OT: Skydiving?

anonymousalien1

• Members

Well, I'm about to turn 19 soon, and I feel like I haven't taken advantage of my youth enough. I've always wanted to go skydiving, so I'm gonna ask my dad if he would like to go with me as a surprise in hopes that it might strengthen our relationship, since we've always had a real rocky one. But before I start doing the research and all, I just wanted to see what other ppl thought... has anyone here ever been skydiving? How'd you like it?

• Members

It's a blast. I went AFF my first time. My wife bought the DVD of it. We went to 14,500 feet, and I opened at 5000. Do it. Do it now. :thu:

With the DVD, it was like $350 for the AFF. That includes like 6 hours of school before you jump. If you go tandem, you get like 30 minutes of class, then it's off you go.

If I had a way to do it, I would rip the DVD and upload it somewhere.

• Members

Originally posted by anonymousalien1

Well, I'm about to turn 19 soon, and I feel like I haven't taken advantage of my youth enough. I've always wanted to go skydiving, so I'm gonna ask my dad if he would like to go with me as a surprise in hopes that it might strengthen our relationship, since we've always had a real rocky one. But before I start doing the research and all, I just wanted to see what other ppl thought... has anyone here ever been skydiving? How'd you like it?

Check with that Ricco Pollen guy (SKYNETRP)??? I think he has done thousands of dives. Cheers Lucius

• Members

i've got a couple of static line jumps, was working my way up to freefall, but quit after one of the guys teaching me got killed while jumping. death was caused because some asswad left a pin in his reserve chute and it wouldn't open after he cut away his tangled main.

suppose i'll do it again, as i'd love to freefall, but a person needs to be aware that the odds of an accident while low are still pretty high.

do a search, seems like there's a mishap every 100,000 or maybe 200,000 jumps? so there are safer things to do.

• Members
Originally posted by supercow3

When you guys did it for the first time are yous straped to the trainer or do you go as individuals?

I am scared i pass out during the jump:(

I did Accelerated Free Fall, which means you have your own rig and 2 jumpmasters, one on each side. They hold on to you and "guide" you, making sure you keep your legs and arms properly positioned. They also make you check your altitude and do 3 practice pulls of your chute. At 5500, I "waved off" and pulled. The next few seconds before the chute opened were easily the longest of my life.

But all students have AADs, so if you did pass out, and for some reason your instructors were complete tools and didn't pull for you, the chute would open and you would land and break a leg or whatever. :thu:

Archived