Mike Landau fans???

ratter

• Members

I know we got at least a few Landau nuts here...

Man, I am really getting into this dude's playing. I think my favorite thing about him is how he'll go from the most beautiful clean strat sound to just a total raging out-of-control fuzz/od madness from moment to moment.

I picked up an arion sch-1 a while back and when I switch it on it just makes me think of his tone...

I was wanking around with it earlier...

Clip.

So far I only have the Live 2000 album and misc bits here and there that I picked up on the net. What else should I get of his?

• Members

Huge fan. Somebody turned me on to Landau in the mid 90's.

Had the Tyler Burning Water and Mike Landau models too!

Best {censored} is the Burning Water and Raging Honkie stuff.

I got tons of live footage of both bands I'm currently getting on to dvd.

Raging Honkies was like Nirvana meets Band of Gypsys. Incredable band, as was Burning Water.

The guy gets tone nomatter what gear he uses. One of my favorite players.:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by ratter

I have a bad Raging Honkies boot vid from GIT. Playing is great, quality is bad. But I watch it like a crackhead with my nose 6-inches from the tv anyway.....

I got the GIT from '94, I got the one from '95 as well, which is awesome.

Got them tearing up at a NAMM show in '95 w/ Hodsworth in the audience. Bunch of other stuff as well.

• Members

I know we got at least a few Landau nuts here...

Man, I am really getting into this dude's playing. I think my favorite thing about him is how he'll go from the most beautiful clean strat sound to just a total raging out-of-control fuzz/od madness from moment to moment.

I picked up an arion sch-1 a while back and when I switch it on it just makes me think of his tone...

I was wanking around with it earlier...

So far I only have the Live 2000 album and misc bits here and there that I picked up on the net. What else should I get of his?

Burning Water and The Raging Honkies are excellent records, and show a whole bunch of tones he comes up with! I remember seeing them play 'Machine' on Conan or something... it was awesome. I'd love to see more live footage though!

• Members

You paying somebody to transfer the vids to DVD? Because I know somebody who would do it for free in exchange for getting to see the vids.
:D

I just got a DVD recorder....I'm having a great time transfering my videos to DVD. Did quite a few so far and they come out great.

Just did the old PBS Soundstage Journey w/ Neil Schon, and Albert King and a few other blues guys jam with them.

I gotta figure how to get the dvd into the pc so I can put {censored} up on the vid sites

• Members

So a lot of his stuff is modded Marshall? And Super Reverb? Any tricks on his strats? I noticed a lot of bridge buckers...

IMO, it doesn't matter. No secret to his tones, IMO

Whether it's his Marshall (modded or not?) Twin, OD-100, Guytron, varius Fenders, the guy gets great tone.

He uses pedals:thu:

• Members

Yup, big fan here. When I've seen him live, he was switched from either a gold top LP to a red Tyler strat and ran them into a pedal board into a Marshall 1959SLP mic'd into his effects rack. I spotted a BOSS TU-12H tuner (or something like that) and a Tube Screamer. I like his 80's studio tones with all the SPX Symphonic chorus and stuff. Great player that most people of heard of by playing but not by name. He's talked about a lot over at HugeRacksInc along with Lukather whom I like as well.

• Members

Saw him last night at Tone Merchants. What a treat. The guy is the most dynamic player I have seen. Just works the guitars and pedals like nobody out there ( except maybe Jeff Beck) but Landau is a God. The show was about two hours, the tones incredible and his playing just awesome. I have lots of video and all the cds but seeing the guy live and how he controls the entire level of the band dynamics, his awesome playing and feel and man was I digging it. I would see him as often as possible.

Gearwise it was a Suhr OD100 Classic with a wet dry setup and a small rack and some pedals. Roger mayer Voodoo Vibe, Teese Wah,Maxon SD9, Arion Chorus. Depending on the gain level he wanted it would be amp clean, amp with 2nd channel, sometimes would kick in boost and sometimes SD9. Had huge sound. Guitarwise a Suhr strat and 60s Strat I believe.

• Members

What's in the wet signal, just verb and delay?

Yes. Had a pair of mics on the dry 2X12 and a single mic on one of the wet 2X10s. Not sure how his setup works but man was it a killer and nice and loud setup. Just monsterous.

• Members

They've got some pics of some of Landau's setups at hugracksinc, at least they did, haven't been there in a while. IIRC, he would go guitar->pedals->amp->miced amp cab->Aphex 107 mic pre->Lexicon effects processor->Mosvalve power amp->PA speakers. Similar to what Larry Carlton and Eric Johnson do for their wet/dr or wet/dry/wet setups.

Pain-in-the-ass to set up and mic live but sounds huge. I know he's been using the OD-100 lately but he pretty much sounds the same regardless of what he plays through. He's used lots of different gear over the years and I remember someone selling a bunch of it for him recently on ebay. I know he's well known for that Arion chorus pedal, SPX-90 syphonic chorus, Lexicon verb/delay; something like that.

• Members

just walked in the door from the sat. night tone merchant landau show. i couldn't resist and man am i glad i charged down!

this will be the 4th time i've seen him. he's a stud man. his tone is always so great it should be a national treasure!

makes me wanna run out and buy a lexicon verb and a marshall valvestate 80/80 power amp! sounded to me like he was sending stereo delay into a reverb patch, and that the reverb had a medium length but very bright decay

one of the few guys i don't think i will ever get tired of hearing play live. he sets you up with those haunting clean tones at lower volumes and then punches you hard with that filthy oily sledgehammer rock crunch.

the od100 sounded awesome and although the suhr strat tone was equally impressive, there is something about an old strat that reminds me of a well worn river rock...smoother but still retains the bell-like clean and vocal roar on dirty tones.

carlton may still have a slightly bigger overall tone, but mikey is way cooler

:cool:

• Members

carl!

man i wish you could have seen him saturday...

huge tone and his playing defines cool. i got killed years ago on the plexi palace forum for proclaiming mikey the modern hendrix, but that statement still stands for me.

not for the visual stage persona or historic impact, but for the soulful expressive playing and master strat tones.

• Members

Originally posted by mentoneman

carl!

man i wish you could have seen him saturday...

huge tone and his playing defines cool. i got killed years ago on the plexi palace forum for proclaiming mikey the modern hendrix, but that statement still stands for me.

not for the visual stage persona or historic impact, but for the soulful expressive playing and master strat tones.

I agree. He dresses down and lets his guitar do the talking. I'm into Landau from mid 90's. I forgot when my collector buddy sent me my first Mike tape, but I was instantly hooked.

It gets no better, for me, than Burning Water and the Honkies.....I'm sure I'd dig his current band.

I'm currently getting all my Landau stuff to dvd, so I'm revisiting tapes I haven't seen in a while.

In one Honkie GIT show, he breaks a string, and is able to finish the tune completely out of tune, yet he made something musical out of it. Amazing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi there Ratter,

I suggest you try to get Karizma - Document album & Michael Landau's - Tales From The Bulge album it has all those arion chorus dripping sounds and beautiful spongy overdriven guitar tones and great clean sounds too. But i guess the best is seeing him live and in action. ;) Again nice sound clip of the Arion Chorus in action! :)

Archived