Moog Voyager OS for $1,899 new at Nova Musik

soundxplorer

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Why not just get one and get a MIDI to CV box?

Of course that's always an option... the discussion has been more along the lines that Moog could have easily provided MIDI in the OS from the get-go and if they did, it might have sold better.

• Members

Oh sure, there are deals out there. Noisebug had a used Voyager Electric Blue last summer for $1,999. But I got my LP used for under $800.

The funny thing is, I have $2,000+ worth of Moogerfoogers and Eurorack modules, but I would never sell that stuff to fund a "normal" synth.

I thought about the LP, then decided to wait until I could find a deal on a Voyager for these reasons: more CV I/O on the Voyager, and the touchpad.

Voyager OS might have been a more appealing product to me with the touchpad, although I understand the touchpad might have violated the sensibilities of the purist types who wanted to see an updated Minimoog.

• Members

I'd been waiting to get an OS until I could afford it. An old fart like me doesn't need MIDI, doesn't like peering at LED screens, and for a lead monophonic just wants a what-you-dial-is-what-you-get on the knobs. That's exactly the OS. I've wanted one since it was first announced.

I still can't really afford one, but at this price and being discontinued, I can't afford not to get one. So I just did.

Hot damn. I just bought a Minimoog.

I've wanted a Minimoog since the first time I saw Tim Blake play his old "Moonweed" with Hawkwind in 79.

And I finally just bought one. It's just starting to sink in... :D

• Members
I'd been waiting to get an OS until I could afford it. An old fart like me doesn't need MIDI, doesn't like peering at LED screens, and for a lead monophonic just wants a what-you-dial-is-what-you-get on the knobs. That's exactly the OS. I've wanted one since it was first announced.

I still can't really afford one, but at this price and being discontinued, I can't afford not to get one. So I just did.

Hot damn. I just bought a Minimoog.

I've wanted a Minimoog since the first time I saw Tim Blake play his old "Moonweed" with Hawkwind in 79.

And I finally just bought one. It's just starting to sink in...
:D

welcome to the Voyager Old Fart. :thu::cop:

• Members
So, bringing a Voyager OS into your studio instantly disables MIDI on all your other synths?

Yup, it does, because as soon as you bring an OS into your studio, you're going to have so much fun tweaking those knobs and playing with it, all those boring MIDI synths are going to feel left out. ;)

Dang, it's so tempting to pull the trigger... it's like "OS or wife... OS or wife..." :lol:

• Members

That's a no brainer...

Normally, but wives like mine are as scarce, and lovely, as a never-been-unboxed Jupiter-8 selling for $1000.

I could also say "OS or Andy... OS or Andy..." but I don't want to part with the Andy either.

Or order the OS and have it shipped to work... set it up in my cubicle with a pair of headphones... she would never know, and it would make my work day go by faster too! :D At least until I get fired and have to bring the thing home... then I can tell her "it was in storage and they didn't know what to do with it, so they let me have it... honest!!" :lol:

• Members

Hopefully they make some halfway between the voyager and the LP.

An LP with all the knobs, and a more normal form factor would be pretty awesome. I actually was thinking of getting an OS, but it seemed a bit expensive for what I would be using. If it goes to 1500 I will probably buy one.

• Members

And I finally just bought one. It's just starting to sink in...
:D

Dude, that is awesome! I know what it's like to lust over a synth and not be able to get it until years (or decades) later. It's such a great feeling once you do get it.

I wouldn't mind having an OS myself. I usually don't use MIDI in the studio, but have used it when playing live. If if I needed to use MIDI with an OS, I'd just connect it to my MIDI/CV converter. Not a problem at all. The OS would also probably serve as my main controller for my modular.

On the other hand, I'd probably be tempted to buy the Voyager because of the backlit panel. That panel is so wicked looking!! Next thing in line that would sway me to the V'ger would be the patch memory, and then finally the pad (though I still wish it were mounted by the wheels, horizontally).

