Drummer Martin Lopez Leaves Opeth

jem7vwh

• Members

Wow... Sad news... He was the backbone of that band IMO. He will be missed. :(

Martin Lopez leaves Opeth!

After several months away from his drumming duties in Opeth Martin Lopez has permanently decided to leave the group. After being plagued by illness and anxiety attacks Lopez decided he wanted to concentrate fully on his own project, currently unnamed. His replacement will be Martin "Axe" Axenrot who's been filling in for the last 5 tours and who also recorded with the band during the recent BBC sessions.

Mikael

• Members

Originally posted by pinkvoid

yayyy

maybe now the guitarist will learn what chords he's playing.

hahaha, but thats what opeth is all about, big ass dissonant chords.

Its sad to see him leave, but Ive heard the replacement (axe) is quite a good drummer as well, so Im not worried.

• Members

yayyy

maybe now the guitarist will learn what chords he's playing.

:rolleyes: One of the better aspects of Opeth is their use of twisted sounding/unusual chords. Who gives a rats ass if he doesn't know the proper name for them?

• Members

I

I doubt this will have any detrimental effect. The new drummer is obviously competent, and with 5 months of turing already they'd probably be starting to gel as a band. Maybe a minor change, but I'd have hated to see Opeth stay the same. Evolution is the best part of this band.

• Members

Originally posted by fancynapkin

hahaha, but thats what opeth is all about, big ass dissonant chords.

Its sad to see him leave, but Ive heard the replacement (axe) is quite a good drummer as well, so Im not worried.

It's not really about the replacement being bad, it's about him not being...Opeth. Martin's big thing, to me anyways, was being so great at making those transitions from hard to soft sound so seemless, and always knowing just what to play.

I'm not saying he's the only one who knows how to do that, I'm just making a point.

• Members

This sucks big time. Mikael should just end the band and go solo. He doesn't need those other guys anyway....

Well okay, maybe not.

Their best album is MAYH, but their best executed album, where everything came together would be, Blackwater Park.

• Members

ok opeth lovers.... what is their dark side of the moon/dirt/master of puppets album?

still life.

probably one of my top 5 favorite albums of all time.

probably the most dynamic metal album ever as well.

my arms your hearse is great too, but if you want to get all opeth offers in one big swallow, go with still life.

Archived