God, Eric Johnson is soooooo.....

Sty1es

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by batotman

SRV used Radio Shack cables....bet he knew nothing on TONE, right?

SRV definatly DID NOT use radio shack cables. He used custom made cables that where made by his tech. I forget his name but the guy has a site somewhere with tons of info on all the stuff he and SRV used to get that tone. He said one of the most important parts of SRV's sound was those custom cables.

And if you ask me SRV knew A LOT about tone

• Members

Originally posted by thomasmiranda

SRV definatly DID NOT use radio shack cables. He used custom made cables that where made by his tech. I forget his name but the guy has a site somewhere with tons of info on all the stuff he and SRV used to get that tone. He said one of the most important parts of SRV's sound was those custom cables.

And if you ask me SRV knew A LOT about tone

Dude you should read the whole thread. He did use Radio Shack cables and that info came directly from his tech, Diaz. The link to the interview is a couple pages back.

• Members

There is a difference in sound with cables of different quality.

I used to use Planet Waves and when I plugged in the Voodoo Cables there was a huge increase in quality of signal.

Sorry if you dont believe it or if your ears can't pick it up. But it's true.

• Members

Originally posted by Mesaholic

I don't deny the talent (which is ample), but his music really doesn't do anything for me. I just don't "get" it . Don't know why, really.

My thoughts, exactly. This is one musician I really tried to like, but couldn't. I've owned and listened to tons of his recordings. With the exception of one recording I have with him and John McLaughlin (which he is amazing on), I can't get into him.

• Members

Originally posted by argonaut4

My thoughts, exactly. This is one musician I really tried to like, but couldn't. I've owned and listened to tons of his recordings. With the exception of one recording I have with him and John McLaughlin (which he is amazing on), I can't get into him.

I understand this.....I'm exactly this way with Dream Theater, and to a lesser extent, Steve Vai. I mean, I appreciate the amount of harmonic knowledge, technical dexterity, etc, that goes into creating that music, but it just doesn't speak to me on a personal level.

EJ's music, on the other hand, speaks directly to me. I just think this guy transcends just being a great guitar player - IMO he really blurs the line between technical, harmonic, and emotional brilliance. Again, heavily underline IMO. I'm not going to say he's better or worse than anyone, but I personally thing he's awesome. While I hear a history of all blues licks that came before him when I listen to SRV (again, this is just MY take on it - and I still immensely enjoy his playing), Eric Johnson sounds much more harmonically original to my ear. I can identify both of them in a heartbeat, but EJ, even when he's doing Hendrix covers, seems to be reaching out there a little further. Call me a fanboy. I'm ok with that - EJ's one of the best rock guitarists that ever lived, in my book.

• Members
Originally posted by JLeurck

I understand this.....I'm exactly this way with Dream Theater, and to a lesser extent, Steve Vai. I mean, I appreciate the amount of harmonic knowledge, technical dexterity, etc, that goes into creating that music, but it just doesn't speak to me on a personal level.

EJ's music, on the other hand, speaks directly to me. I just think this guy transcends just being a great guitar player - IMO he really blurs the line between technical, harmonic, and emotional brilliance. Again, heavily underline
IMO
. I'm not going to say he's better or worse than anyone, but I personally thing he's awesome. While I hear a history of all blues licks that came before him when I listen to SRV (again, this is just MY take on it - and I still immensely enjoy his playing), Eric Johnson sounds much more harmonically original to my ear. I can identify both of them in a heartbeat, but EJ, even when he's doing Hendrix covers, seems to be reaching out there a little further. Call me a fanboy. I'm ok with that - EJ's one of the best rock guitarists that ever lived, in my book.

Yes! You said it much more eloquently than I.:) I happen to have the same opinion of EJ as you. His music and playing speaks to me on so many levels.

• Members

I heard a lot about the grey curly telephone cords, but I just checked a couple of different SRV live videos and he's not using those.

It's funny how some people want brillance (George L's, Monster) and they're marketed for clarity,and then the other side is total opposite. Some company should come out with that as a marketing tool to warm up the tone. Charge a high price and it will sell!!

I do agree cables make a lot of difference. My favorite cable for years has been a cheap Peavey. It sounds warmer, fuller than all the others I tried. It's not a telephone cord though.

You can always use yer tone knob, but some guys just don't realize that that's what they're for!

