66 bassman pics.......

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

Ok, this is my 66 bassman head..........what would you recomend for refurbishment? It's in rough shape.......someone replaced the tolex with gator skin kind. Yuck. Some of the posts are sketchy, but all work......a lot of surface rust. I have played it and it's perfect. I've also had the luxury to crank it up to 10 through a Vox 2x12 cab...............:rolleyes: WOW, smooth natural overdrive but will blow your ear drums...............SORRY no clips......yet...........but here are the pictures.

• Members

here mine
Picture009.jpg

Picture007.jpg

it used to look like this

IMG_0240.jpg

here are some inside shots AA864 circuit from 1964.

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

got a recap kit from allen amps and the front and back panels from someone at the fender forum. i forgot his name but did a great job. you could also get a new head case from mojo cabs i think.

• Members

Sometimes I wonder why you guys tolex your amps when you could just spraypaint them with textured paint or even go as far as paint them with that beadliner that comes in a bucket at walmart. I had an amp with a spray on material that was impossible to scratch and waterproof...if you're going to gig with an amp I'd say put as tough an outer shell on it as possible.

• Members
Sometimes I wonder why you guys tolex your amps when you could just spraypaint them with textured paint or even go as far as paint them with that beadliner that comes in a bucket at walmart.

Tolex looks awesome on amps, especially when it's new and done right. Spraypaint looks like {censored}. Kind of a no-brainer, both for those who want their amps to look awesome, as well as for those who want their amps to look like {censored}, I'd say. :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by m-theory

Tolex looks awesome on amps, especially when it's new and done right. Spraypaint looks like {censored}. Kind of a no-brainer, both for those who want their amps to look awesome, as well as for those who want their amps to look like {censored}, I'd say.
:thu:

Oh really? How many amps have you seen spray painted? There is textured paint out there that looks like tolex and when you spray it on your amp it's like seamless tolex...The Johnson amps were covered like this I know.

http://johnson-amp.com/

• Members

So...if I look real hard...how much can I expect to pay for a Bassman in decent working order?

With cabinet, $800-$1200, depending upon condition.

BF head only, $350-$500, depending upon condition. You might be able to find a SF head for slightly less, but not much.

Anything you find would have to be gone through regardless of whether it's working at the time of purchase or not. At the very least, you'll need to replace the death cord with a 3-pronger, and replace the crusty filter caps, to prevent a catastrophic failure at some point.

• Members
Oh really? How many amps have you seen spray painted?

A few. I look for these turds, frankly. They generally go pretty cheap, because they look like {censored}, and nobody wants them. Except me. They can be recovered. :D

There is textured paint out there that looks like tolex and when you spray it on your amp it's like seamless tolex

JBL speakers are sprayed with this stuff. It works great on speakers, but it wouldn't be my choice at all on an amp, particularly a vintage box like a BF Bassman. I just think it looks cheap and crappy on amps, that's all. To each their own.

• Members
Originally posted by m-theory

A few. I look for these turds, frankly. They generally go pretty cheap, because they look like {censored}, and nobody wants them. Except me. They can be recovered.
:D

JBL speakers are sprayed with this stuff. It works great on speakers, but it wouldn't be my choice at all on an amp, particularly a vintage box like a BF Bassman. I just think it looks cheap and crappy on amps, that's all. To each their own.

A bunch of seams and metal corners looks cheap to me. Looks like you didn't spend the proper time making sure your {censored} was strait because you knew you could just cover it up with a corner...

• Members

A bunch of seams and metal corners looks cheap to me. Looks like you didn't spend the proper time making sure your {censored} was strait because you knew you could just cover it up with a corner...

Ok, dude. Whatever works for you. Btw, I have a cousin who painted a '67 fastback Mustang with two cases of Coast-to-Coast spray bombs. I hope you won't be offended when I say that it looked like {censored} too.

• Members

It's a 66' with the David Allen mod. Kick ass Marshall crunch on the Bass side which is Tweed Bassman/ Plexi Marshall tones.

Very nice looking amp! I've got a '66 as well, though I opted for a full-on plexi mod, including EL34's. As long as I was completely gutting the entire amp, I went for my favorite Fender cosmetic look...blonde tolex w/gold sparkle grille cloth. This was a pretty rare annointment, only appearing for a few months in 1964.

Most of the few Bassman amps that received this blonde/gold adornment were 6G6 circuits (presence knob), but a few legitimate BF models snuck out with it as well.

Archived