Which "Plexi" clone will get this?

carlygtr56

• Members

Hey Carl,
I don't have time to read every post here but how often have you dimed your plexis? I think a big part of Jimis tone was the VOLUME he played at. That kind of volume will get you kicked out of clubs or have the cops called on you at home.
Bob

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by GuitArtMan

Hey Carl,

I don't have time to read every post here but how often have you dimed your plexis? I think a big part of Jimis tone was the
VOLUME
he played at. That kind of volume will get you kicked out of clubs or have the cops called on you at home.

Bob

I agree. I've dimed the Germino Monterey-100 I had, thru a Hot Plate anyway...and the whole sensitivity factor goes way up. Turn the guitar down a bit and , I agree, you get a great Hendrix clean/dirty tone.

Same with the Peacemaker. I've dimed that but with the power reduction on full....same type effect.

• Members
Originally posted by '63-Strat

I believe you, Carl. Must be those 6550s then
;)

i dont think so :). the article i've read says he swapped for 6550 mentioned that would be around 1980. no way he would use that in 67 already. furthermore, why dont trust your ears for a sec? this is a fender sound for sure. then... look the video very closely and slow it down on certain points. there are plexi and other amps --> fender amps. behind the stacks. and there are indeed people watching over these amps. as they are close to the crowd.

• Members
Originally posted by ReneSteur

i dont think so
:)
. the article i've read says he swapped for 6550 mentioned that would be around 1980. no way he would use that in 67 already. furthermore, why dont trust your ears for a sec? this is a fender sound for sure. then... look the video very closely and slow it down on certain points. there are plexi and other amps --> fender amps. behind the stacks. and there are indeed people watching over these amps. as they are close to the crowd.

1980? Are you talking about Marshall switching to 6550s for reliability? Because that's NOT what I'm referring to at all, and coincidentally Hendrix died in 1970 :rolleyes:

• Members

63 strat,
yes Jim marshall heard about all the talk about the Fender 4-10 bassman.. so he came over here bought one took it back to england changed a few things and POOF marshall amplification was born... everybody thinks he's a saint.. but he's really just a common theif...!!!

( boy that last statement gonna get me in trouble ):rolleyes:

Bill

BTW if anybody around the nashville area needs a tech contact me

• Members
Originally posted by bibleboy3

63 strat,

yes Jim marshall heard about all the talk about the Fender 4-10 bassman.. so he came over here bought one took it back to england changed a few things and POOF marshall amplification was born... everybody thinks he's a saint.. but he's really just a common theif...!!!

( boy that last statement gonna get me in trouble )
:rolleyes:

Bill

BTW if anybody around the nashville area needs a tech contact me

You obviously didn't detect my sarcasm. I'd be surprised if 99% of people on this board didn't know that. And given that Leo actually copied circuits from RCA handbooks, calling Jim Marshall a thief makes you look foolish.

• Members

i dont think so
:)
. the article i've read says he swapped for 6550 mentioned that would be around 1980. no way he would use that in 67 already. furthermore, why dont trust your ears for a sec? this is a fender sound for sure. then... look the video very closely and slow it down on certain points. there are plexi and other amps --> fender amps. behind the stacks. and there are indeed people watching over these amps. as they are close to the crowd.

Sure there are.
Yeah, that would be around 1980...about 10 years after he died:eek:

I watched a clear dvd of the show. You're wrong. I also listened to the whole show as well as the rehearsals. Guess what? You're wrong.
Ask people to use their ears when you don't even know the guy was dead ten years by 1980?

• Members

everybody thinks he's a saint.. but he's really just a common theif...!!!

BTW,

if anybody is looking for a plexi clone contact me .. I will taylor it to your specs.

lol...I have to call ADT...have them reset my douchebag alarm...

• Members

Hey ratter,
Check out pg 49 of "the tube amp book" 4th edition BTW Aspen Pittman was very kind in his story on Marshall..

also in case you're curious I'm a " E.E.T. " for a moron like you that translates to " Electronic Engineering Technician" I've worked for different department of defence contractors on missle guidance systems. and right now I'm currently employed by Honeywell as a E.E.T. so building a tube amp is a piece of cake..

Bill

• Members

Hey ratter,

Check out pg 49 of "the tube amp book" 4th edition BTW Aspen Pittman was very kind in his story on Marshall..

also in case you're curious I'm a " E.E.T. " for a moron like you that translates to " Electronic Engineering Technician" I've worked for different department of defence contractors on missle guidance systems. and right now I'm currently employed by Honeywell as a E.E.T. so building a tube amp is a piece of cake..

Bill

Hey ET,

If you check Page 50 of the book (shown here) you'll read a different account of the whole story.

Love,

ratter

• Members

At what point in the clip is there a clear shot of Fender amps behind the Marshalls? I watched it a few times and didn't see any.

At first, I was gonna say that maybe he's plugged into both, but his cable doesn't appear to be split. It looks like it runs right into the Marshall. On Youtube, there are vids of Hear My Train A Comin' and Wild Thing from this show. You can see a closer view during Wild Thing when he starts smashing his strat into the Marshalls at the end.

