Which "Plexi" clone will get this?

carlygtr56

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by ratter

The clean or dirt or both? What's different about it that's missing in the amps you've heard? (I'm trying to listen on laptop speaker so I can't really tell...)

What you're hearing was his "clean" sound. No fuzz on there and he hits the wah a few times.

What's different? It is clean and slightly dirty at the same time.

It's a real tubey warm yet bright tone.

Only time I heard anything near it was in the early 70's I got to play a couple of small box '68 50 watt Marshalls.

• Members

Originally posted by Japetus

Thats a great tone, but I don't think it's hard to achieve it. A lot of it just Jimi's touch.

The upside-downness of his Strat accounts for some as well.....but that is some killer clean/dirty tone IMO.

• Members

Somebody posted them on huge racks....if you can't find them let me know and I'll upload it somewhere...

It's cool/different because he plys the whole vocal melody...

All I can do is hack the SRV version (which is already a hack job, imo....)....lol...don't say that out loud...

• Members

Somebody posted them on huge racks....if you can't find them let me know and I'll upload it somewhere...

It's cool/different because he plys the whole vocal melody...

All I can do is hack the SRV version (which is already a hack job, imo....)....lol...don't say that out loud...

I don't like the SRV version. I agree, he hacked that tune good.

That Carl guy? Great name, but what little video I saw i didn't like.

I posted this over at the MetroAmp board as well. Those amps sound great.... as does your HW.

I am thinking of forgetting getting a channel switch and get a HW or something as good.

• Members

THAT is my favorite version I ever heard. I bought a cassette - Jimi Plays Berkley and it was called Little Ivy. That wah part at the end just THE coolest! Thanks for posting, I lost the cassette and hadn't heard in years. And no, I've never heard an amp sound like that!

• Members

Originally posted by carlygtr56

I don't like the SRV version. I agree, he hacked that tune good.

That Carl guy? Great name, but what little video I saw i didn't like.

I posted this over at the MetroAmp board as well. Those amps sound great.... as does your HW.

I am thinking of forgetting getting a channel switch and get a HW or something as good.

yeah, i read the metro board to try to pick up a thing or two. But I don't post there because they'll just make fun of my store bought amp. :D

http://www.hugeracksinc.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=20006&highlight=verheyen

It's in "part 2"...

• Members

Originally posted by dstroud

THAT is my favorite version I ever heard. I bought a cassette - Jimi Plays Berkley and it was called Little Ivy. That wah part at the end just THE coolest! Thanks for posting, I lost the cassette and hadn't heard in years. And no, I've never heard an amp sound like that!

It's from the original "Hendrix In The West" album.

I got the Jap import of it ages ago. This Little Wing was recorded at the Royal Albert Hall 2/69.

• Members

yeah, i read the metro board to try to pick up a thing or two. But I don't post there because they'll just make fun of my store bought amp.
:D

http://www.hugeracksinc.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=20006&highlight=verheyen

It's in "part 2"...

They got my IP banned at Huge Racks!!

A few Metro forum guys said JTM 45/100.

I had the Germino Monterey-100 and didn't get that tone!!

• Members

Originally posted by jaybird

What live album is that from? Sounds fantastic!

Originally From Hendrix In The West.

That's long out of print. Never released to cd except in Japan.

It's currently on one of the newer Experience Hendrix cds. Maybe the purple box set.

• Members

Let me think....you want the sound of a strat into an old Marshall?

Hey how about getting an old Marshall? Also, the JTM45 reissues and 1987x 50 watters can get that tone too. Can't speak for the 1959 reissues though but would guess they would be in the ballpark.

• Members

Originally posted by plastic

Let me think....you want the sound of a strat into an old Marshall?

Hey how about getting an old Marshall? Also, the JTM45 reissues and 1987x 50 watters can get that tone too. Can't speak for the 1959 reissues though but would guess they would be in the ballpark.

That's funny. His Marshall wasn't old when this was recorded...so, you're recommending a 40 year old rusted hulk of {censored} that has to be completely restored...to which it won't be any better than a clone, IMO.....

I owned more Marshall RI amps than any other. 50 watters, 100 watters, Hendrix purple 100 watt stack, had Kendrick install a PTP board in one, JTM-45 RI's, Blockhead-100, Germino Monterey-1--, Lead 55 , etc etc. Peacemaker

Nothing , IMO gets that tone.

• Members

Originally posted by Roccaforte Amps

I know a Fender Twin when I hear one, thats not Marshall.

it sounds like a Fender to me too. I know when Jimi toured America he used a bandmaster head or something that one of his techs modified. Let me see If I can dig up the info.

I will say my Superbass can get pretty close though.

• Members

Originally posted by carlygtr56

That's funny. His Marshall wasn't old when this was recorded...so, you're recommending a 40 year old rusted hulk of {censored} that has to be completely restored...to which it won't be any better than a clone, IMO.....

I owned more Marshall RI amps than any other. 50 watters, 100 watters, Hendrix purple 100 watt stack, had Kendrick install a PTP board in one, JTM-45 RI's, Blockhead-100, Germino Monterey-1--, Lead 55 , etc etc. Peacemaker

Nothing , IMO gets that tone.

It's the afro dude. You need the afro to get that tone.

• Members

Originally posted by telephant

it sounds like a Fender to me too. I know when Jimi toured America he used a bandmaster head or something that one of his techs modified. Let me see If I can dig up the info.

I will say my Superbass can get pretty close though.

It's not a Twin, but the JTM 45/100 and a Twin are not far off from each other, IMO.

Archived