Saw God yesterday: EC concert review

LordRiffenstein

• Members

First of all, thanks to Mark Big Hair for his review a month ago, it made me get the tickets as I was not really planning on going. Now I'm glad I went !

Robert Cray Band opened up for EC so basically we had 2 topacts for the price of one. We arrived JUST on time to hear Cray play and damn this guy is great. What a voice, what a sound. I dont know why but I was expecting him to have an icepick tone but instead his tone was really good. He was running 2 Matchless heads with matching cabs and a Fender. I did not know the songs but I really liked what he did, gotta get me some albums.

Then it was time for god to enter the stage. There were some surprises for me:

- he had a full band again with 3-piece horn section, 2 backup vocalists

- No Nathan East, no Steve Gadd but 2 new black musicians, unknown to me but both stellar players

- EC was in great shape, last time I saw him (3 years ago) he looked really old, now he was looking well

They kicked of with Pretending and they set the route for the entire concert, EC, Doyle Bramhall and Derek Trucks got to play a solo as they would continue to do in most songs. I'm not going over the playlist but I for one was glad that he did not do just a greatest hits show but also played a bunch of other songs. EC was very inspired and played some kickass stuff. He was using his signature strat into 2 Tweed Fender Twins. Same rig as he had on the Cream reunion. His playing to me was on par with the performance on those DVDs, just excellent. Then there was Derek Trucks, I had only heard some of his stuff but knew he is highly regarded as a player. He played a SG the entire evening, 2 amps behind him, no pedals afaik. Trucks laid it down and showed some KICKASS playing. Not sure how old he is but he's just as much a monster player as Bonamassa. Great tone and very inspiring playing. Very eager as well, you could see him watching EC as he was soloing and picking up from EC. Very cool and DT and EC seemed to get along really well. Finally there was also Doyle Bramhall. I was expecting a lot from him as I became a fan some time ago. BUT, big but, he was not good saddly. It looked as if he was not into it at all, his tone was bright fuzzy trebly and his playing lacked inspiration. He had a bunch of strats, pedalboard the size of a football-field and a Fender and Marshall combo. Bramhall would get his ass handed by Trucks almost every {censored}ing time and it looked as if he knew very well that Trucks would slay him throughout the evening. During the encore, they played Crossroads and brought out Robert Cray again and the 4 of them played some mean solos.

I really enjoyed this show and it was probably one of the best EC shows I have ever soon, highly recommended!

• Members
:thu: Awesome. I think Derek Trucks is the best living slide player, and easily one of the best living guitarists. If you can, pick up or download (because it's very hard to find, not because you're a pirater) the Derek Trucks Band Live at the Georgia Theater. One of the best live albums EVER, no joke.

I REALLY wish they were playing US dates... I'm kind of spazzing out about not being able to see Eric Clapton and Derek Trucks play together. Derek seems to channel Duane's spirit sometimes, and although no one will ever be Duane, he gets the closest. Derek and the Dominos? The special edition of Layla & Other Assorted Love songs has tons of jams and the interplay between Clapton and Duane is unreal. I imagine a similar chemistry between Clapton and Trucks after their comments about their studio collaborations.

• Members

Originally posted by rememberduane

Derek seems to channel Duane's spirit sometimes, and although no one will ever be Duane, he gets the closest. Derek and the Dominos? The special edition of Layla & Other Assorted Love songs has tons of jams and the interplay between Clapton and Duane is unreal. I imagine a similar chemistry between Clapton and Trucks after their comments about their studio collaborations.

Oh yeah, when they played Layla, I had serious goosebumps, it was awesome. Trucks and Clapton def had a good chemistry going.

• Members

Nice Review!

I'll have to put my radar on to see if he is going to visit the Westcoast with that crew....

My most memorable EC concert was years back when Mark Knopfler played back up on the tour... killer show, and my friend bootlegged the concert as well (mic in his hat) :)

• Members
Originally posted by rho

Nice Review!

I'll have to put my radar on to see if he is going to visit the Westcoast with that crew....

My most memorable EC concert was years back when Mark Knopfler played back up on the tour... killer show, and my friend bootlegged the concert as well (mic in his hat)
:)

Wanna share that bootleg? :D

• Members
Originally posted by rho

It's on a cassette tape... I'll try to fish it out and if I find it, I'll dub it for you... np.

:)

I FOUND IT!!!!

EC LIVE at the Shoreline Ampetheatre, Mountain View, CA September 1988

I'll try to record the cassette on my hard drive then burn it on a CD...

I have a bunch more of other bands as well... forgot I had these little gems :)

• Members
Bramhall would get his ass handed by Trucks almost every {censored}ing time and it looked as if he knew very well that Trucks would slay him throughout the evening.

That's not why these guys play. If he wasn't dman good, he wouldn't be doing a Clapton show.

Man I have seen hundreds of "shows" and accwept for a very very few local shootouts, I never saw anyone looking like, or wanna be in, any kind of "ass-handing" or "slaying".

He might have been having some personal problems. Maybe gear problems. And maybe, as was mentioned, delibarately just watching and hanging around

• Members
Originally posted by LordRiffenstein

Oh yeah, when they played Layla, I had serious goosebumps, it was awesome. Trucks and Clapton def had a good chemistry going.

good job I have most of layla on video from the show I went to :)
I'll see if I can rip the audio from it - how can I get the audio from a mpg or wmv??

• Members

Big Clapton fan here. I just got the tour schedule.

Clapton tour info

Not many of the North American shows have tickets on sale yet. I'm really looking forward to seeing him again. Hopefully Derek Trucks will play the entire tour. Doyle Bramhall is excellent as well. He and Derek did a nice job on Susan Tedeschi's last album.

Archived