what's your definition of great tone?

homemade

• Members

Originally posted by Random Hero

James Hetfield always has great tone, IMO.

You got his Recto settings up at your site bro? I haven't been over in a while, and i'm lazy.
:)

Eh, the site's frozen again :mad:

But here are his Triple recto settings (used backstage and at one-off performances):

Red Channel

Master: 10:00

Presence: 12:30

Bass: 11:30

Mids: 11:30

Treble 12:00

Gain: 12:30

MJ

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Sordid1

As far as I know James has NEVER played a Recto. He used Mark II's up until he got the Diezel a few years back. I have never heard anything he played that sounded like one either but I could be wrong.

I thought he used 2 channel Blackface models along with the Diezel for smaller gigs when he doesn't have his huge rack?

• Members

Originally posted by 4nkam

Eh, the site's frozen again
:mad:

But here are his Triple recto settings (used backstage and at one-off performances):

Red Channel

Master: 10:00

Presence: 12:30

Bass: 11:30

Mids: 11:30

Treble 12:00

Gain: 12:30

MJ

:thu:

One-off performances being the ones I mentioned just above? Smaller shows where he uses a Blackface along with his Diezel?

• Members

As far as I know James has NEVER played a Recto. He used Mark II's up until he got the Diezel a few years back. I have never heard anything he played that sounded like one either but I could be wrong.

He's used them since the mid 1990s but not on the full on tour performances. Although, he supposedly used his Triple Recto during lollapalooza 96. Otherwise, it's only used backstage, during rehearsals, or at small one-off shows (raiders gig, kimos, tower records parking lot for load release, etc).

MJ

• Members

:thu:

One-off performances being the ones I mentioned just above? Smaller shows where he uses a Blackface along with his Diezel?

Yep. In the past, it was usually JUST his blackface triple recto though. It hasn't been until recently that he's added a VH4 from his live rig to his one-off "rig."

Recto and VH4 @ hall of fame:

feabd71b.jpg

Recto on St. anger tour, backstage:

james.jpg

MJ

• Members

heh, duuuh
:D:wave:

Wasn't he a heavy Triaxis user throughout the 90s?

He still is...Since the mid 90s he's used 4 Triaxis in his rack (only two are active, two are backups). One is for the IIC+ tone, the other for Recto. The IIC+ triaxis has a custom Boogie graphic EQ in the loop too.

MJ

• Members

Originally posted by 4nkam

He still is...Since the mid 90s he's used 4 Triaxis in his rack (only two are active, two are backups). One is for the IIC+ tone, the other for Recto. The IIC+ triaxis has a custom Boogie graphic EQ in the loop too.

MJ

2004:

jamesoverseasrig2.jpg

2003, recording st. anger:

hettriaxis.jpg

1997-ish:

0c8da908.jpg

late 90s:

mbracks.jpg

MJ

• Members

heh, duuuh
:D:wave:

Wasn't he a heavy Triaxis user throughout the 90s?

Fine I stand corrected. I saw them on Lollapalooza 96 and i'm pretty sure that wasn't a recto on that tour or at least it didn't sound like one.

• Members

Originally posted by dughaze

Petrucci's rhythm tone on Awake and Images and Words is my favorite recorded tone... TUHDAY.

That is one bad ass rythm sound for sure. The first time I heard pull me under I nearly crapped my pants it sounded so good. The production on both of those is top notch too.

• Members

Originally posted by gafyagaton

I dont know who the lead guitarist is or what guitar he is using or what amp he is using...... but this lead tone.

oooops. I linked to the wrong video.

This is the lead tone i hear in my head.

But my actual lead tone sounds more akin to "pignose" tone.

• Members

If it sounds like that first song off A Catch Without Arms by Dredg, or possibly Billy Howerdel's tone on Mer de Noms... that's my idea of great tone.

Basically, hot-rodded marshall with screaming, roaring upper mids. Everything else is just... somewhat cool.

• Members

clean: just any clear sounding clean

hi-gain crunching:and most importantly, an agressive hi-gain tone that cuts throught well with lots opfff upper end and presence, but not so much that it's unpleasnt. a nice raise in the upper mids and lower end, and scooped out lower mids. i like it with enought gain to have some "fizz" over my plammutes, but not so much that it compresses alot or gets muddy

shredding: a fluid searing tone thats harmonicy

• Members

Great tone is the one that doesn't bug you. The way I see it, when you have great tone you concentrate less on the tone - it's just an extension of your playing. The moment it becomes too harsh, too dark, too honky, too tubby, too thin, too loose, too tight etc. it starts to bug you - you can still continue playing but you won't be totally satisfied.

• Members

I personally don't think there is a specific formula for great tone because there are a million tones out there that I love. To me the player is about 80% of it and from there it's that person having the right amp for their style. I have played thru amps that sound ok at best with me playing them and others sound amazing thru them.

I totally agree. I have heard so many guitarist's tones that I love, but I would never be comfortable using. Vox, Matchless, Orange, Dr.Z, Top Hat, Rivera, Mesa... they all can sound great, but MY tone is Marshall, with lots of lows and mids, and always overdriven. It's just.....

Archived