Orange AD140TC or Rockerverb 100?

markom89

• Members

Which orange amp would be better for me a AD140TC, or a rockerverb 100 for gigging, Im now using a Mesa MK IV and I find it doesnt cut threw well live. I also need something plain and simple with a fender clean if not better, and a brutal distortion when needed, I run about 15-20 effects threw my amp, and would do so with this one too, I need it to go very loud as we play substantially bigger clubs and outdoors. My style is Brit rock/Brit pop/classic rock/blues/ some metal, tell me what you guys think, my other option would be a hiwatt custom lead 100, and I use mesa 4x12's and a orange 2x12, I plan on getting another orange 2x12 or a orange 4x12, tell me what you think would work best in my situation. I need it to be very, very clean as I said for my delays, and very distorted when I needed, also what would be a good footswitch for the oranges, besides the orange one, I heard theyre no good.

• Members

MKIV's don't cut? Dude... Not even worth replying...

;)

I'm gonna save you some trouble. Uberschall w/ Bogner OS2x12 and a Vintage AC30. Stereo.

;)

The rockerverb has the most gain. the AD140 and hiwatt are different beasts.

Brutal is not how I'd describe a hiwatt.

• Members

Im getting a Diezel Herbert or VH4 this summer... but I need one of those amps by my next gig...its not that the MK IV didnt cut, its hard to explain what Im trying to say, and its wayyy too frustraiting to use live, I was getting way to much feedback and the LD-EQ channel was acting up...I love the MK IV for home use, and recording, but live I just need brutal power, and like I said im getting a diezel but that will most likely be for home use/recording and sometimes gigging, but now I just need a good loud amp that has an awsome clean and brutal distortion, just tell me which one you guys think would better suit my needs between the two oranges, and whats the main diff. between the two besides 40 watts?...I read some reviews and overall the AD140TC got better reviews... and like I said I run a bunch of effects with my amp direct into guitar, no fx loop so just something loud and simple.

• Members

Well are you unhappy with the tone of the MKIV?

I've never heard of a MKIV that didn't cut.

If you just don't like the amp that's cool, but maybe try to chase down the problem to say a crappy cable, instead of a mkiv, you know?

Also, I prefer the AD30TC, but I'm not into brutal.

• Members

Originally posted by markom89

I need it to go very loud as we play substantially bigger clubs and outdoors.

i thought you've only played one gig?

markom89

Im getting a Diezel Herbert or VH4 this summer...

why not just get that sooner instead of wasting time buying a very expensive amp that you won't need for long?

don't be a spoiled bitch.

• Members

Originally posted by iwantpedals

why not just get that sooner instead of wasting time buying a very expensive amp that you won't need for long?

don't be a spoiled bitch.

Yeah I saw the thread on the FX forum too. Just figured if he's not spending his own cash, why not help him?

Maybe he should sell off his old gear to fund something new?

Tim

• Members

I dunno, I guess I just dont like the tone of the MK IV, its totly different live then when at home, I dont know how to explain it... and as for getting the Diezel sooner, I would but I cant' cause' Im getting it in germany... and Im gonna' use the Orange for giging like I said, the diezels staying at home...

• Members

Originally posted by Timmylikesthing

Yeah I saw the thread on the FX forum too. Just figured if he's not spending his own cash, why not help him?

Maybe he should sell off his old gear to fund something new?

Tim

yeah, i'm just a bitter man.

to me however mr. marky....

i'd find a shop that sells the amp you've ALREADY decided you really want, and try to trade your Mk4 in towards that and have your dad pay for the rest of that, as opposed to making him buy a whole new amp then another one in a couple months as well. doesn't that seem kind of excessive? if you want an orange instead of a diezel that's cool too, but why do you need both? go out and play around (with your effects) until you find something that suits you, diezel or not, and sell your old stuff that you don't use and get that. the Mk4 is a good amp and I don't think it's so terribly bad that you'd need to buy another 1-2,000 dollar amp to tide you over for 6-8 weeks. either learn to use the mkIV correctly or pick another amp that suits you better. i know you like those brutal sounds but if you use 15-20 (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) pedals, wouldn't it also make more sense to use a cleaner amp? you don't need a twin but maybe something that just has a bit of grind instead of using {censored} tons of pedals in an already brutally dirty amp.

