Can someone recommend me a keyboard method?

mcmurray

• Members

G'day guys.

I played piano quite a bit when I was younger, can read music easily. I'm looking for a decent keyboard method book. My goal is to master the keyboard enough to make backing tracks for electric guitar instrumental tunes. Need help mainly with harmony and chord voicing etc for modern instrumental music.

Any recommendations? Not looking for something too simple, and I don't want something that's Jazz oriented.

Cheers.

• Members

^ Is that a joke?

Songs include:Amazing Grace; I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing; Merrily We Roll Along; Ode to Joy; Yankee Doodle; Row, Row, Row, Your Boat; Clock Tower Bells; Catch a Falling Star; Russian Sailor Dance; Lean on Me; Chant of the Monk; Chant of the Mo

NOT what I was after. Maybe I should have clarified, I'm not a beginner to piano.

Anyone had any experience with these?

http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Rock-Keyboard-Leonard-Style/dp/1423409213/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

or

http://www.amazon.com/Rock-Keyboard-Complete-Guide-Leonard/dp/0634039814/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

• Members

G'day guys.

I played piano quite a bit when I was younger, can read music easily. I'm looking for a decent keyboard method book. My goal is to master the keyboard enough to make backing tracks for electric guitar instrumental tunes. Need help mainly with harmony and chord voicing etc for modern instrumental music.

Any recommendations? Not looking for something too simple, and I don't want something that's Jazz oriented.

Cheers.

If you are looking for chord progression in modern instrumental music, Jazz components are must-go-through, unless you want to play just with triads.

How about this one? The first few pages look good to me.

http://www.amazon.com/Chords-Progressions-Jazz-Popular-Keyboard/dp/0825622867/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265609879&sr=8-1#noop

• Members

If you are looking for chord progression in modern instrumental music, Jazz components are must-go-through, unless you want to play just with triads.

How about this one? The first few pages look good to me.

Jazz is indeed a great repository of theory. But I think you should be able to do very well without complex jazz progressions... Non-jazz-exclusive chords/progressions -- such as sevenths and ninths, suspended 4ths, sixths, standard diatonic progressions with some nods to chromaticism, and a good solid understanding of conventional classical progressions -- are more than enough for several genres, I would think --

-- film scoring

-- prog rock/metal

-- country/western

-- dance/electronica

-- new age/ambient

-- traditional/patriotic/holiday

-- classic rock

All this can be had by what the average Western musician already has indoctrinated into his ears. For someone with a bit of piano fundamentals as the OP has, all that's needed is a bit of voicing coaching. Jazz optional.

• Members

Since I've a bit of a buzz, lemme presume a bit and condense what you already know into a few simple rules:

1) you'll want to compose keys with a few general areas in mind -- bass, pads/background chord washes, some general sections with semi-lead lines/harmonies, characteristic keyboard sound parts (piano comping, string lines, brass parts)

2) each part will pretty much already dictate its voicing:

-- bass: monophonic, mostly roots, some walking or passing notes

-- pads: choices of closed chords (thirds apart) or open chords (more than a third), using conventional voice-leading for each part (each part 'singing' its part, note to note, no weird jumps a vocalist couldn't do

-- motifs: with bass and pads already sketched out in background, occasional foreground parts like woodwind riffs or organ licks or analog synth lines are at your discretion, just use your ear here

-- 'character' parts: if you're wanting to get more of a signature style happening, such as typical brass lines of Brazilian or Mexican culture, or even ska or '40's big band, this part will require book-learning or schooling

Since your music is going to be predominantly guitar-oriented, with rather basic classic rock drums and rhythms, my guess is that you just need some good-sounding background keyboard material, and that you already possess the ear. The challenge is orchestration, not voicing or theory. You have to imagine what you want to hear in the background, as far as sound and textures go. The rest is cake, just using your ear to guide you for chords/voicings. HTH

• Members

seriously though music theory is quite easy - master the circle of fifth in every possible direction and you'll get it. No book is needed. Most of the popular music is based on simple progressions like 2(4)-5-1 or 3-6-2-5-1 with variations. More advance songs add reharmonization substitution and that's all.

• Members

All this can be had by what the average Western musician already has indoctrinated into his ears. For someone with a bit of piano fundamentals as the OP has, all that's needed is a bit of voicing coaching. Jazz optional.

Yes, you're right. I don't think OP needs things like "play walking bass on the left, while inprovising on the right" jazz thingy at all. That's why I put the link to the book @ amazon which looks like starting with chord voicing, like inversion, etc. The title of the book has "Jazz", so I just wanted to emphasize, you can't exclude "Jazzy elements" if theory books talk about chord progression and voicing. "Jazz" is a so much misused term, like "Smooth Jazz", which is not Jazz at all to me.

• Members

Thank you for the replies, very helpful.

-- pads: choices of closed chords (thirds apart) or open chords (more than a third), using conventional voice-leading for each part (each part 'singing' its part, note to note, no weird jumps a vocalist couldn't do

I need something that addresses this in particular, harmony (particularly how it's played on keys) isn't my strongest area.

• Members

noob question - what is meant by the term 'pads'? Is it a synonym for chords?

Is the keys in the following tune what is known as a pad?

Yeah, that tune starts out with what I'd call a "drone" and then goes into a "pad" (sustained flowing chords).

• Members

^ Is that a joke?

Songs include:Amazing Grace; I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing; Merrily We Roll Along; Ode to Joy; Yankee Doodle; Row, Row, Row, Your Boat; Clock Tower Bells; Catch a Falling Star; Russian Sailor Dance; Lean on Me; Chant of the Monk; Chant of the Mo

nope, not a joke; it's a good method but maybe not hip enough for you

since you're uninterested in jazz, maybe Blues Piano or pop piano

I have both books and have actually cracked the blues one: it's pretty good. I'm not much of a 'learn from books' guy, though.

May I also recommend just playing along with your preferred repertory with your ears and mind open. Astonishing what you can learn.

• Members

Hi,

Would not recommend the Hanon - it is mostly (if not solely) a technique book, which does not sound like what you're after.

I would highly recommend the Mark Harrison Pop Piano book linked in the post above. Covers a range of styles, with many examples. Lots of information about chord progressions and different ways to play them. And although its called "piano" at least a lot of it would apply to electronic keys as well. Give it a look.

Chris

• Members

Well, mcmurray, if you're already a competent guitar player who knows how to make chord progressions to your liking, then it sounds like all you need is some tips on how to translate your current musical understanding to keys, correct?

If so, some basic rules may be all you need to take your repertoire into the synth realm... interested for a few tips here, or do you still prefer a book?

FWIW, I have intermediate skills on guitar, so should be able to speak your language clearly...

• Members

^ Chord progressions are my weak point truth be told. I'd like to learn them and practice them on keys as it's easier for me to visualize. Been focusing way too much on lead guitar and my rhythm/harmony has suffered horribly. I'd like a book to get me on the right track, although tinkering on the keys the last couple of days has proven beneficial.

Archived