DSL vs TSL

uz3r

• Members

I for one prefer the DSL. I used to own a TSL and the rhythm guitarist in my band just got an 'Orange Crunch' LM ed. DSL100.

I dont remember the TSL sounding anywhere near as good.

It sounded sublime on the classic channel, dimed through my Orange 2x12.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

All of this is always so subjective. I have owned quite a few Marshalls in my lifetime and they have all been great in there own right. I had a TSL for a year or so, it was ok, but alot of pots to fiddle with. Sorta like some people said, Do you like the pedals in your amp or on the floor. I kinda like a little of both, but not alot of one. Lets face it we will never be totally happy. We will always be tone chasers. But currently I'm using the DSL 50 on a 1960a. I love this combination at the moment. I also use a tube screamer and a noise gate in front. Two musts for me. I also do what the other guy said. I have a BOSS eq running through the fx loop for a much needed thump. The 1960a tends to be a tight cab and does not move must air unless pushed. The eq adds quite a bit of bottom with this setup through the loop. My dsl is a 2003 model. I like the tights pots on the dsl over what was on my tsl. the tsl pots were very lose. I just do not like the feel of lose pots. With some carefull tweaking with everything from the Non varing line voltages, (Variac to be consistant)amp, pedals, guitars, fingers, tubes, speakers, talent and biasing, the dsl makes a fine amp. Now once youv'e found your sound, leave everthing set in place and do not touch anything. you will be all set until you break it down to setup for another gig. Actualy the dsl and 1960a has proven for me to be the best setup ive ever owned up til now of course. who knows what tommorow holds. lol good luck. go with the dsl 50 for sure. it's a winner.

• Members

I once saw a DSL50 that had a footswitch between the modes as a mod.

I read about that on here a year or 2 ago! Using the Reverb jack and a 2nd footswitch the mode is wired to switch the Classic gain switch on for the clean channel. Sounded so good I thought of getting it done on mine..but never got around to it. :D

As for the TSL vs the DSL. Well...I've owned the TSL122 100w 2x12 combo and now own the 85th Anniversary 1923C limited edition combo - which is a DSL50 in a 2x12 combo version that was never previously released! Not the DSL201 and 401 combos that had a different front panel and ran EL84's. They do this kind of stuff Marshall...a good way of making more money down the line! Release an old amp in a new format/version. Anyway I used to own the DSL50 head and a 1960AV cab and it 100% is the exact same amp...anyway, my point being modern Marshalls all sound pretty similar to my ears, I never had the DSL and TSL at the same time, but they always gave me the same impression tonally. Maybe had I heard them side by side I would notice what everyone talks about on here. That said my first Marshall that I owned for 10yrs was a mkI JCM900 Dual Reverb again in 2x12, and I could notice in both the TSL and DSL amps that they had better cleans and the dirt was smoother and more refined.

Archived