OT: Does anyone else find Slash slightly overrated?

Random Hero

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think that a lot of this has to do with the fact that (most of the time) Slash has really great feel to his playing. He's not a technical bad ass in any sense...which many people seem so pre-occupied with when talking about what a good guitar player is. I'm not a huge Slash fan, but his playing on Appetite resembles the same honesty of cats like Joe Perry and Angus IMHO.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarded_1

I think that a lot of this has to do with the fact that (most of the time) Slash has really great feel to his playing. He's not a technical bad ass in any sense...which many people seem so pre-occupied with when talking about what a good guitar player is. I'm not a huge Slash fan, but his playing on Appetite resembles the same honesty of cats like Joe Perry and Angus IMHO.

He does have great feel, i'm not denying that. And I do like alot of his stuff, but I still can't help feel he's hugely overrated.

• Members

Originally posted by Random Hero

He's good 'n all, but he's not exactly the greatest player ever to walk the face of the earth, yet he's adored?

I think your usage of the word 'slightly' in the thread title is perhaps the greatest understatement in the history of the internet. :D

• Members

I'd much rather listen to a Slash solo than a JP solo ;)

Its his vibrato, his phrasing, his pick attack, and the way he makes the guitar say what he is thinking that does it for me :) Plus he looks COOL.

Would you say Angus Young is overratted? What about Hendrix?

Al

• Members

He does have great feel, i'm not denying that. And I do like alot of his stuff, but I still can't help feel he's hugely overrated.

people rate him a good guitar player because of his ability to write good songs..not hisabiltiy to shred or play some insanely funky style

• Members

I love Slash. I think every project he's been a part of has been great. But, that doesn't mean I think he's the greatest player of all time. He's just not. I do think he has some of the greatest guitar riffs of all time. I feel the same way with Jimmy Page.

I guess when I think of Slash, I think of the raw bluesy edge that he has. To me, he's one of those players that I can hear, and instantly know who it is. He has his own sound and I like how his style is down to earth. For that alone, I've got nothin' but love for the guy.

:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by supercow3

people rate him a good guitar player because of his ability to write good songs..not hisabiltiy to shred or play some insanely funky style

+1

I think its his songwriting, and the way he plays what he does, rather than what he plays. If that makes sense at all :freak:

Al

• Members

Originally posted by 64DUECE

I love Slash. I think every project he's been a part of has been great. But, that doesn't mean I think he's the greatest player of all time. He's just not. I do think he has some of the greatest guitar riffs of all time. I feel the same way with Jimmy Page.

I guess when I think of Slash, I think of the raw bluesy edge that he has. To me, he's one of those players that I can hear, and instantly know who it is. He has his own sound and I like how his style is down to earth. For that alone, I've got nothin' but love for the guy.

:thu:

Said to a tee :thu:

Al

• Members

Originally posted by jem7vwh

Yes, and quite possibly yes.

Angus Youngs playing might be simple, but I'd challenge the shredders like JP, Hammet, Guthrie etc to stick on his guitar and play through his rig for a full set, commanding the audience the way he does, and still sound as emotive as he does.

IMO, there is far more to a guitarist, and any musician, than just playing. If that was the case, then I'd just sit at home and listen to their CD's rather than go out and see them at a show.

Al

• Members

Slash isn't the most technical accomplished player but he plays hell of a cool licks!

I've only seen/heard a few old G'nR live concert recordings and Slash's bends have always been out of tune on those gigs.

-Jaakko

• Members

Originally posted by algroves

Angus Youngs playing might be simple, but I'd challenge the shredders like JP, Hammet, Guthrie etc to stick on his guitar and play through his rig for a full set, commanding the audience the way he does, and still sound as emotive as he does.

IMO, there is far more to a guitarist, and any musician, than just playing. If that was the case, then I'd just sit at home and listen to their CD's rather than go out and see them at a show.

Al

Angus ain't that simple. I think that most people don't really listen to his playing and just write him off. I challenge any man to try and cop a blistering Angus young solo with the same raw emotion and feel that he does. Yeah...the rhythm chords are simple, but some of his leads are so over the top with intensity that it's silly. He's in my top 5 for shizzle.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarded_1

Angus ain't that simple. I think that most people don't really listen to his playing and just write him off. I challenge any man to try and cop a blistering Angus young solo with the same raw emotion and feel that he does. Yeah...the rhythm chords are simple, but some of his leads are so over the top with intensity that it's silly. He's in my top 5 for shizzle.

Again, I agree with that.

Theres more to technique than sweep picking and speed.

Al

• Members

Originally posted by Jakem

Slash isn't the most technical accomplished player but he plays hell of a cool licks!

I've only seen/heard a few old G'nR live concert recordings and Slash's bends have always been out of tune on those gigs.

-Jaakko

The problem is that many guys don't seem to view the emotional component as being an important aspect of guitar playing. I'm amazed at the video clips guys post around here going "OMG, OMG, AMAZING PLAYING!!!"...only to see something that is technically amazing with ZERO feel and conviction.

• Members

Originally posted by algroves

Would you say Angus Young is overratted? What about Hendrix?

Al

I love Angus, but I would have to say that Jimi is overrated. His stuff was just never that impressive to me:confused:

EDIT: All IMO

• Members

Sorry dude, but yeh, I probably would. I dig AC/DC and Hendrix but, I can't help but think they're overrated.

It's all your perspective and what you like. I don't like Dream Theatre or JP, but I can respect their particular talent. JP has serious chops but listening to a DT song does nothing for me,....now listening to Hendrix, AC/DC, Govt Mule or anything that's rooted in the Blues and played well,....it takes me away. I dig Slash's style much more than any shredder style hands down,....but that's me.

• Members

Originally posted by Cibyl

It's all your perspective and what you like. I don't like Dream Theatre or JP, but I can respect their particular talent. JP has serious chops but listening to a DT song does nothing for me,....now listening to Hendrix, AC/DC, Govt Mule or anything that's rooted in the Blues and played well,....it takes me away. I dig Slash's style much more than any shredder style hands down,....but that's me.

I'm a Hendrix fan, but sure, I see where you're coming from.

• Members

Originally posted by Ironhandjohn

From what I can tell, Slash seems to have 2 styles depending on how much he's had to drink. His sloppy performance at the British Music Hall of Fame awards last winter is a good example...

Yeah...Slash is capable of playing bad...really bad.

• Members

I thought, and still do, that his playing on 'Appetite' was great!!! I was 16 when it came out and I remember how different it was from the other stuff that was on the radio or MTV back then. Gritty, bluesy rock, I loved it!!

Their subsequent albums were ok, though I loved 'Lies', but it seemed something was missing in their later works. Maybe it was all the Axl-inspired bull{censored}, maybe they were just getting burned-out, but aside from a few tunes on ' Use Your Illusion' 1 & 2, Slash's playing seemed to be getting sloppier and more uninspired.

Listening to the solo in 'You Could Be Mine', the song that was used on the Terminator 2 soundtrack is a glaring example of this.

" Let's see, bend here, bend there........ run up scale, run back down....... up again..... {censored} it, let's go get a drink..."

To me ' Appetite' was Slash's apogee, seeing as I don't like Velvet Revolver at all. Dave Kushner is a good rhythm player, but Scott Weiland is just too much for me. I liked STP, but not him, either...

Archived