Thickening up a single coil

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

Hey guys, my strat thread died quickly... so I'll start a new one.... I'm not a fan of a single coil rythym tone at all, and I don't want to have to route... are single coil sized buckers really that bad? I am thinking of looking into some single coil sized p-90's since its sort of inbetween a hum and a sc, that way I'm not straying too far from strat tradition, yet I get a beefier bridge position... what are you guys using?

• Members
Originally posted by FWAxeIbanez

Hey guys, my strat thread died quickly... so I'll start a new one.... I'm not a fan of a single coil rythym tone at all, and I don't want to have to route... are single coil sized buckers really that bad? I am thinking of looking into some single coil sized p-90's since its sort of inbetween a hum and a sc, that way I'm not straying too far from strat tradition, yet I get a beefier bridge position... what are you guys using?

Tone control on the guitar.

• Members

Rio Grande Muy Grande strat bridge pup. I have the Muy Grande in my tele, and it will kick you amp in the balls. It has a very big P90 vibe to it, while retaining the finer points of a true single-coil pickup. Check it out if you can.

• Members
Originally posted by mojavecat

Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde fattens up and cancels out the ice pick on my strat.
:thu:

I actually have one of those... heh

I'm seriously thinking about that mini '59, I think I'll dig up a price list or something, what do they go for? That Rio Grande pup sounds good too, I remember looking at it... Time to hit google hard I guess :idea:

I gotta figure out why I have such a negative opinion towards mini buckers, I had myself convinced no one around here cared for them.

Hot Rails with a coil tap, then you have SC when you want it and humbucker drive when you want.

I can't stand Hot Rails man, thanks for the help, but I just can't live with them

• Members
Originally posted by telephant

Ever taken your pickguard off? Chances are your guitar is already routed for hum/single/hum.
;)

Its not here yet... that will be the first thing I do... Its an American Standard, can anyone tell me off hand if it has an HsH route or not?

If I can indeed pop a bucker in there, than I will and I won't worry about the tone control... but I have heard a ton of people talking about hooking the tone up to the bridge, and it was definitely something I was planning on... thanks guys

• Members

Originally posted by FWAxeIbanez

Its not here yet... that will be the first thing I do... Its an American Standard, can anyone tell me off hand if it has an HsH route or not?

I cant tell you for a fact, but Im 90% sure it is. All the American deluxes are, I know that much.

• Members
Originally posted by bcjames

Spot on. Wire the second tone to the bridge. I get a pretty creamy smooth tone with it rolled off a bit.

You got it. Either that or a single master tone. Gotta have a tone control on that bridge pickup.

• Members

Originally posted by telephant

I cant tell you for a fact, but Im 90% sure it is. All the American deluxes are, I know that much.

hmmm... I'm thinkin about replacing the pickgaurd anyway, I hope you're right...

as you all can tell, I'm not an authority on strats at all... I never used to like them when I was starting out and it stuck with me for some reason... then all of a sudden I played a tele with a maple board and fell in love, I ended up settling for a strat because I couldn't ever find a tele that sounded like my buddy's, and all the strats I tried were closest, although sadly, still a bit different

• Members
Originally posted by tlbonehead

You got it. Either that or a single master tone. Gotta have a tone control on that bridge pickup.

seriously, bridge position is harsh on its own thats for sure... my aforemention friend with all the strats and tele's has one with lace pups in it, and the bridge position sounds like a bad acoustic simulator, a piezo with all the bass dialed out :freak:

as if a piezo had any bass at all anyway...

Archived