• Members

also, the knob quantization and tuning precision limits built into the Voyager really DOES change the sound. I noticed it right away playing the OS - it's truly analog smooth like other non-microprocessor-controlled synths are. Just offset two VCOs' tuning slightly and it's pretty obvious. The LP and even moreso the Voyager are not the same as the OS in this respect.

indeed i noticed knob quantisation on Voyager, every time. whether this is a faulty unit (new, displayed in the store), i can't tell. be it as it may, altough some ppl have problems with these kind of classifications, but OS indeed is more analogue than Vyg/LP, in this respect.

moreso, i notice this on all my memory analogs vs. non-memory analogs. it may sometimes be subtle, but wild tweaks of cutoff, esp under resonance, fleshes it out every time. just like digital lfos, you can always get them to "give themselves away".

each system has its advantages and disadvantages obviously. if you need 26 different sounds during a performance, or have a polyanalog, only a memory synth will do obviously. i don't use or need that many sounds live on my monos (mini & sh2), and can set them up in a few seconds. also, i use lot of real time tweaking, where i basically morph from one sound to the other, so the ultimate smoothness of "old school" system (hate that term btw) works to my advantage. ymmv.

i concurr they should have equipped it with barebones MIDI at least. note on/off, MW/PB and velocity to VCA/VCF/ENV. and it should have been priced like this from day one. altough its not a problem to fit it with a capable midi-cv and use all those I/O real estate at the back. also, things start looking up for CV gear, with the new systems like Volta and Silent Way, using DC Audio to control CV stuff. smooooooother and more accurate than midi can ever be.

• Members
I'm buying one this summer...... stick that in your pipe and smoke it :p

The Moog guitar is literally the most innovative guitar released to this date. It's not for everyone by any stretch, but for bands heavy on atmosphere and sound design it's indispensable.

The Moog guitar isn

• Members

Anyone who says there is a difference in sound between the OS and the standard voyager is an idiot. Stepping? Please...

Well i guess that makes me an idiot.

If you try to detune OSC2 on Voyager, values 2 and 3 are barely perceptible and 4 is too much. If you want the in-between values, you are out of luck. They have implemented it this way in order to prevent Voyager from accidental detuning due to external factors such as dust and so on. They have quantized it rather crudely in other words.

There's no such thing as quantization on the Old School as pots are wired directly to the analog board.

Difference: night / day.

• Members

Let me preface my comment by saying I'm a total idiot when it comes to all this technical stuff, so I bow to those of you whom have much more knowledge and experience than I.(Don you are one of those).

I just isolated osc2 on my Voyager and detuned it by the values you mentioned, and I could hear the difference as the value changed. It didn't change abruptly from nothing at +1 or +2 to +4, nor did I notice any stepping.

For this experiment I used a triangle wave and had the cutoff set around 10 oclock. Of course as I lowered the cutoff the difference became more difficult to distinquish.

Perhaps it's because I have an early 50th anniversary Voyager without the backlit panel or any of the upgrades, I don't know. Maybe I'm not understanding what you are saying and my experiment means nothing.:lol: I am totally open to comments and am anxious to learn.

I do love the concept of the OS and to be honest, if I didn't already have the Voyager, I would jump all over the OS. When it was first released, I seriously considered getting one and selling my Voyager 50th edition, but to my ears it sounds great and there is no real need to change.

• Members
Let me preface my comment by saying I'm a total idiot when it comes to all this technical stuff, so I bow to those of you whom have much more knowledge and experience than I.(Don you are one of those).

I just isolated osc2 on my Voyager and detuned it by the values you mentioned, and I could hear the difference as the value changed. It didn't change abruptly from nothing at +1 or +2 to +4, nor did I notice any stepping.

For this experiment I used a triangle wave and had the cutoff set around 10 oclock. Of course as I lowered the cutoff the difference became more difficult to distinquish.

Perhaps it's because I have an early 50th anniversary Voyager without the backlit panel or any of the upgrades, I don't know. Maybe I'm not understanding what you are saying and my experiment means nothing.
:lol:
I am totally open to comments and am anxious to learn.

I do love the concept of the OS and to be honest, if I didn't already have the Voyager, I would jump all over the OS. When it was first released, I seriously considered getting one and selling my Voyager 50th edition, but to my ears it sounds great and there is no real need to change.

You are correct, all detune values are all perceptible on the oscs.

Archived