• Members

Originally posted by Hendrix95

At what point in the clip is there a clear shot of Fender amps behind the Marshalls? I watched it a few times and didn't see any.

At first, I was gonna say that maybe he's plugged into both, but his cable doesn't appear to be split. It looks like it runs right into the Marshall. On Youtube, there are vids of Hear My Train A Comin' and Wild Thing from this show. You can see a closer view during Wild Thing when he starts smashing his strat into the Marshalls at the end.

There is no clear shot. Everything is right there on stage. It doesn't look like there was a whole lot of room either.

Anybody that has collected photos or watched shows, will see whatever Hendrix used, be it 3 stacks, or in '67/ '68 alot of Fender and Sunn was used as well....the {censored} was right out there on stage. None of this hide the amp horse{censored}.......

It's 3 {censored}ing stacks. If he had a Twin , you can rest assured, it would be out there.

People guess......no proof.....I post other tunes from the SAME SHOW that it's obviously Marshall, and they stretch it to fit there fantasy. Yeah, it was a Twin...yeah, those other songs sound like a Marshall though...maybe he switched? Yeah right......some kid who was BORN in '85 knows the answer to what I watched for the last 30 years:wave:

• Members

look the video very closely and slow it down on certain points. there are plexi and other amps --> fender amps. behind the stacks. and there are indeed people watching over these amps. as they are close to the crowd.

My point exactly. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by carlygtr56

There is no clear shot. Everything is right there on stage. It doesn't look like there was a whole lot of room either.

Anybody that has collected photos or watched shows, will see whatever Hendrix used, be it 3 stacks, or in '67/ '68 alot of Fender and Sunn was used as well....the {censored} was right out there on stage. None of this hide the amp horse{censored}.......

It's 3 {censored}ing stacks. If he had a Twin , you can rest assured, it would be out there.

People guess......no proof.....I post other tunes from the SAME SHOW that it's obviously Marshall, and they stretch it to fit there fantasy. Yeah, it was a Twin...yeah, those other songs sound like a Marshall though...maybe he switched? Yeah right......some kid who was BORN in '85 knows the answer to what I watched for the last 30 years:wave:

I never said there was a clear shot. I said that you can see amps behind the stage, and that they might be Fenders. I even pointed the exact part where you can see them. If you missed that, there isn

• Members
Originally posted by Tatosh

I never said there was a clear shot. I said that you can see amps behind the stage, and that they might be Fenders. I even pointed the exact part where you can see them. If you missed that, there isn

• Members

How old are you? What do you know about what they did in '69 in reference to Hendrix's gear?

"Might" is a big word, especially since there are no Fenders on stage, only Sunn and WEM pa and monitor gear besides 6 Marshall stacks.

The Marshall heads are switch ON, the plugs are in the Marshalls...the Marshall cab is miked. What's wrong with you?

You think that whole concert sounds like a Twin? If you do you need your ears checked.

I saw a clear shot on my vid behind the stacks. No Fender, no Twin. Only in your head.

I HAVE audio of Hendrix playing thru Twins and Showmans. Totally different tone.

+1000

BTW, are you Carl F, from back in the days of John Ou? If so then it's good to see you're still around. I've missed this place.

• Members
Originally posted by Beer Drinker

+1000

BTW, are you Carl F, from back in the days of John Ou? If so then it's good to see you're still around. I've missed this place.

The one and only, from the infamous Ou wars. Mike V posts here once in a blue moon as well. He was helpful in the whelping of the Mighty Ou.:thu:

• Members

How old are you? What do you know about what they did in '69 in reference to Hendrix's gear?

"Might" is a big word, especially since there are no Fenders on stage, only Sunn and WEM pa and monitor gear besides 6 Marshall stacks.

The Marshall heads are switch ON, the plugs are in the Marshalls...the Marshall cab is miked. What's wrong with you?

You think that whole concert sounds like a Twin? If you do you need your ears checked.

I saw a clear shot on my vid behind the stacks. No Fender, no Twin. Only in your head.

I HAVE audio of Hendrix playing thru Twins and Showmans. Totally different tone.

I have read the mentioned references. I know there are other parts of the concert that sound like a Marshall. I was only talking about the mentioned sound on the mentioned song.

I mean, I know the Marshalls are turned on and miked, dude. He surely used them on that gig. But people have known to use morew than one amp per gig.

Be honest dude. Regardless of what you see, doesn

• Members
Originally posted by Tatosh

I have read the mentioned references. I know there are other parts of the concert that sound like a Marshall. I was only talking about the mentioned sound on the mentioned song.

I mean, I know the Marshalls are turned on and miked, dude. He surely used them on that gig. But people have known to use morew than one amp per gig.

Be honest dude. Regardless of what you see, doesn

• Members

Somebody could have said the tone resembled a Crate as well. What help is that?

I wanted to know what era Marshall it was. It's obvious it's a Marshall.

I ran the tunes past MetroAmp AND Germino, btw.

Gee, neither Marshall guru thought it was a Fender.

:wave:

I agree with George......JTM 45/100 with KT66

Archived