Pease Help Me Choose a Pickup For MY NEW LTD MH-301 (PICS)*

Chrisjd

• Members

Hey guys, i am a metal head. all my guitars have emg 81's in them. while i love that pickup for its extreme sounds, i I want a different pickup for my new ESP LTD MH-301 i just got off Ebay for only $295! the guitar is a mahogany body, with a rosewood fretboard. it also has a floyd unfortunately, and locking tuners. I need something that is going to be really mean and pissed off sounding, i need more than a jb fyi. the qualities i am looking for are, a really raw sound. i want a real raw, abbrasive tone, not a smooth sounding pickup. clarity, i need something that isnt going to mud up a ton. I dont need a pickup with a lot of bass, as bass just tends to muffle some of the raw characteristics that i desire. i am willing to do passive or active.

Thanks so much guys.

PS here is the guitar!

8b_1_sbl.JPG

6d_1_sbl.JPG

29_1_sbl.JPG

• Members

I sampled a few pickups this last weekend in my Schecter C1+ (Mahogany) - A JB, An Invader and a Dimarzio Super Distortion. To me the Super Distortion sounded the best through my Fireball, good clarity and pretty much no low end 'mud' which I had with the stock pups. A little bassy, but tweaking the eq helped. I'm sticking with the SD for now.

• Members

Originally posted by surgeonofdemise

I sampled a few pickups this last weekend in my Schecter C1+ (Mahogany) - A JB, An Invader and a Dimarzio Super Distortion. To me the Super Distortion sounded the best through my Fireball, good clarity and pretty much no low end 'mud' which I had with the stock pups. A little bassy, but tweaking the eq helped. I'm sticking with the SD for now.

sweet, i have heard mixed things about the dimarzios, but you make it sound good! how were the invaders in comparison?

• Members

The Invaders to me had kind of a 'nasaly' midrange spike which I didn't like. I had them in a Jackson JS30RR which sounded ok, but still midrangey. I'm not too big a fan of 'em.

I just like the SD's for now, plus pups are pretty easy to change, so if I don't like 'em down the road it's no prob to change again!

• Members

Dimarzio Super Distortion. It isn't bassy in itself btw--if your guitar sounds bassy with it, that's the guitar doing the talking. :) The Super Distortion hasn't got a ton of bass; it's actually more about aggressive mids.

I bought one today to put in one of my guitars which was a bit too bassy and warm sounding for my tastes. Fixed it up just right.

• Members

Originally posted by Nacher

People rarely seem to recommend Gibson pickups, but maybe you should look into Gibson 500T super ceramic? It's really in-your-face and grinding and hot.

Indeed. I put one in a 91' Jackson soloist. Love it. Otherwise I have a MH 301 with a Dmar tone Zone and an Air norton at neck. The tone Zone is pretty mid/high heavy. I have to tweek my amp a bit with that one. Kind of like a Super D with a higher mid spike. The Air Norton is fabulus in the neck slot. It's got a sort of dark, ominous , glassy tone with lots of low beef that doesn't mud out. Not the greatest for low rythym stuff in my opinion but very nice for lead tone. I'd say $295.00 is a good if not great price for that. It's a very stable guitar, even with the floyd. I was thinkin about sellin mine but not that cheap. I'd check out an Air norton though. Very different from the EMG's.

• Members

nice guitar,
any chance you could throw up some pics when you get it? i've been looking at those but couldn't find any good pics that showed the finish

the duncan invader has a real crisp abrasive tone like your describing, the lows are kinda muddy tho IMO

to me, it sounds kinda like the JB is what you're describing...maybe e mail the guys at duncan and see what pickup they say compares to a JB like you're describing?

• Members

Originally posted by cobrahead1030

nice guitar,

any chance you could throw up some pics when you get it? i've been looking at those but couldn't find any good pics that showed the finish

the duncan invader has a real crisp abrasive tone like your describing, the lows are kinda muddy tho IMO

to me, it sounds kinda like the JB is what you're describing...maybe e mail the guys at duncan and see what pickup they say compares to a JB like you're describing?

sweet, i will definetely post some pics when i get it.

Archived