Nord Wave vs. Korg Microsampler

John_McEnroe

• Members

yeah they're pretty much apples and tractors.

One thing to have in mind is that the wave doesn't sample per se. You have to download the sounds from the computer. But once they're there you have a full control over all synthesis parameters. envelopes, LFOs, etc...Not to mention that it's a very capable VA and FM synth as well.

The microsampler seems to be more of point and shoot kind of thing. You can easily sample on the fly and make quick sequences with the recorded samples. But you have minimal control over them form a synthesis point of view (I think you only have one fx to shape the samples and resampling)

• Members

Can't really vote as one is actually intended to be a sampler and the other sort of doubles as one, but really leans more towards sample manipulation/samples as an additional sound source for synthesis. They really are totally different. I'm glad the microsampler exists, as it's a cheap way for musicians to play key mapped samples live with a keyboard. Prior to the microsampler it was pretty much Nord Wave, Blofeld keyboard, or Laptop, none of which being a very cheap option.

I really would like both a Nord Wave AND a Microsampler :idk:

• Members

It seems that I am the only one that voted for the microsampler.

Ok how about THIS:

Would you rather have a nordlead 2 AND a microsampler, or just a nord wave?

I think the workflow involved in trying to use a Nord Wave like a real sampler (as opposed to a mere player of samples) would be just too frustrating for most people. Given the above three choices, Nord Wave + Microsampler would probably be the best option. Just eat cheap ramen for a couple of months to afford the Nord Wave.

Thus for workflow reasons, I'd say go for either your first option, or sub a Nord Electro 3 for the Lead, as it has the Mellotron samples - like the Nord Wave - as well as your bread and butter key sounds (piano, organ, etc.). If you're not married to the Nord brand, of course, there are other options.

• Members

Hmm, I can see why you have 12,000 posts. Riveting commentary!

I'd pick the Nord Wave.

Then I'd probably sell it and buy something else from the money.

edit: no, seriously, the price difference alone should probably tell you a lot. People who are going to pick one will most likely not consider the other. Now, if this was a MicroKorg vs Micron thread...

Archived