What amps did Jim Martin use in Faith No More?

anomaly

• Members

I really hate that tone on "Angel Dust" and am just curious to what he used to get such a horrible tone? :D

Man I love that album though, it's one of my favs from the 90's. I guess the guitar tone works, but it's just so nasally.

• Members

Originally posted by TheDirtyCat

Probably find it was your dream amp that he used hehe.

Haha. It's really unique actually. I can't think of a single amp that sounds like that tone. I'll be very suprised if it's some really popular amp.

• Members

i think on the Real Thing he used some kind of marshall, and the tubes in it were about to blow up and the thing was cranked (and he used Seymour Duncan Live Wires as well)...and i love the tone on that album.

Angel Dust...i dont know...i think he started using Mark series Mesas later on...i never owned Angel Dust so i really cant be sure.

• Members

Originally posted by Hulston Prickle

I believed he used Marshall JCM 800s. If I remember right, his Flying V had a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge.

Angel Dust: Terrific album, muddy production.

I think the production is great on Angel Dust. :confused: Nothing muddy about it IMO.

JCM800's??? Really? I've never heard a jcm800 sound like that before.

• Members

On these albums he used JMP 2203's or JCM 800 2203's w/ his guitars, Gibson Flying V's, which had a Seymour Duncan Live Wire in the bridge and an EMG 60 in the neck:

We Care A Lot

Introduce Yourself

The Real Thing - He was touring with Mark III's after they kind of hit it big with Epic.

On Angel Dust it was the same guitars, but he used Mesa Mark III's in the studio. On the Angel Dust tour he said he used Mark IV's because they were more versatile.

Hope this helps. :)

Dale

• Members

Originally posted by Dale B.

On these albums he used JMP 2203's or JCM 800 2203's w/ his guitars, Gibson Flying V's, which had a Seymour Duncan Live Wire in the bridge and an EMG 60 in the neck:

We Care A Lot

Introduce Yourself

The Real Thing - He was touring with Mark III's after they kind of hit it big with Epic.

On Angel Dust it was the same guitars, but he used Mesa Mark III's in the studio. On the Angel Dust tour he said he used Mark IV's because they were more versatile.

Hope this helps.
:)

Dale

Fuck ya I knew those were Mark III's. The tone is just obvious IMHO.

• Members

We Care A Lot

Introduce Yourself

Hope this helps.
:)

Dale

Thanks. Can't say I'm not suprised.

• Members

Originally posted by Japetus

If you want to hear some TRULY kick ass tone....listen to any FNM bootleg with Trey Spruance on it..King for a Day era...

Cranked up Marshalls!!!!

Yeah, I think the tone on King For A Day is alot better. I've heard some bootlegs from that era and the tone was always sweet.

• Members

Originally posted by Japetus

If you want to hear some TRULY kick ass tone....listen to any FNM bootleg with Trey Spruance on it..King for a Day era...

Cranked up Marshalls!!!!

+1 I love FNM,..and Angel Dust is a great record,...but "King For a Day...." is AWESOME! The songs, tone, playing, everything,..BETTER! One of my favorite records of all time.

I much prefer Trey Spruance style of Jim Martin's.

• Members

Originally posted by Cibyl

+1 I love FNM,..and Angel Dust is a great record,...but "King For a Day...." is AWESOME! The songs, tone, playing, everything,..BETTER! One of my favorite records of all time.

I think Angel Dust is FNM's best album by a long shot, but King For A Day is great too.

Trey Spruance is certainly a more versatile player, as well as more technically proficient. I feel Jim Martin's playing had a little more personality though.

• Members

Originally posted by Cibyl

Same here! I think Trey had the best tone out of all of them. I actually liked Jon Hudson's tone as well.

I loved Trey's style because he just seemed so much more alive in the mix of things. I liked the atmospheric keyboard playing that Roddy provided, but that was cut back a ton in KFAD, which is one of the reasons why Roddy considers that album "{censored}". I guess that's why I like that album more because it's more of a guitar driven album and it's all over the place as far as style points are concerned. It was just refreshing.

Dale

• Members

Originally posted by anomaly

I think Angel Dust is FNM's best album by a long shot, but King For A Day is great too.

Trey Spruance is certainly a more versatile player, as well as more technically proficient. I feel Jim Martin's playing had a little more personality though.

I liked both of them, but Jim was just heavily influenced by Iommi. You can hear that all in his playing. It was cut back considerably during Angel Dust.

It's hilarious when you think about it all. Martin got the shaft in the making of Angel Dust and Roddy was done the same way during KFAD. That was typical of that band. They didn't get along.

• Members

Originally posted by willy22

I remember seeing them on SNL in the late 80's or early 90's and Jim was using Mark III's with the old school Boogie cabs. His tone was killer.
:cool:

That video still may be on YouTube.

• Members

I liked both of them, but Jim was just heavily influenced by Iommi. You can hear that all in his playing. It was cut back considerably during Angel Dust.

It's hilarious when you think about it all. Martin got the shaft in the making of Angel Dust and Roddy was done the same way during KFAD. That was typical of that band. They didn't get along.

Jim Martin more or less quit, didn't he? I know he wasn't very involved with the recording of Angel Dust and he hated Mike Patton. Billy Gould even ended up doing some of the guitar tracks from what I've heard.

• Members

That video still may be on YouTube.

Remember when Living Colour played SNL about the same time? They rocked so hard. I really miss that band. Come to think of it, Skid Row played the show about the same time as well. Both bands were using the Mark III's.

Archived