WOT: My trip to Japan

D/FW XJ'er

• Members

I got back exactly a month ago, and I still haven't loaded even an 1/8th of my pics.

Easily the most awesome trip I have ever taken. We went to Narita (obviously), Tokyo, Yokohama, Nagoya, Kyoto, Nara and Osaka. The people were amazing, the food was awesome, and I have already started planning my return trip. I definitely miss the country. :cry:

Here are the prelim pics so far:

Photobucket album

Please excuse the excess pics from my laziness to create seperate albums.

• Members

Originally posted by zepman

Damn that looks like a blast. I wanna go and find me a Geisha girl:thu:

Thanks man, the guitar shops were also kickin' some ass.

To keep it HC related: The Japanese Epi's have the Gibson open book headstock, play like a dream, and were going for 47500 Yen with HSC. ($425 :thu: )

• Members

Are you English speaking only? I ask because I really want to go there and teach English after I finish one more year of university.

Do you think you'd manage if you go there knowing only English to start? I really want to see some live K1 and Pride shows there.

• Members

Originally posted by presa_tito

Are you English speaking only? I ask because I really want to go there and teach English after I finish one more year of university.

Do you think you'd manage if you go there knowing only English to start? I really want to see some live K1 and Pride shows there.

It's funny you ask that. The bigger Asian dude in my pics is my buddy I went out to visit. He's a Canadian, teaching English over in Nagoya. :thu:

You do NOT have to know Japanese, and there are several programs that send people over there in your situation. My friend HIGHLY recommends going, and I agree with him after visiting.

- Cloudnine - If you've wanted to go, then trust me you'll love it. It's everything I thought it would be x 100.

• Members

Where do you want to go?

My airfare was only $700 or so, and hotels really aren't that bad unless you're staying in downtown Tokyo.

The bowl of food in my pics was 300 Yen ($2.50 US) and consisted of Pork, Rice, Onions, and some wicked spice I dumped all over it. You can eat CHEAP over there. Of course you can also go for the Shabu Shabu like shown in the pics with the raw food. That gets semi pricey. ($60 or so)

• Members

Originally posted by D/FW XJ'er

It's funny you ask that. The bigger Asian dude in my pics is my buddy I went out to visit. He's a Canadian, teaching English over in Nagoya.
:thu:

You do NOT have to know Japanese, and there are several programs that send people over there in your situation. My friend HIGHLY recommends going, and I agree with him after visiting.

- Cloudnine - If you've wanted to go, then trust me you'll love it. It's everything I thought it would be x 100.

I think I'm definitely going to be going now. It might be hard at first because I'll probably go alone and be totally out of my element.

When my sister went there she said people would buy her meals just to have an English conversation with her. Funny stuff.

Pics look good, lots of women to party with.

• Members

Originally posted by cloudnine

Yeah I love sushi and sashimi so I'd be pigging out on expensive stuff every night.
:o

Tokyo is one of the places I want to visit but I want to go to Fuji as well as Hiroshima and maybe Osaka/Kyoto.

HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend Kyoto, and Nara. (Plan on at least a day for each)

Osaka was busy, and very much like a less exciting version of Tokyo. I do not mean that to sound negative at all, but you can get your fill of Japanese nightlife in Tokyo.

Check out www.japanrailpass.com before you do anything. The money you will save on traveling within the country will make the native people cry. :cool: We rode 9 bullet trains, the Narita express x2, and several local trains for $400. To put it in perspective the bullet train is normally about/over $100 per trip.

-Going alone might be a little overwhelming, but their culture is so awesome/friendly you will be able to find your way around. :cool:

• Members

To anyone considering going over to Japan and teaching, I highly recommend it. I lived in Osaka and taught for NOVA. The classes are conducted completely in english you don't need to be able to speak a word of japanese.

Looks like you had an awesome time. I often spend time thinking about my experiences there.

Ben

• Members

Originally posted by cog

To anyone considering going over to Japan and teaching, I highly recommend it. I lived in Osaka and taught for NOVA. The classes are conducted completely in english you don't need to be able to speak a word of japanese.

Looks like you had an awesome time. I often spend time thinking about my experiences there.

Ben

That's sweet. Can you make some decent coin if you work a lot? What is the best way to get set up with accomadation and job etc. before I go? Would it be from contacting agencies on the net?

Sorry to hijack the thread, consider this a bump.

edit: Nevermind, there's tons of info I found, such as http://www.teachinginjapan.com/

• Members

Seems like you had a great time then. I was in Osaka and Kyoto in 2004 and had a blast too, definitely want to go again.

Still, I found that if I didn't know how to speak Japanese I would've been quite lost many times. Lots of people simply didn't seem to speak English at all or very poorly. I think I met like 3-4 people who actually spoke good English to me. So it kind of turned out into a "LaXu blends in by speaking only Japanese" kind of deal. :D

Archived