• Members

I dunno, I guess I just dont like the tone of the MK IV, its totly different live then when at home, I dont know how to explain it... and as for getting the Diezel sooner, I would but I cant' cause' Im getting it in germany... and Im gonna' use the Orange for giging like I said, the diezels staying at home...

I see. Again that seems very excessive and makes no sense to me. If you already gig regularly, why do you need an incredibly expensive amp just for your room, which by the way, will probably be massively loud and will sound {censored}ty in your room compared to being on stage. Could I ask why you're going for that setup? Just to baby the diezel and make sure it doesn't get scratched? I just don't really understand the reasoning. Again, I'd say if you're already so into effects that you're using about 20, just try out some less distorted amps. I'd say a rockerverb would probably be too much grind if you're using all those effects. I'd used fender amps forever, and just got a Dr. Z Mazerati which is also very clean. I can't imagine a Mesa amp + much, if any extra outboard distortion would sound good at all. It's all up to you, but I'd save your money and buy the stuff you really want to use instead of buying things because they have more zeros at the end of the price tag. Sure an Uberschall would be expensive, and is probably nice quality, and is popular on the forum, but would that work for my Postal Service-y band? NO! Instead cheap fender amps tend to work well. Decide what specifically about the tone of the MkIV you don't like and get something else.

• Members

I dont wanna' sell my MK IV yet though, at home I love it, like I said live its a beast I cant tame...(that sounded lame probably) I dunno the diezel is just so awsome, but if I get the orange then maybe I should hold off on the diezel till' next year mabye?... and by then Ill probably want to sell the MK IV...?...that sounds good, and the thing is no store around hear has the Oranges I want in stock and those are the two that I want. I think im also gonna' be cuttin down on my pedals (the crappy ones), also would you suggest I get a 4x12 Orange cab for gigging, I already have a 4x12 mesa cab and a 2x12 Orange, or do I get another 2x12 orange and call it a half stack?...like I said I need LOUD, CLEAN AND BRUTAL!!!

• Members

Guitar center stocks diezels...

If it were me I'd get the AD140 and Orange 2x12 and maybe a clean amp like a fender twin or AC30. There isn't 1 amp that does it all. If you want fender cleans, get a fender, if you want marshall crunch get a marshall. If you try to get an all in one solution, you're going to be compromising something.

Tim

• Members

My advice is, given the liking for effects you have.... purge out your {censored}ty effects, get rid of the MkIV and see what of those cleaner amps you'd like. The ad140 is a very loud clean amp, and I'd imagine that and your 212 orange cab would be wonderful. Then maybe get some nice drive pedals and it'd sound great. It won't sound exactly like a diezel but if you already like effects, and want a loud clean sound, that seems like the way to go.

• Members

I live in Canada...no GC here, and the on in Buffalo sure as hell doesn carry any diezels. I dont realy like fender or marshall amps, unless theyre vintage, I mean whats wrong with the Orange amps?...whats the diff between the Rockerver 100 and AD140TC?...

• Members

Also, if you get something like an orange, or some of those el84 type amps, you can get a nice clean sound sometimes, but usually what those amps are good for is getting a bit of grind as you get louder, so you can get some nice Brit-pop type chords. You don't need much brutal gain for britpop. I'd say an orange or vox, or even Dr. Z if you can find it would be awesome, paired with like a booster to push it into more gain for solos or whatever. Would be great for a britpop rythym player

• Members

...So the Orange AD140 eh?...sounds good, and it got better reviews, and the clips sounded wicked, but will it be able to handle all of my effects fine?...good distortion? good clean? when you say drive pedals, I think I have the ULTIMATE drive pedal, the ZVex super duper 2 in 1...that thing will make you go deaf! and would I be better of using the mesa 4x12 I have or the orange 2x12 I have?...or do I get another orange 2x12 and call it a half stack...or, wait a bit longer not get any cab wiht it now, and then get an orange 4x12...?

