Fender Pro Jr

FalafelKing

• Members

I have and LOVE my Pro Jr but it is buzzing pretty loud and im only playing it on 4/5 for volume. I thought it could be a pedal but after plugging straight into the amp it's still buzzing. Is there something Im not thinking of? Im probably gonna replace the stock tubes anyhow as they rattle a bit as well.

• Members

im confused as well -

are you speaking of a buzzing sound or does it sound more like something is rattling around loose when you play?

if its buzzing, does it stop when you quit playing? how about when you turn the amp on but dont plug the guitar in, still buzzing?

and if its more of a rattle noise im guessing you only hear it when playing and the amp is vibrating?

anyway - let us know what you mean and we can help more

• Members

Originally posted by FalafelKing

I have and LOVE my Pro Jr but it is buzzing pretty loud and im only playing it on 4/5 for volume. I thought it could be a pedal but after plugging straight into the amp it's still buzzing. Is there something Im not thinking of? Im probably gonna replace the stock tubes anyhow as they rattle a bit as well.

Sounds like a noisy/bad preamp tube... mines doing the same thing right now. Great little amp though. Gotta find a 10" with a better/tighter bottom, then it'll really be money.

• Members

EL84s can rattle too. The first thing is to check the metal pate on the back of the amp- the one with the serial and projr and CE cert and such- 3x5 or whatever. On some of these the rivits are not solid and you will get a sizzling buzz out of that,. Also check the speaker mounting screws as this has cause the problem. The power tube retainers also have been the cause in some cases. Bottom line- check everything mechanical and then test everything electrical- its the least invasive way to solve the problem.

• Members

Originally posted by syrinx

EL84s can rattle too. The first thing is to check the metal pate on the back of the amp- the one with the serial and projr and CE cert and such- 3x5 or whatever. On some of these the rivits are not solid and you will get a sizzling buzz out of that,. Also check the speaker mounting screws as this has cause the problem. The power tube retainers also have been the cause in some cases. Bottom line- check everything mechanical and then test everything electrical- its the least invasive way to solve the problem.

My buzz is defintely a bad preamp tube, you can flick the tube lightly with your finger, with the amp on, and here the rattle. Sounds like a spring in a glass jar. (A filament in a tube?) At least with mine, the noise is defintely from the electronics, being reproduced by the speaker.

• Members

the buzz happens even if the gtr is not plugged in. The rattle is acurately described as being something like a filament rattle. It doesnt bother me much and i will replace the stock tubes. The buzz is a seperate issue and has to be fixed because when mic'd it really is too loud to continue using it. I will try the suggestions given though. All much appreciated and and any more i will heed as well.

• 1 year later...

Archived