Moog Voyager OS for $1,899 new at Nova Musik

soundxplorer

• Members

This thing would KILL as part of a modular setup. It doesn't have MIDI, but it does have CV. It makes a very nice looking controller and would integrate nicely into a modular setup.

Does the OS interface with the 351x unit? I am not sure. But if it does not, that is a major thing, because the standard Voyager, with the 351x is freaking a monster of a modular controller, it has two Env outs, CV output from the the gate, area, X and Y parameters of the touch pad, LFO out, pitch, gate, velocity, and aftertouch CV outs, madness.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a Moog Voyager, one of the early ones, in fact I still have the 2.0 OS. This baby ain't leaving the studio unless it needs repair.:lol:
I believe part of leaving the touchpad and midi off was to offer the Voyager at a lower cost, leaving these things off allowed them to do that.

The argument that the OS somehow sounds punchier and/or warmer because it doesn't have to go through the digital section has been discussed my those much smarter than I, and the general consensus is that's a bunch of horse hockey.
What many people forget to mention is the Voyager has an option in the menu that allows you to have all settings go to the default mode(just like the OS) and program from there in real time.
If you don't change the preset, your knobs will be in the same position when you start up.
Then if you create a patch you like, you can save it as a preset and start the process all over again.

I applaud Moog for thinking outside the box but the lack of midi was definitely a bad decision. I think they lost a lot of sales because of it.

• Members

+1

the Little Phatty was my first synth...I am not worthy of the power of the Voyager, but I could not resist. I do a side job for all my synth expenditures...

Nope, I'm just poor.

Voyager Performer
-
$2,985

What I see in the
OS
is the same sound for $1,100 less. And I still can't afford it.
:facepalm:

On the bright side, the
Little Phatty
is most of the same sound for ZERO DOLLARS! ( I already have one).

Lesson learned - be happy with what ya got.

• Members

Nope, I'm just poor.

Voyager Performer
-
$2,985

What I see in the
OS
is the same sound for $1,100 less. And I still can't afford it.
:facepalm:

On the bright side, the
Little Phatty
is most of the same sound for ZERO DOLLARS! ( I already have one).

Lesson learned - be happy with what ya got.

My Voyager Perfomer cost just under $2000 used. I did invest a little extra to send it back to Moog Music for some upgrades (aftertouch, OS 3.0). I love having the XY touchplate.

• Members

My Voyager Perfomer cost just under $2000 used. I did invest a little extra to send it back to Moog Music for some upgrades (aftertouch, OS 3.0). I love having the XY touchplate.

Oh sure, there are deals out there. Noisebug had a used Voyager Electric Blue last summer for $1,999. But I got my LP used for under $800.

The funny thing is, I have $2,000+ worth of Moogerfoogers and Eurorack modules, but I would never sell that stuff to fund a "normal" synth.

• Members
This thing would KILL as part of a modular setup. It doesn't have MIDI, but it does have CV. It makes a very nice looking controller and would integrate nicely into a modular setup.

Yes it would. I was using the Phatty in a similar way, except it was a bit limited not having any CV outputs (just in) Here is what I was doing with that setup:

BoxOneCompleteFlash.jpg

If the Phatso had had CV outs, I probably would still be using this setup (though a bit expanded by now)

I also agree with the people saying that it caters more to the instrument approach. If you don't need MIDI, play by hand, and can make use of the CV available, why spend the extra money?

I have software synths when I need modern features. I build modulars for the archaic, experimental end of things. In that respect, I don't want patch memory, as building a sound from the ground up is what this sort of thing is about. Also, with something as simple as the MMOS, why would you need it? Most of the things it can do are pretty apparent.

I'm not saying there isn't an equal or maybe greater place for the standard Voyager. Obviously its features are quite cool, usable, and popular. What I'm saying is that it shouldn't make the interface of the OS any less relevant. (different, and perhaps smaller market) I'd definitely pick up the OS if I was going for one.

• Members

I applaud Moog for thinking outside the box but the lack of midi was definitely a bad decision. I think they lost a lot of sales because of it.

Agree 100%.

And then there's the brilliant little gem known as the Moog Guitar. I wonder if they sold more than seven of those?

How many of these mistakes can a little company like Moog endure? Maybe they have a ton of cash and no debt.

Up next - the Moog Harmonica.

• Members

there's the brilliant little gem known as the Moog Guitar. I wonder if they sold more than seven of those?

How many of these mistakes can a little company like Moog endure?

I have no idea how many guitars they've sold, but I would think that they would have discontinued it if they weren't making money off it, just like they did with the OS.

In fact, they just released an updated version of the guitar at NAMM last week, so someone must be buying them? :shrug:

• Members

I understand the premise behind the Old School, essentially being a 21st century Model D.

Not everyone wants or needs patch memory, and the Voyager's support for patch memory does lead to the knobs having some aliasing/stairstepping effects that aren't present in the OS.

