Uberschall Presence Control - Greatest Tone Knob Ever?

russellconner

• Members

hey guys...was messing with the uber yesterday, and decided to throw this out there.

what other amps have you played through, that have an unusual but extremely effective tone control like the uber's presence (dirty channel)?

the presence controls on my 94 dual rec are similar in being unorthodox, but not quite as dramatic in effect as the uber's. the orange channel presence control is pretty cool, in that it basically controls how much harmonics/fizz you get with the gain. the modern channel presence control seems to adjust the level of bite/sharpness in the sound. set low, the tone is bassy and dark...up high the tone is punchy and brighter.

i dont know about you other uber owners, but i just cant get over the tons of different sounds that are available just in the range of the presence control.

-russell

• Members

im all over the place with mine...it sounds great just about anywhere, to me.

i agree with you shiny, it seems to act as a mid boost of some sort. but, have you noticed how it also brings out some low end and treble bite at the same time...as you turn it up?

i have no idea how its doing it, but man, what a great idea by bogner.

where yours is set in that picture, is where i have mine if im tinkering with getting a metallica MOP/AJFA type tone...its not exact, but that presence setting helps it get close (to my wasted ears anyway).

i cant seem to make up my mind on a consistent level of gain, either. i tend to bounce around the area between 10:00 and 2:00. i like the treble with the gain at 10:00 or so...it has bite without too much sizzle, but then i also like the thicker low end and smoother sound with the gain higher. i think my problem is, that ive got an amp that just fits me too well...im not able to pick one favorite setting and go with it.

-russell

• Members

Originally posted by russellconner

im all over the place with mine...it sounds great just about anywhere, to me.

i agree with you shiny, it seems to act as a mid boost of some sort. but, have you noticed how it also brings out some low end and treble bite at the same time...as you turn it up?

i have no idea how its doing it, but man, what a great idea by bogner.

where yours is set in that picture, is where i have mine if im tinkering with getting a metallica MOP/AJFA type tone...its not exact, but that presence setting helps it get close (to my wasted ears anyway).

i cant seem to make up my mind on a consistent level of gain, either. i tend to bounce around the area between 10:00 and 2:00. i like the treble with the gain at 10:00 or so...it has bite without too much sizzle, but then i also like the thicker low end and smoother sound with the gain higher. i think my problem is, that ive got an amp that just fits me too well...im not able to pick one favorite setting and go with it.

-russell

Yeah I'm all over the place with my settings, they never stay the same :D

• Members

Originally posted by Bob Savage

Yep, that's
the
tone shaping control on that amp, IMO.

hey bob,

ive never played through one, so i dont know why, but ive wanted a VHT UL since i bought my dual rec in 94. there are no dealers anywhere close to me, so it would probably be a blind purchase through musicians fiend.

ive been following along in some of your post-VHT threads, and am wondering what you decided on a cabinet? are you getting the FB 4x12...or have you already?

for me, i tend to go all-in on these sorts of deals...i would probably pull the trigger on the UL head/FB 4x12 combo when i do finally go for it.

what do you hear as differences between the UL and uber high gain sounds? if i was matching gain for gain, where would the ubers gain knob be when it matched the UL's max gain setting?

does the UL have as much low end as the uber...does it hold together at high volume as well as the uber?

how about the mids?...are they low-mid emphasis, like the uber and mesas? or does it have a brighter, marshall-esque type of midrange?

sorry for the ton of questions, but really wanted to ask since i had you in here...and for an uber owner like me, youre the one to ask.

-russell

• Members

i think thats what part of what makes them so interesting to me.

my uber and dual rec both hammer the bass and low mids really well, and i love that type of sound...but i would also like to have something with a more conventional voicing that has more midrange content, and a little less boom. does that make sense?

with the UL having three channels, switchable boosts and EQ, and the different sound of KT-88's...it just seems like it would cover a lot of ground that my uber and dual may not be able to get into.

-russell

• Members

hey guys...was messing with the uber yesterday, and decided to throw this out there.

what other amps have you played through, that have an unusual but extremely effective tone control like the uber's presence (dirty channel)?

Since we're talking about them,

The Mark series (and most Mesas) have a really responsive treble and presence control because they are pre-gain. Crank them up and they are real effective and also change the level and gain. That's the key to a good Mesa sound IMO.

• Members

Originally posted by Shiny_Surface

The presence knob on the Uberschall seems to add midrange to my ears......

I seen a clip of the guy from bogner given an over veiw of the amp to a crowd of people and that exactly what he said it does... It effects the mids but I am not sure how...

onehourburn

:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by xiwiwix

pfft! No less than 3 O'Clock!
:mad:

137069739.jpg

Take Care

WOW!

i just tried out the settings on the distortion channel that i saw in your pic of the uber...and the tone was kickass!

thanks for posting the pic...i guess i havent played around enough with the treble knob to get it that far down. basically, with my setup, it seemed to lower the frequency where the treble bite was...turning sizzle into bite.

now, my sound is probably still pretty bright compared to others...im running emg's. but for my hearing, thats probably a good thing!

-russell

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

WOW!

i just tried out the settings on the distortion channel that i saw in your pic of the uber...and the tone was kickass!

thanks for posting the pic...i guess i havent played around enough with the treble knob to get it that far down. basically, with my setup, it seemed to lower the frequency where the treble bite was...turning sizzle into bite.

now, my sound is probably still pretty bright compared to others...im running emg's. but for my hearing, thats probably a good thing!

-russell

Thanks! :o

Take Care

• Members

i was about to start an "uber owners" question thread, but i'll just ask here instead.

have any of you Uber owners(past & present) ever slaved out of the uber into another power amp? i've been kicking around getting an uber and another power amp to do a wet dry set-up. wondering if anyone's tried it and what the results were.

• Members

To me it would make more sense if Bogner simply called the treble knob "presense" because that's the one that adds sizzle and harmonics to the Uber.

And the current Presence knob on the Uber lies somewhere in between the midrange and treble on most other amps.

If the Uber had more upper mid "clang" I probably wouldn't have sold mine but I regard those frequencies as being totally essential (for the sound I like as well as cutting through, mixing purposes, etc)

Archived