Funny Kirk Hammet conversation...

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

So I was jammin with a friend of mine the other day when casually it came up he was related to Kirk Hammet... Its sort of distant, I guess his dad is cousins with Kirk's dad, but anyway... I told him "Not to disrespect, and I dig older metallica, but I'm not really a fan of your cousin man" and he goes "I know what you mean, I have been to his house about three times, and one time he was playing with a slacky guitar player (apparently its the equivalent of like hawaiin smooth jazz or something, lots of lush chord voicings like 9ths and 13ths) and he was lost!"

I looked at him, and I said "Let me guess... pentatonics?"

he looked like he had seen a ghost... hahaha, he was like "yeaaaah! I couldn't believe it! he was completely lost!!!"

I was surprised at the ease of diagnosis and not surprised at the same time, it was a funny situation nonetheless :freak::D

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by nick fury

Haha, I think that's 'slack key', unless he was just a real lazy guitarist...

But anyway, small world, huh?

probably was, I'm tired and never saw it spelled out... I got the impression it was all open tunings and what not

• Members

Originally posted by D/FW XJ'er

BS
:rolleyes:

Haha, I put it on the uber...

seriously, do a search for my name, I've never done a troll thread, I'm not that type of guy... I have no reason to make {censored} up, but I also really don't have any way to prove it

its up to you guys if you wanna believe or not I guess, heh

• Members

Don't buy it. Kirk let's almost nobody into his house. Very few people have seen the inside of that Adam's Family compound. When he plays at home it's normally in the "basment", that has been converted to a full studio. Aside from all of that, Kirk is moderately versed in this type of playing and probably would not appear to be "lost" by any stretch of the imagination. I find that most people who slag Kirk's technique...can't play anywhere near as well as he can. Just my opinion.

• Members

Originally posted by angelspade

Don't buy it. Kirk let's almost nobody into his house. Very few people have seen the inside of that Adam's Family compound. When he plays at home it's normally in the "basment", that has been converted to a full studio. Aside from all of that, Kirk is moderately versed in this type of playing and probably would not appear to be "lost" by any stretch of the imagination. I find that most people who slag Kirk's technique...can't play anywhere near as well as he can. Just my opinion.

Haha, ok then... you wanna stick your head in the sand, go for it

I have no reason to lie, and haven't yet, I was laughin so hard... Next time I go over there I'm bringing Some Kind of Monster to watch because I was raggin on them so hard he wants to see it now... He's only known he was related for like 8 years (he's quite a bit older than me, I'm only 21)

• Members

Originally posted by FWAxeIbanez

There is not much to get, its laying right there in front of you, nothing hidden

What does a slacky guitarist have to do with 13ths and 7ths? :confused:

"I know what you mean, I have been to his house about three times, and one time he was playing with a slacky guitar player (apparently its the equivalent of like hawaiin smooth jazz or something, lots of lush chord voicings like 9ths and 13ths) and he was lost!"

What do pentatonics have to do with slacky guitarists playing "lush" chord voicings with 9ths and 13ths?

Or are you saying that this "slacky" guitarist was playing.. whatever, and Kirk was confused and trying to play pentatonics over it?

• Members

I'm no Hammet fan but...

So I was jammin with a friend of mine the other day when casually it came up he was related to Kirk Hammet... Its sort of distant, I guess his dad is cousins with Kirk's dad, but anyway... I told him "Not to disrespect, and I dig older metallica, but I'm not really a fan of your cousin man" and he goes "I know what you mean, I have been to his house about three times, and one time he was playing with a slacky guitar player (apparently its the equivalent of like hawaiin smooth jazz or something, lots of lush chord voicings like 9ths and 13ths) and he was lost!"

he looked like he had seen a ghost... hahaha, he was like "yeaaaah! I couldn't believe it! he was completely lost!!!"

I was surprised at the ease of diagnosis and not surprised at the same time, it was a funny situation nonetheless
:freak::D

trollxing.png

You know he used to take lesson with Satch right? :wave:

• Members

Originally posted by dreamspace

You have HEARD Kirk, right?

Yes. And i've heard him solo classical stuff as well as pentatonics. He knows a damn site more than just pentatonic scales.

Agreed - live he isnt the greatest....but as i said...i've seen/heard him play some quite intricate stuff and i've also heard he has quite good knoweledge of scales and modes and stuff.

Sorry - i dont believe this story.

• Members

Haha, ok then... you wanna stick your head in the sand, go for it

I have no reason to lie, and haven't yet, I was laughin so hard... Next time I go over there I'm bringing Some Kind of Monster to watch because I was raggin on them so hard he wants to see it now... He's only known he was related for like 8 years (he's quite a bit older than me, I'm only 21)

Yeah...got it.

• Members

Originally posted by uz3r

OP post a link to one of your platinum selling cds so i can listen before you slag.

Since number of albums sold is directly proportional to talent, right?

I don't see what the big deal is. I would be VERY surprised if he could play jazz or things with complex chord changes.

I'd love to see a link of him playing this "classical" stuff.

• Members

Originally posted by olejason

I don't see what the big deal is. I would be VERY surprised if he could play jazz or things with complex chord changes.

platinum or not, i just want to hear these people that slag players like kirk first.

• Members

Originally posted by olejason

The OP needs to provide clips of ANYTHING to show how awesome he is. Obviously if he can laugh at Kirk stumbling around then he is a phenominal player, that has no problem playing this Slacky whathaveyou. Or the more realistic scenario is that the OP is a bitch trying to be funny, and just got called out for making {censored} up. :wave:

• Members

Originally posted by dreamspace

You have HEARD Kirk, right?

Yes, yes I have.

And as we know, Satch ONLY TAUGHT pentatonic scales right?

Listen to early Metallica. He plays more than just pentatonic scales. So unless you can show where someone else wrote those non-pentatonic lines

I'd say you have no case.

Which also makes me believe that the people who claim such, doesn't even know what a pentatonic scale IS. Or have never really listen to anything Kirk has played.

FWAxeIbanez I think just needed some attention.

Archived