But, how much more would it have cost to provide MIDI? The OS isn't 100% "old school", it does use a digital keyboard scanner with assignable priority, so it has most of a MIDI-CV converter already inside. Adding MIDI to that would have added, what, $20 to the cost?

I bet more OSes would have sold if it had MIDI. Even if it is just a MIDI IN and nothing else. Those who need patch memory can still get the regular Voyager, or Little Phatty.

But this is a minor rant. If I had a spot for it, I would snap up an OS in an instant. Especially at the sub-$2000 price.

• Members

I understand the premise behind the Old School, essentially being a 21st century Model D.

Not everyone wants or needs patch memory, and the Voyager's support for patch memory does lead to the knobs having some aliasing/stairstepping effects that aren't present in the OS.

But, how much more would it have cost to provide MIDI? The OS isn't 100% "old school", it does use a digital keyboard scanner with assignable priority, so it has most of a MIDI-CV converter already inside. Adding MIDI to that would have added, what, $20 to the cost?

I bet more OSes would have sold if it had MIDI. Even if it is just a MIDI IN and nothing else. Those who need patch memory can still get the regular Voyager, or Little Phatty.

But this is a minor rant. If I had a spot for it, I would snap up an OS in an instant. Especially at the sub-$2000 price.

I would tend to agree, but where do you draw the line for how much MIDI control there is. On the other hand, an internal MIDI to CV box for just the things that are CVIO accessible wouldn't be too bad.

• Members

+1. A beautiful, beautiful synthesizer, and sure to become a collector's item (but MIDI in would have been nice!). I'm tempted to sell off much of my gear to acquire it now, brand new, while I still can...

• Members
I'm tempted to sell off much of my gear to acquire it now, brand new, while I still can...

Maybe I should grab one and just stick it in the attic for a while until I move into a bigger place and have room... or until they start selling for insane amounts on eBay in a few years... ;) Imagine listing a "new in box, unopened" OS on eBay 20 years from now.

• Members

Agree 100%.

And then there's the brilliant little gem known as the Moog Guitar. I wonder if they sold more than seven of those?

I read about a piece for several Moog Guitars, which should be premiering soon in Los Angeles, if it hasn't already. I don't know how many players are in that ensemble. So far I know of four owners for sure, none of which are in the ensemble.

• Members

Bear in mind the Voyager supports polyphony over MIDI. An OS w/ CV-MIDI converter would be monophonic.

• Members

Voyager's support for patch memory does lead to the knobs having some aliasing/stairstepping effects that aren't present in the OS.

You're thinking of knob quantization. Fortunately for regular Voyager owners IIRC, the knobs are quantized to over 2000 steps each. Probably not discernible to most people I would imagine.

Still, knowing that the panel pots are connected directly to the analog sound generating circuitry with no digital intermediary in the Old School is nice, if only on a visceral level. :)

• Members

I read about a piece for several Moog Guitars, which should be premiering soon in Los Angeles, if it hasn't already. I don't know how many players are in that ensemble. So far I know of four owners for sure, none of which are in the ensemble.

Ah, I found the info. It was a piece composed by Mike Einzinger (Incubus) for 12 Moog Guitars, for a festival:

http://www.laphil.com/tickets/performance-detail.cfm?id=4186

Read about it on this thread:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=629571&highlight=moog+guitar

Unfortunately, Disney recorded the performance and owns it.

• Members

Bear in mind the Voyager supports polyphony over MIDI. An OS w/ CV-MIDI converter would be monophonic.

True... but assuming the keyboard and scanning CPU is the same in the V'ger and the OS, if the OS had midi out it could have polyphonic MIDI as well. I have to wonder if Moog used the same keyboard controller board in the OS and Voyager, and just omitted the MIDI circuitry on the OS boards. It would have been cheaper than designing an entirely new board for the OS.

MIDI IN of course would be monophonic, just like on the Voyager. Personally I would be more interested in a MIDI IN on an OS than the OUT, to allow using it with a sequencer. I have other keyboards to use as controllers.

Dang, it's so tempting to grab one. I'd have to sell the Andromeda though to get it past the wife, and I don't want to do that. :(

Though if I start my own business making analog modular synth doodads, I could justify the purchase saying "I need this to test the doodads I'm building!" :D

• Members

what makes you think it has a key scanner in it, kpatz?

i read that the OS was fixed at last-note priority

Last-note priority would require a key scanner. Plus, it has selectable legato or gate-retrigger modes which are selected by holding down (I believe) the top 2 keys while turning it on. The keyboard is velocity-sensitive as well. It has a key scanner.

EDIT: I downloaded the owner's manual. Moog calls it "single trigger" and "multi trigger" modes. Default is single-trigger (legato). Multi-trigger is selected by holding the top two keys while turning the OS on.

Archived