How much $$$ did you spend on gear?

The Real MC

• Members

I have no clue exactly how much I've spent on my current gear since a lot of it has been bought by part exchanging other gear. Should I factor in the cost of the original gear (often bought new) I've traded in, it's a lot of cash. Since I've lost so much money buying new gear and selling it for peanuts second-hand I've stopped selling gear (and avoid buying new). One exception was the XV5050 I've traded for a XV5080, a lot more of the same for a small extra cost.

My estimate is maybe around 50 000 dollars, maybe more if the computers etc are factored in.

• Members

my rule of thumb is to make sure that my expenditure on equipment is no more than 3 times that the $$ i make from said equipment.

anotherwords, i make 1$ selling music/playing gigs/recording someone else's music/doing whatever, that allows me to spend 3$ on a piece of gear. i buy a lot of cheap {censored} :D

it's worked well so far, but now i have a full time audio job... we'll see how that influences the ratio.

• Members

wow, $3k? is MN so not expensive? In my area, NJ taxes for a small house starting ~$10k (in good neighborhood of course.) and renting starting ~900$+.

Yeah, the tax structure got changed around a while ago. My taxes here started out at about $3200 but went down when Jesse Ventura was governor. Our house was recently reassessed, too, and our tax went up $28. I think that I would be paying closer to 5-6k in the city of St Paul or Minneapolis, though. My parents live in a similarly sized and aged house (built a retirement house ~1994) in a similar neighborhood in a similar suburb of Rochester, NY, and their estate tax is around 5k (last time I spoke with my dad).

• Members

2009 was a year of buying/selling for me:

SOLD: (Sell price)

- 2 Rhodes Chromas ($2,000)

- Roland 550 kybd amp ($300)

- Grace M902 mastering headphone amp ($900)

- Dynaudio BM15A monitors ($1,900)

- Virus Polar ($1,600)

- KLipsch Surround system with Yamaha 7:1 AV amp ($1,100

- Nord Electro 2 ($1,600)

- 4 Custom built cases ($400)

- Pair of Gefell M300 mics ($1,200)

- Manley VoxBox ($2,000)

- Nikon D300s with full set of pro lenses ($3,000)

- Syntech Chroma MIDI interface ($100)

- MOTU 428 PCI card ($40)

- Apple G4, dual processor, 2 gig of ram ($400)

- Apple G5 Dual processor 2.7, with 7 gig of ram ($900)

- Roland S770 Sampler ($150)

- Korg Radias ($600)

Around $19k total sold

Purchases: (purchase price)

- Rack of 4 Brent Avril Mic Pre's and 4 API 550B EQ's and dual chasis power supply ($10,000)

- Apple pro dual quad core with 1.5 TB int raid and 10 gig ram ($3,600)

- Apple 32" flat panel ($1,400)

- Furman Cue system with 5 modules ($800)

- DP version 6 ($195 upgrade)

- Omnisphere ($450)

- Sure SM57 ($80)

- Some minor cabling ($100)

- Blue Sky "Big BLue" 3 way monitor system ($7,500)

- Fan box with some custom wiring for my 96 pin EDACs ( $300)

- Pair of Sony pro cans ($160)

- Phantom power supply ($40)

- Radial Direct box ($200)

- A couple of mic stands w/ booms ($150)

about $25K spent total

• Members

Ebay is your friend. I tend to buy from there unless it's something I have to have new.

Down payment for the last car ($6k) came from selling gear on ebay as well. I tend to break even or take small a small loss since I deal in digital synths. Not that into analog, to much of a pain in the ass.

• Members

I'm at 90K in present replacement value and been at this since about 1990... so ruffly 4.5K a year. Spent 2 days updating the S/N database.

http://www.epigroove.com/go.php?pid=3

I've been using this database app since 2004/2005. I should import the data into something I can get more reports out of. I figured some of you guys could use it as a example if you want to catalog your stuff , house , baseball cards, panty collection, etc... for insurance reasons.

It's not all key's but includes everything studio related.

Honestly most things are a wash in value. A few exceptions are my SP-1200, Sidstation, Gibson Nighthawk, and some vintage API and Neve pieces. I got exceptional deals on these pieces and there value has just kept going up.

Kevin

• Members

I don't even want to think about all the $$$ I've spent over the last 25 -35 years on equipment :eek: Let alone the money I've spent on computers in the past 23 years :cry: It's an expensive hobby but not as bad as a horse and/or wife :facepalm:

• Members

I don't even want to think about all the $$$ I've spent over the last 25 -35 years on equipment
:eek:
Let alone the money I've spent on computers in the past 23 years
:cry:
It's an expensive hobby but not as bad as a horse and/or wife
:facepalm:

Agree 100% I only know because of just buying another house and wanting to make sure everything is covered the best it can be.

My inshurance agent is going to sh;! I bet when I show her this.

I figured computers are a $300 to $1000 addiction per year, I had a fairly expensive year in 2005 and it's about time to pay the piper for another trip.

Kevin

• Members

Current studio inventory = $5,700
That's what I paid, not current street value, but I mostly buy used stuff. It also includes two guitars, an amp and a saxophone.

I've down-sized a lot since getting married 3 years ago.
Still, even when I had a lot of gear (by my standards) I probably didn't have more than $12,000 or so.

Archived