Is the V-Synth GT dead??

Bach42t

• Members

I read on the rolandclan/fantomized forums that a rep from Sweetwater indicated the GT is being discontinued due to weak market demand and slow sales. I honestly don't know anyone who has one and I look at the ridiculous MAP price that seems to go up every couple of months. What's going on here??

So V-Synth 2003 - 2006

V-Synth GT 2007 - 2010??

V-Synth XT 2004 - ????

Seems about right for product lifecycle. Hmm..... where's the GC/MF blowouts?? :lol:

• Members

I read on the rolandclan/fantomized forums that a rep from Sweetwater indicated the GT is being discontinued due to weak market demand and slow sales. I honestly don't know anyone who has one and I look at the ridiculous MAP price that seems to go up every couple of months. What's going on here??

So V-Synth 2003 - 2006

V-Synth GT 2007 - 2010??

V-Synth XT 2004 - ????

Seems about right for product lifecycle. Hmm..... where's the GC/MF blowouts??
:lol:

Nothing out of ordinary roland, they think that their products grow in value overtime... That must be why they keep copying the old JVs so much :lol::facepalm:

• Members

Yes. Blowout, please. I'm still broke as hell after getting the M3, but if the deals on GTs ran deep enough, I could probably scrape something together.

Yeah, I've wanted one since they were announced but the current prices are just not working for me. if I see one used or new at the price points in my head, I'm gonna jump.

• Members

i would love to own a v-synth gt. it seems to me that it would be absolutely fantastic for mangling samples. i'm also interested in the vocal designer aspect of the synth but sadly, i just can't justify it's cost. i was hoping to see some nice prices on one for black friday but i haven't found any online.

i feel that roland dropped the ball. i don't think that they showcased this synth to show it's full potential. it may have helped with sales. it looks like it's going to be discontinued.

• Members

And by all reports, the V-Synth's VA engine is somewhat less than stellar

I disagree. It's pretty decent if you actually try and program it and use the real time controls for tweaking instead of the programming controls with cause more stepping.

The problem with the GT is it isn't enough of a step beyond the regular v to justify the upgrade and a LOT of people already had the v-synth so there market was a bit saturated when they release the GT. Also in some cases the GT was a step backwards from the v.

Also COSM isn't as good as it could be. Either way Roland is leveraging variphrase in other areas such as the vg-99.

• Members

The problem with the GT is it isn't enough of a step beyond the regular v to justify the upgrade and a LOT of people already had the v-synth so there market was a bit saturated when they release the GT.

That's why I didn't upgrade. Love my V Classic.

Just because Sweetwater's stopped carrying something doesn't mean it's discontinued

• Members

I own the V-Synth GT and the original V-Synth (upgraded to OS 2.0). I got the GT several months ago as a factory repack synth, practically brand new.

The GT is a bit harder to program, but it's not that difficult. I love the fact that I can split the keyboard on the GT. That was the major shortcoming of the Original, for me, anyway.

The keybeds are slightly different. The GT's keybed is a bit smoother and less noisy. I don't use the AP Synthesis at all. I mainly use (both) Vs as a VA.

Vs are a blast - get one if you can!

• Members

I disagree. It's pretty decent if you actually try and program it and use the real time controls for tweaking instead of the programming controls with cause more stepping.

The problem with the GT is it isn't enough of a step beyond the regular v to justify the upgrade and a LOT of people already had the v-synth so there market was a bit saturated when they release the GT. Also in some cases the GT was a step backwards from the v.

Also COSM isn't as good as it could be. Either way Roland is leveraging variphrase in other areas such as the vg-99.

First off, I'll concede that I've never actually tried out the V-Synth; I'm just going by what I've heard with respect to the VA section. Nice to know that maybe it isn't quite as bad as I'd been lead to believe.

And I wasn't aware that the VG-99 used Variphrase for anything. I thought it was all COSM.

• Members

and I look at the ridiculous MAP price that seems to go up every couple of months.

As I recall, Roland U.S. raised all their prices six months(?) ago to counteract the declining value of the dollar.

Regarding availability, retailers stock an item until it doesn't sell anymore. Manufacturers manufacture an item until it doesn't sell anymore.

As long as there are enough sales to justify a production run, Roland will keep making the V-Synth GT.

• Members

I don't use the AP Synthesis at all. I mainly use (both) Vs as a VA.

Vs are a blast - get one if you can!

I suspect a common statement from some owners re the AP Synthesis ;)

Hence the slight shot in the foot using a great synth to trial a synth engine aimed more at the rompler market.

Still a great set of synths in any one's book :cool:

Now I will say it again in this thread, a V Synth GT rack ala XT with a D50 included would be very :p:cool::):love:

:wave:

• Members

Speaking for myself, when they dumped the D-50 expansion I COMPLETELY lost interest in the V-Synth Series.

I know I could buy a D-50, but I wouldn't on it's own because of the space and the D-550 rack is not for me. I would have bought the GT though. The XT is an option, but I wanted it hands on in a keyboard form without the reboot limitations.

Archived