• Members

Originally posted by JLeurck

EJ's music, on the other hand, speaks directly to me. I just think this guy transcends just being a great guitar player - IMO he really blurs the line between technical, harmonic, and emotional brilliance. Again, heavily underline
IMO
. I'm not going to say he's better or worse than anyone, but I personally thing he's awesome. While I hear a history of all blues licks that came before him when I listen to SRV (again, this is just MY take on it - and I still immensely enjoy his playing), Eric Johnson sounds much more harmonically original to my ear. I can identify both of them in a heartbeat, but EJ, even when he's doing Hendrix covers, seems to be reaching out there a little further. Call me a fanboy. I'm ok with that - EJ's one of the best rock guitarists that ever lived, in my book.

he embraces the guitar lexicon...he's like a guy that speaks many languages fluently. he plays wes montomery like wes, he plays hendrix like hendrix, chet like chet. gatton was like that too. guthrie too.

vai is the guy who can teach jazz theory, and could hang with a jazz group, but i don't buy the fact that he "is" a jazz guy listening to him. and he dresses like he's trying out for the lead in saturday night fever.

satch is a rocker dude that knows some fusion licks.

the thing that's been mentioned before about EJ's weakness, even though i love his stuff, is that he sometimes plays nervously...his vibrato is too measured, which may be due to his low action, and his licks sometimes fall off the tempo truck when he improvises, and you can hear him scrambling to regain authority over the phrase. i think he's a little too delicate and premeditated, concerned about never ever making one mistake and finishing every single lick with a period, and "white bread" with his playing...boy needs to get more funk in the trunk and that weird instict certain players have to turn mistakes or unpredictable twists and turns into gold.

he thinks too classically and not like a drummer enough. and when he relaxes and just plays the way he plays and doesn't stress about perfection, he attains that zone of his where the huge musical sounds just pour out.

• Members

Yes! You said it much more eloquently than I. I happen to have the same opinion of EJ as you. His music and playing speaks to me on so many levels.

:o When I first read the title of this thread, my brain registered the subject as Jeff Beck and not Eric Johnson for some reason. LOL, I'm losing it. It's Jeff Beck's music that I've really tried to like, and couldn't. I dig Eric's big time. I'm mentioning it now, because my previous posts are confusing and conflicting.

I roll my eyes at myself.:rolleyes: And now, I'm going to crawl back under my rock.

• Members

:o
When I first read the title of this thread, my brain registered the subject as Jeff Beck and not Eric Johnson for some reason. LOL, I'm losing it. It's Jeff Beck's music that I've really tried to like, and couldn't. I dig Eric's big time. I'm mentioning it now, because my previous posts are confusing and conflicting.

I roll my eyes at myself.
:rolleyes:
And now, I'm going to crawl back under my rock.

What do you NOT like about Jeff Beck? (not trying to be an ass, just curious. :) )

• Members
Originally posted by telephant

What do you NOT like about Jeff Beck? (not trying to be an ass, just curious.
:)
)

You know, I can't really give a specific reason. Technically, he's an awesome player with great tone, but I guess it's what he plays that generally doesn't move me. I had about 5 of his discs and played them over and over, but to no avail (I'm speaking generally here). I can appreciate it, but just not on an emotional level. I'm not totally closed off from him, though. I'm always looking for good things.:)

Having said that, I have one recording with him and John McLaughlin that slays me(once again, it was JB I was talking about earlier-not EJ). I absolutely love his playing and tone on it. I'll rip it and post it in a bit. Maybe someone can point me to other (if any) recordings where he plays in a similar fashion. I'd like to know.

• Members

You know, I can't really give a specific reason. Technically, he's an awesome player with great tone, but I guess it's what he plays that generally doesn't move me. I had about 5 of his discs and played them over and over, but to no avail (I'm speaking generally here). I can appreciate it, but just not on an emotional level. I'm not totally closed off from him, though. I'm always looking for good things.

Having said that, I have one recording with him and John McLaughlin that slays me(once again, it was JB I was talking about earlier-not EJ). I absolutely love his playing and tone on it. I'll rip it and post it in a bit. Maybe someone can point me to other (if any) recordings where he plays in a similar fashion. I'd like to know.

I can understand that.

You know its the live Jeff Beck that I really like. All the techno stuff he's been doing recently is alright, but man, if you dont have some live beck, let me know and Ill upload a cool live vid to yousendit. :)

• Members

You know, I can't really give a specific reason. Technically, he's an awesome player with great tone, but I guess it's what he plays that generally doesn't move me. I had about 5 of his discs and played them over and over, but to no avail (I'm speaking generally here). I can appreciate it, but just not on an emotional level. I'm not totally closed off from him, though. I'm always looking for good things.

Give this a listen/watch. Hope you enjoy!:cool:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BsfL6ATX1i4

• Members
Originally posted by JeffFlowerday

I checked out Eric's gear on Saturday and he's got a Line6 Echo Pro in his rack. So digital isn't scaring him away, maybe he's coming around.

Or maybe all this "tone whore" stuff is an act so people like Fender can sell a $1600 production line signature guitar?

:D

Archived