OT: Old doods nostalgia over obsolete tech

augerinn

• Members

For those old enough to remember coaxial ethernet, it's the same thing; Both ends of the cable must be terminated.

He He, I know a guy that used to look for unprotected terminators in public places (usually a store of some sort) and un plug them for kicks...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh man, that's cruel.
:lol:
I learned the hard way to check the terminators first when there was network problems; I spent a whole day trying to diagnose network problems only to discover that I had left the terminator off one end.
:facepalm:

Just had a thought...

Token Ring....

:mad:

• Members

LOL! I can certainly tell that some of us are "of an age".
:lol:

I remember my first SCSI hard drive didn't work until I figured out the buss needed
active
termination.
:facepalm:

:D My first hard drive was a Seagate ST-225 MFM 20MB drive. Two ribbon cables plus power, AND required termination. It also made that scraping and chirping noise that I hear used as a stock sound effect for computers in cartoons, movies, and games all the time. chirp chirp, scrape, chickachicka, chirp chirp...

• Members

:D
My first hard drive was a Seagate ST-225 MFM 20MB drive. Two ribbon cables plus power, AND required termination. It also made that scraping and chirping noise that I hear used as a stock sound effect for computers in cartoons, movies, and games all the time. chirp chirp, scrape, chickachicka, chirp chirp...

OMFG... talk about a blast from the past... I've installed a few of those drives in my day... now I can hear the stepper motor sounds in my head again... chunk chirp chugga-chugga...

Do you remember those full-height 20MB CMI drives that IBM used in the original AT? Those drives were dead quiet, but about as reliable as a Juno-106 VCF chip. They would crap out left and right.

• Members

Lol I fought my share of Arcnet Bus Termination problems (Arcnet - you know that stupid coax network connection stuff).

I also had a Seagate ST-225 as my first hard drive. Wow 20MB (yes mb not gb) for $500, but it beat using floppies on my highly powerful 4.77Mhz (yes Mhz not Ghz) computer with killer 4 color CGA graphics.

And who can forget when memory was $1000 for 1mb. imagine how much 1gb would have cost back then.

• Members

Lol I fought my share of Arcnet Bus Termination problems (Arcnet - you know that stupid coax network connection stuff).

I also had a Seagate ST-225 as my first hard drive. Wow 20MB (yes mb not gb) for $500, but it beat using floppies on my highly powerful 4.77Mhz (yes Mhz not Ghz) computer with killer 4 color CGA graphics.

And who can forget when memory was $1000 for 1mb. imagine how much 1gb would have cost back then.

Honestly, I remember spending $10,000 for 128 megs of memory on a Mac IIfx back in like 1992. Not me personally, but the graphics company I worked for. The RAM cost more that the machine itself. We'd spend like $14,000 on a full IIfx. :freak:

I can't even comprehend that today and I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't actually do it.

• Members

Did anyone ever populate their own XT boards with a full compliment of 640KB of DRAM using individual DIP chips? 4 rows of 9 chips; 2 rows of 256K and 2 rows of 64K. I once did that to over 50 (yes) machines in one evening... my thumbs and fingers were SO SORE. :lol: Some of them even got math coprocessors installed, too.

Man. We've come a long way.

• Members

:D
My first hard drive was a Seagate ST-225 MFM 20MB drive.

Heh. I had an Amiga 500 when I was a teenager and my cousin had one too. I went over to his house one day and he was excited about what he had just bought - a 20MB hard drive. I couldn't quite wrap my mind around the concept. I asked "Why would you need something like that? Just swap out the floppy disks when the computer asks you too. Is it that hard to do?"

• Members

My first computer was a 386DX @ 25mhz. It had 4 megs ram, 125mb hard drive, VGA graphics card, and a 14" ViewSonic monitor - $1500. This would have been the summer of 1992. That was back in the day when Computer Shopper magazine looked like a phone book every month.

• Members

Can't...resist...thread...

I remember when I added a second FDD to my 8086 PC. It was heaven, not having to flip flopppies in & out all the time. Then came my 10 Mb HDD. It was the size of a toaster.

And there was this nub, see? On his first solo field service job for a customer running an IBM System/36 setup? Seems nobody told him he had to notify the admin before unscrewing random twinax connectors. And he (the admin) was a real dik about it...:facepalm:

From ZORK II: "This is a large room full of assorted heavy machinery, whirring noisily. The room smells of burned resistors. Along one wall are three buttons which are, respectively, round, triangular, and square. Naturally, above these buttons are instructions written in EBCDIC..."

• Members

He He, I know a guy that used to look for unprotected terminators in public places (usually a store of some sort) and un plug them for kicks...

I am confused, if they were already unprotected then why would they need to be unplugged? Unless his kick was making them safe?

• Members

Yes, yes... my evil plan is working! Old Techies can't resist talking about old tech! MUWHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

I just enjoy this kind of... how much changes (and some {censored}ty stuff) we've gone through. But I'm also surprised myself, something never changed at all. Like music and song I listen to...clapton, bb king, etta james, stevie wonder, etc. hasn't changed much even the player was LP record/turntable back then, MP3-ipod now.

• Members

i remember buying games on cassette for my 800XL from the discount bin at the downtown Sears' "computer department" and copying them onto discs when i got home so i wouldn't need to use the tape again.

somehow, i'm only 32.

i also remember BBSing at 300 baud from that thing. i don't remember doing anything useful or interesting though ...

Archived