First Time NAMM Impressions

KingVidiot

• Members

Edit: In my haste I spelled impressions wrong. What a dope.

After drooling over Sonic State NAMM coverage for years I finally got to go.

Wow, so much in one freakin' day.

Many of my synth heros in just a couple of hours: Dave Smith, Tom Oberheim, Don Buchla, etc. Too bad Bob Moog is gone.

Jordan Rudess gave a killer Roland demo. The Crystal Method put in a set.

The show is large, but not overwhelming. I should see everything by tomorrow.

Guitars definitely dominate the landscape. Heavy metal guys and the like almost outnumber everyone else. It's nice to see real brass, strings, etc. around the place.

Some booths that are huge are baffling (i.e. Ernie Ball - Huh? they're strings!).

Favorite products so far: V-machine (upgrade coming soon), Mopho keyboard (so far), Roland VP-7 (?), Celemony Melodyne DNA, Kaossilator Pro, etc.

The Teenage Engineering OP-1 has potential.

It's hard to get in here with the new restrictions, but it's affordable and well worth the trip. Check it out if you can.

• Members

Oh well, I'm not a guitar guy.

Thanks for the clarification.

Good show nonetheless.

Ben Crosland gave me a killer demo of Virus TI OS4. It's a major upgrade from my point of view.

John Bowen was always too busy to talk to.

Sheila E was looking good... as were the Skullcracker chicks.

Don Buchla was very nice and approachable. His gear is amazing albeit unaffordable for me.

Ben Lacey's guitar demos were stunning.

Bottom line.. great show. I will try to go next year.

• Members

This was my first NAMM too, although I didn't go to the main show. I paid a visit to the Kurzweil folks at the Hilton after hours. They had various Kurzweil and Nord boards set up; I saw and heard a bit about the PC3k (didn't try it myself as the OS isn't finished yet) and got to finally play around with a PC3x (I'm sold, it's hands-down way more interesting than anything else out there for me as a programming nerd). I'm happy to report that any K-series users who haven't tried it yet and liked programming the K will be right at home. I also had nice conversations with various engineer types and Dave Weiser about various things geeky and otherwise. All in all a great visit.

It was quite the "scene" in the lobby of the Hilton; not the place for a married and somewhat introverted geek type like me. Besides, I'm more of the desert party type.

Archived