Thickening up a single coil

FWAxeIbanez

• Members
Originally posted by FWAxeIbanez

seriously, bridge position is harsh on its own thats for sure... my aforemention friend with all the strats and tele's has one with lace pups in it, and the bridge position sounds like a bad acoustic simulator, a piezo with all the bass dialed out
:freak:

as if a piezo had any bass at all anyway...

A piezo has a very wide frequency response. If you are running it through your regular amp,of course you won't get much low end. But if you do it right and go direct or through an acoustic amp,it should have plenty.

• Members
Originally posted by Tonemeister69

The bridge single coil isn't harsh at all. You just have to understand that you can't use huge amounts of gain with it
;)

I used no gain what-so-ever, completely clean signal for the most part... without a tone control on the bridge pup, and the particular pup it was, it was definitely harsh

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

A piezo has a very wide frequency response. If you are running it through your regular amp,of course you won't get much low end. But if you do it right and go direct or through an acoustic amp,it should have plenty.

all Piezo's I have come into contact with were twangy and harsh to the point of being brittle, tons of string noise, etc... I'm willing to bet piezo's have come a long way, but surely you can remember the early ones and the disaster they were synonymous with

Guess I should have clarified... oh, and yes, through a regular guitar amp

• Members

Hey guys, my strat thread died quickly... so I'll start a new one.... I'm not a fan of a single coil rythym tone at all, and I don't want to have to route... are single coil sized buckers really that bad? I am thinking of looking into some single coil sized p-90's since its sort of inbetween a hum and a sc, that way I'm not straying too far from strat tradition, yet I get a beefier bridge position... what are you guys using?

This is all single coil.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=127644

• Members

Thats all bridge? with or without tone control? I could live with that easily enough man, what pups are they exactly?

The heavy stuff is all bridge and the bluesy stuff is mostly front pup. Tone controls are all at 10 at all times.

Lace Sensor blue in the bridge and standard fender pups in the neck and middle.

• Members

well thanks guys, I'm gonna get the tone control on the bridge, probably a master tone on a no load switch so I can have all stock sounds in case I do infact need them

at this point, I'm gonna need to get the guitar in my hands and see what it needs before I'm able to ask more questions. Hell, I could plug this thing in, fall in love and never want to do a thing to it

• Members

well thanks guys, I'm gonna get the tone control on the bridge, probably a master tone on a no load switch so I can have all stock sounds in case I do infact need them

at this point, I'm gonna need to get the guitar in my hands and see what it needs before I'm able to ask more questions. Hell, I could plug this thing in, fall in love and never want to do a thing to it

Sounds like a plan :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by JonathanD

I hated mine.

why exactly? I went on the SD site for a price list and wasn't overly impressed with the sound clip afterall... not a particularly faithful recreation of the original, is it? I can't put my finger on it, but something about it kinda rubbed me the wrong way, it was sort of darkish, but thats not usually a bad thing for me, I dunno... the word that keeps coming to mind is "stunted" or something... I can't quite explain what I mean by that, and I'd be wrong if I were to try to say it had a really narrow tone or response, but its the best I can come up with... its like its missing some frequencies on the top and bottom that I'm used to, not so open...

I kinda still want that slinky tone of a single, but I want a nice and meaty chunk when I dig in instead of the typical SC prickle or pop

like I said, I'm gonna have to get it in my hands, although I do know I'm not goin for a hotrail or anything particularly hot, I'm not looking to do heavy at all, thats what the nailbomb in my SG is for... I'm lookin more along the lines of Rumah Sakit, Do Make Say Think, Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky, etc... real earthy warm stuff...

the quarter pounders caught my eye, er, I mean ear... oh well, we'll see what I need soon enough

Archived