I blew my Bogner Shiva @ Friday gig...

cdp

• Members

Ran an 8 ohm extension cabinet along with the Shiva (combo) 12" speaker. Split the signal coming out of the Shiva (normally 16 ohm) into two 8 ohm signals. Done it exactly this way dozens of times. The problem is...

The speaker jack came out of the extension cabinet, so I played a 1 hour set with unbalanced load (forgive my lack of technical expertise) and the amp shut off 45 minutes into the set. The tubes glow, but no output at all. Any ideas what burned out and how much $$$$ this will cost? I'm putting her into the shop on Monday morning. :cry:

• Members

I'm no amp tech, but in the real world I repair hoisting equipment. I deal with transformers in that capacity and when they go, it's usually due to heat- an unbalanced load can certainly induce heat, as can a voltage problem. That being said, a blown trans will usually smell or appear burnt. The casing can warp, and the insulation around the winding can get scorched. If your trans is bad, it should be pretty obvious.

• Members

I sense an Output Transformer in my very near future, lol.

The worst thing about it was having to finish the show going from my pedalboard into a direct box. The tone SUCKED. Oddly, I know a few (electric) guitarists who go the direct box route at every show. I don;t get it.

• Members
Originally posted by cdp

I sense an Output Transformer in my very near future, lol.

The worst thing about it was having to finish the show going from my pedalboard into a direct box. The tone SUCKED. Oddly, I know a few (electric) guitarists who go the direct box route at every show. I don;t get it.

Look at the bright side- now you have an excuse to get one of those Mercury Trans' like the one Voodoo just put in my amp. Think of your amp as Steve Austin. "Gentlemen, we can rebuild him.":thu:

• Members

Originally posted by BadHorsie

Look at the bright side- now you have an excuse to get one of those Mercury Trans' like the one Voodoo just put in my amp. Think of your amp as Steve Austin. "Gentlemen, we can rebuild him.":thu:

Mercury Trans???? I'm intrigued - do tell us more about it! keep in mind that I like my amps clean with just a hint of gain - and get my OD and Distortion from my stomp boxes...

• Members

Originally posted by ProjectX

Did you check both fuses?If the HT fuse blew you would still have the tubes lit up.

+1 That's what I was gonna suggest,...check that first before jumping to the "worst" conclusion.

• Members

Originally posted by cdp

Ran an 8 ohm extension cabinet along with the Shiva (combo) 12" speaker. Split the signal coming out of the Shiva (normally 16 ohm) into two 8 ohm signals. Done it exactly this way dozens of times.

Are you saying that the amp is set to 16 ohms and you are using 2 - 8 ohm loads?

• Members

I doubt it's a blown OT, although it's possible. It's more likely the output tubes failed (and, never just look at them and assume they're ok because they're "lit"). So try new output tubes, bias the amp, replace whatever fuses you need to, and see how that goes. Check for carbon on the sockets when you change the tubes too. You'll need to completely remove it from above and below the socket if any exists, and replacing the sockets is the best idea in this case.

Good luck.

• Members

Originally posted by JamesPeters

I doubt it's a blown OT, although it's possible. It's more likely the output tubes failed (and, never just look at them and assume they're ok because they're "lit"). So try new output tubes, bias the amp, replace whatever fuses you need to, and see how that goes. Check for carbon on the sockets when you change the tubes too. You'll need to completely remove it from above and below the socket if any exists, and replacing the sockets is the best idea in this case.

Good luck.

+1

Jerry

• Members

Originally posted by cap'n'crunch

+1

Thats what I thought he was saying.

2 - 8 ohms in parallel = 4 ohms.

it's mainly bad for power tubes though, which is probably what fried, possibly taking out some other parts with them.

• Members

Originally posted by cdp

Ran an 8 ohm extension cabinet along with the Shiva (combo) 12" speaker. Split the signal coming out of the Shiva (normally 16 ohm) into two 8 ohm signals. Done it exactly this way dozens of times. The problem is...

The speaker jack came out of the extension cabinet, so I played a 1 hour set with unbalanced load (forgive my lack of technical expertise) and the amp shut off 45 minutes into the set. The tubes glow, but no output at all. Any ideas what burned out and how much $$$$ this will cost? I'm putting her into the shop on Monday morning.
:cry:

I've blown the OT on a Rivera. You cannot miss the smell. It's like burning nasty Elmer's glue. That said, I agree with those who say you may have just blown a fuse or wrecked your power tubes.

Archived