Orange AD140TC or Rockerverb 100?

markom89

• Members

Well I use the clean channel quite a bit, but Id say I use the Dirty channel(s) quite a bit more, the clean I use with my delays, and I mean its so hard to decide now... which of the two heads is cleaner? for OD/distortion Ive got several peadals!!!...I hate making decisions like this!!!:mad:

• Members

so which one would be better for me?...if I go with the AD140 (which I probably will) whats the best "drive" pedal you can think of, or a realy good distortion, ive tried sooo many different ODs and distortions and I havent been happy with any yet.

• Members

Wow never heard anyone not liking the mighty mark iv. Before you go fora new amp try diffrent settings on the mark. The settings that work at home arn't the ones that work live. Maybe you need to get more mids in there or something.

• Members

Originally posted by markom89

theres a whole therad of people who dont like the " mighty mk iv"

To each their own I guess, I liked the III better myself however I tend to think that before you buy a new amp play a couple of practices with your current one with different settings.

• Members

Ive done that several times, I play around with it everyday, adn like I said I just dont like it live...for home use and at practice even its awsome, and recording too! like I said live I need something very simple and loud, clean and distorted at the same time...

• Members
Originally posted by markom89

Im getting a Diezel Herbert or VH4 this summer... but I need one of those amps by my next gig...its not that the MK IV didnt cut, its hard to explain what Im trying to say, and its wayyy too frustraiting to use live, I was getting way to much feedback and the LD-EQ channel was acting up...I love the MK IV for home use, and recording, but live I just need brutal power, and like I said im getting a diezel but that will most likely be for home use/recording and sometimes gigging, but now I just need a good loud amp that has an awsome clean and brutal distortion, just tell me which one you guys think would better suit my needs between the two oranges, and whats the main diff. between the two besides 40 watts?...I read some reviews and overall the AD140TC got better reviews... and like I said I run a bunch of effects with my amp direct into guitar, no fx loop so just something loud and simple.

If You use a lot of gain with the Herbert, You are in big trouble
with feedback. :rolleyes:

• Members

Just from what I've heard.....the Mk IV amps sound different quiet than turned up. So I'd say if you haven't spent time dialing in the MkIV at loud gig volumes, try that before going to another amp. Too many people get caught up in the grass is greener GAS syndrome thing. If you've tried that and still aren't happy, from my little experience with both of the oranges you are looking at, the rockerverb would have the higher gain and and a little more modern sound to it and the AD140 would be more "vintage" sounding. Both sounded great to me, so I wouldn't think either one would be a bad call. Could be wrong though because I haven't had much experience with them aside from in store tryouts.

• Members

I, for the love of god, can not figure out why anyone would describe any Orange as 'brutal'. There are hi-gain tones, sure, but nothing that could be remotely considered 'brutal'. The voicing and the gain are way too smooth be to considered 'brutal'.

The Oranges are both great for clean to mid-to-high-gain tones, IMO. I've owned the AD140TC and sold it within weeks because I thought it was going to be a hyped up Marshall, but with its own original voicing. While it's someone reminiscent of a Marshall, neither channel got me the gain/tightness I was looking for. Instead they were a step in the wrong direction, getting looser than Marshall with every gain increase.

I recently got a chance to demo the RV series. Definately an improvement in the higher gain department but still NO COMPARISON to amps that are designed for hi-gain use. These are comparable to the Red channels on the DSLs without the gain boost, but with the Orange voicing.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

AD140TC will not give you really any clean tone at all. You get 2 channels -- crunch and more crunch. That being said, it is a killer amp. I had one for 3 years, and I toured with it all over the US and Canada numerous times with my ex-band. I ran some Les Pauls and a Gretsch thru it. I also had a Fender Twin reverb, and I used a Morley A/B switch, and also ran a TS-9 off the chain to the Twin. It was a pretty kick ass setup. I can't tell you how many compliments I got. Also, that 140TC puts out only about 80-85 watts. I had it biased and measured once. It's still damn loud, I usually cranked mine about 3/4 of the way.

Right now I have an original Vox AC50. I like it, but it's not like my orange. I'm kicking myself about selling the orange. It's ok though, I'll get another one once I save up some money (or get a new credit card - haha). I think I might opt for the Rockverb, because there are multiple stages of gain, probably more power, a real clean channel, and tube reverb. That was one thing I kind of wanted on the 140TC, but it wasn't a big deal.

I will say that when I got the Orange, I really ended up tailoring my sound to utilize the most I could get out of the orange. At first, I didn't know if I liked it, but I really warmed up to it once I figured out how to dial it in and figured out what it was really good at doing. It also held up like a beast through some hard touring, and it wasn't in a case. Hope this helps some. I might opt for the Rockverb if I were you...

Archived