New Kurzweil PC3K!

swandiver

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Don't get too excited now. AFAIK, it's a PC3 w/128mb of flash RAM. IMO they should have called it the PC3+.

Minus the 2nd ROM expansion. The PC3 series has space for 2 ROM expansions. The PC3K uses the 2nd ROM expansion space to support sample playback (not full sampling).

The PC3K was specifically designed for live musical support, which is why the 128 MB of Sample RAM for playback of sounds was important.

• Members

they said that it was ready for imediate realese .

if that thing sounds better than a Vsl MIR i m getting one.

or sounds better at least 40% better than the PC3

LOL.

It sounds exactly like a PC3. Because it's the same, with sampling. And wooden side panels...

• Members

Forgot to mention the backward compatibility with K2K stuff. Though I gotta ask, how relevant ARE those nearly 20 (K2K circa 1991 AFAIK) year old samples today? It's a nice perk, but does anyone REALLY care?

ALL the broadway shows use banks of K2s in the orchestra pit. They have very specialized needs for loading sound effects, and this update is partially aimed at letting them upgrade their old instruments.

The ability to preload a bunch of custom sounds and access them with no load time is very valuable for that group of users.

• Members

Forgot to mention the backward compatibility with K2K stuff. Though I gotta ask, how relevant ARE those nearly 20 (K2K circa 1991 AFAIK) year old samples today? It's a nice perk, but does anyone REALLY care?

I hear this all the time and can't help but wonder: what happens to all of these old samples?

Do they get too dry and moldy to use or what?

Like brittle, or too "leathery" maybe?

I guess old samples don't take to being reprogrammed and played as well as the new ones.

Seriously, what does a "fresh" sample sound like?

• Members

I hear this all the time and can't help but wonder: what happens to all of these old samples?

Do they get too dry and moldy to use or what?

Like brittle, or too "leathery" maybe?

I guess old samples don't take to being reprogrammed and played as well as the new ones.

Seriously, what does a "fresh" sample sound like?

:lol:

Samples done right the first time, don't need to be refreshed. They also don't need to be very large.

• Members

"Samples done right the first time, don't need to be refreshed. They also don't need to be very large"

Well said. I started out creating instruments on instruments like the Akai S-900 and Emulator EII. There used to be quite a craft in making efficient use of memory and coming up with decent loops. While I appreciate the amazing things companies like Samplemodelling and Synthogy (Ivory) do with huge sample banks, much of what is out there currently is just bloat-ware; hundreds and hundreds of poorly matched, untuned samples with dead air in the front. (What does it matter if your DAW has "low latency" if the creators of your sample library were too lazy to trim off the silence at the beginning of the samples?) I have to laugh when I read advertisements boasting about "massive 20 GIGs libraries", as if the size of the library had anything to do with the quality and useability of the samples.

The combination of the PC3's excellent ROM samples and synthesis capabilities and 128 MEG of non-volatile K2600 compatible sample memory means that these machines will be able to do almost anything in skilled hands. I can't wait to get one.

• Members

ALL the broadway shows use banks of K2s in the orchestra pit. They have very specialized needs for loading sound effects, and this update is partially aimed at letting them upgrade their old instruments.

The ability to preload a bunch of custom sounds and access them with no load time is very valuable for that group of users.

I read that too. Sure that's noteworthy, but how many users does this equate to? A couple hundred at best maybe? I'm just thinkin more in terms of the average musician investing in "new" gear. But hey it's cool for that group and guys who can't let go of the K2K sound that still have them. I just don't see the value for users new to the platform.

• Members

A few Broadway shows use K2s. Phantom does, Beauty and the Beast does. Light in the Piazza uses Roland. Dirty Rotten Scroundrels uses Notion notation software. Several use PT rigs and softsynths. Parade used a Roland.

• Members

Cygnus, I stumbled onto the television program "Glee" the other day, and noticed that the head of the high school drama department is...you guessed it..."Mr Ryerson." Same actor, noticably older and decidedly gay-er. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Made me ROFL. Thought you should know.

• Members

These days I find it's the regional theaters that all use K2s. Back in the late 1990's/early 2000s I think it could have been said that just about all the Broadway pits were using some form of Kurzweil K2. These days you'll find custom computers running Brainspawn Forte + Kontakt (Shrek), Receptors(In the Heights) and various combinations of Roland and Yamaha digital pianos and workstations, often interfaced with K2600Rs. I think "A Tale of two Cities" used Receptors controlled by Kurzweil K2600X keyboards. One of the reasons the Kurzweils lost their standing on Broadway was the problems with the Fatar TP-10M keybeds. A lot of producers got fed up with the constant cracked counterweights and velocity problems on the K2600Xs. I hear the keybeds on the PC3Xs don't have these issues.

• 11 months later...
  • Members

PC3 has more processing power than any K-series synth, both with regards to VAST and KDFX (which is twice the power of Kurzweil KSP8, and neither K2500 nor K2600 had this kind of power). It sounds much better, especially with VA1 antialiased oscillators. KB3 mode is leaps and bounds better sounding than anything on K-series (especially in the new v2.00 OS). Keybed is much better, as well.

• Members

It's also worth noting that with the new OS 2.0, any PC3 can import earlier K programs (although if they don't use the internal samples, the PC3 looks for the closest match, which might/might not help.)

The PC3 is my first Kurz, so I don't have a stash of fave Kurz patches on hand. Folks who do might well find the PC3 (or PC3K if you need additional samples) well worth considering.

Archived