• Members

I dont wanna' sell my MK IV yet though, at home I love it, like I said live its a beast I cant tame...(that sounded lame probably) I dunno the diezel is just so awsome, but if I get the orange then maybe I should hold off on the diezel till' next year mabye?... and by then Ill probably want to sell the MK IV...?...that sounds good, and the thing is no store around hear has the Oranges I want in stock and those are the two that I want. I think im also gonna' be cuttin down on my pedals (the crappy ones), also would you suggest I get a 4x12 Orange cab for gigging, I already have a 4x12 mesa cab and a 2x12 Orange, or do I get another 2x12 orange and call it a half stack?...like I said I need LOUD, CLEAN AND BRUTAL!!!

You don't NEED a full stack to gig.

An AD140 or Rocker 100 and a 2x12 would be an awesome rig. Then add a good combo amp for stereo goodness.

• Members

I live in Canada...no GC here, and the on in Buffalo sure as hell doesn carry any diezels. I dont realy like fender or marshall amps, unless theyre vintage, I mean whats wrong with the Orange amps?...whats the diff between the Rockerver 100 and AD140TC?...

to the best of my knowledge the Rockerverb has way more gain and the ad140 is quite a bit cleaner. or can be anyways.

also, about only liking fenders if they're vintage..... that seems like a very closeminded view again. more money doesn't equal more tone. i know tons of professional bands who make lots of money who use new amps and i'm sure their tone is better than yours and they play better than you. i'm not trying to knock you, i'm just saying, don't be so close minded about gear! try everything!

• Members

well, my bands more brit rock than pop, and more funk/classic rock, will the AD140 cut threw better than the MK IV?... and is the clean reallyyyy clean?...cause thats what I want. and how is the distortion on them?...and also whats a good footswitch? at my gig on saturday the other bands guitarist had a AD140 and was using a 2 channel morley footswitch. (the AD140 sounded amazing with his fulltone TTE and theremin!!!)

• Members

yeah i say go for the orange. nice loud amp. orange + vox would be sweet. also the super duper isn't much of a distortion pedal. i love them though and want to buy one but can't afford it right now. or a klon mm... that's what i was saying though, it's a very nice boost pedal. if you leave your orange at a mild crunch setting for some chords and hit it with one of those things it'll get a lot more drive going.

• Members

man, IM realy stuck inbetween those two amps now, so how should i decide if my local music store doesnt have either one in stock?, and would I be able to run my MK IV and the orange together live in stereo?...what are the advantages of running stereo Ive never done it...

• Members

man both of them have their advantages and disadvantages, I mean the dude from the band I was talking about was using the AD140 and was getting crazt brutal distortion from it, and didnt have any boost pedals or fuzz or anything.

• Members

Dude, stop dicking around and just go buy what you like the most. You're not making sense:freak:

• Members

again, if you don't like the mkIV live you won't like it stereo.

it's a thicker sound and if you use stereo effects like a stereo delay it's a very thick sound. mmhmm mmhmm. you won't get something with BETTER than fender cleans (hard to get anything as good as fender cleans anyways) with nice brutal gain. what you might want to do actually if you have the diezel this summer anyways, use the diezel as your "brutal gain" type amp, and use another cleaner amp like an ac30. you could switch between them. then you'll have a great clean amp that you can do all your effects whoring on, and then a really brutal heavy amp too. might be good if you know you're going to get the diezel anyways. just get a clean amp for now that you can use your pedals with, then once you get your diezel use both

Archived