Kurzweil PC3X???

Thorhead

• Members

I am thinking about buying a kurzweil PC361 or PC3 (still thinking which - I dont want semi weight but I do like to have more keys...).

Anyway I am a bit skeptical if I should get it or not, I already have Korg X50 and a Roland sonic cellW/ Orchestra SRX which are both OK, but the kurzweil is ok too... It has a VA inside too.

I exspecially would like better strings sounds, but I am not sure if kurz has better strings than roland anyway, also I am interested on on the synth and piano sounds mainly, obviously the kurz is still a "Budget" solution as the rom on it is pretty small and so on. The opinions on the boards are pretty mixed.

So what do you think get or not to get?

Blofeld or something might be a better choice but I dunno.

Yup I do like to hear some audio demo where someone plays this thing, pref someone from the forum :love:

• Members

I exspecially would like better strings sounds, but I am not sure if kurz has better strings than roland anyway, also I am interested on on the synth and piano sounds mainly, obviously the kurz is still a "Budget" solution as the rom on it is pretty small and so on. The opinions on the boards are pretty mixed.

HAHA!

In this case, the size of the samples has nothing to do with the quality of the sounds. The PC3 blows away ANY roland regarding string sounds. Or actually, it blows away any other hardware keyboard.

• Members

The PC3 has some of the best string and orchestra sounds on just about any board out there. These samples are almost never criticized at all and they've become the high-water mark to achieve with other boards.

It's where the other samples on the PC3 come into play that it get's criticized. Such as it's piano (some love it, some hate it), it's guitars, it's horns. It's like any other board, it has some high strengths, but some low points. There is no universally praised board out there. But I'd hardly call the PC3 a "budget" solution.

The keys on the PC361 are synth keys. The PC3 has semi-weighted and full weighted is on the PC3x. But if the quality of the samples on the ROM (other than the string and orchestra) are worrisome to you, you may want to wait a little while and get the PC3K...which you can load in samples into non-volatile memory (meaning they stay there when they machine is turned off and come right back...no "loading"). Not sure when it will come out, but it should be "any day now". :D

If you want some demos, go to Kurzweil's site...tons of audio demos and even a bunch of tutorial videos showing what you can do with it:

http://www.kurzweilmusicsystems.com/Product.php?id=37

• Members

The PC3 has some of the best string and orchestra sounds on just about any board out there. These samples are almost never criticized at all and they've become the high-water mark to achieve with other boards.

It's where the other samples on the PC3 come into play that it get's criticized. Such as it's piano (some love it, some hate it), it's guitars, it's horns. It's like any other board, it has some high strengths, but some low points. There is no universally praised board out there. But I'd hardly call the PC3 a "budget" solution.

The keys on the PC361 are synth keys. The PC3 has semi-weighted and full weighted is on the PC3x. But if the quality of the samples on the ROM (other than the string and orchestra) are worrisome to you, you may want to wait a little while and get the PC3K...which you can load in samples into non-volatile memory (meaning they stay there when they machine is turned off and come right back...no "loading"). Not sure when it will come out, but it should be "any day now".
:D

If you want some demos, go to Kurzweil's site...tons of audio demos and even a bunch of tutorial videos showing what you can do with it:

http://www.kurzweilmusicsystems.com/Product.php?id=37

Yeah other thing I really hate about it, is the lack of inputs, cause I like to put my lead sounds through distortion boxes, and then you cant use the FX sections like delays and stuff after that...guess I need some master FX units

Anyway I see only couple audio demos and some tutorial videos with almost no sound.... I want to see someone GOOD actually play this thing =).

• Members

The Kurzweil PC3 has the KSP8 effects unit built in. It actually has very good distortion and other studio quality effects built in. The 'verbs are the best I've heard in a keyboard.

The string sounds are incredible and compare nicely against some software libraries. Leagues ahead of RoloKorMaha.

I like the Kurzweil piano. It's an updated version(s) of the original Triple Strike samples.

• Members

The Kurzweil PC3 has the KSP8 effects unit built in. It actually has very good distortion and other studio quality effects built in. The 'verbs are the best I've heard in a keyboard.

The string sounds are incredible and compare nicely against some software libraries. Leagues ahead of RoloKorMaha.

I like the Kurzweil piano. It's an updated version(s) of the original Triple Strike samples.

But there's no input option is what the OP is saying. You can't like hook a guitar or another keyboard up to it and use it's onboard effects with the other instrument's sounds.

• Members

yeah I would REALLY like an input, sux that it doesnt have one.

Anyway I still want demos of someone playing the thing... The string sounds do sound a bit better than roland I think, mostly cause they are much much much better programmed...

• Members

To me, the PC3 is the best workstation in the market (well, it does not have sampling, but I dont use it except for some libraries like Take 6). The pianos are amazing and the orchestra sound are the best without doubt. You have a lot of other good stuff inside the machine and you can create a lot of new stuff.

Just buy it, you wont regret and you even will find the sounds of the X50 tiny compared with the PC3. I have a k2661 and the Micro X, which is similar in sound quality to the X50, and I can say that the Kurzweil is highly superior as instrument (sound quality, controller, etc), and in synth capabilities is 200% better.:thu:

• Members

HAHA!

In this case, the size of the samples has nothing to do with the quality of the sounds. The PC3 blows away ANY roland regarding string sounds. Or actually, it blows away any other hardware keyboard.

I've got to agree, and for the record, I also own workstations made by Korg, Yamaha, and Roland. I'm really impressed with the quality (and usability) of the sounds in the PC3X.

• Members

If you practice a lot then you can do even FASTER than on synth weighted keys, but with enhanced precision because the keys are heavier.

Semi-weighted actions are a compromise - but they are not suitable for delicate piano lines, for example. They're good all-arounders, though.

A good idea still is to have a fully weighted keyboard (so, PC3x) and hook up a 61 key synth weighted controller for organs, leads, etc.

• Members

If you practice a lot then you can do even FASTER than on synth weighted keys, but with enhanced precision because the keys are heavier.

Semi-weighted actions are a compromise - but they are not suitable for delicate piano lines, for example. They're good all-arounders, though.

A good idea still is to have a fully weighted keyboard (so, PC3x) and hook up a 61 key synth weighted controller for organs, leads, etc.

Yeah but it is quiet hard to do same key tapping with weighted keyboard fast, cause the key doesnt come up fast enough - and it is harder to play with weighted fast... So how weighted are the semi weighted keys exactly?

Damn I must find a store with the kurzes inside to test one I guess... I want to use the AT when soloing so using the korg is not an option, and I do like to have couple extra keys...

• Members

Yeah but it is quiet hard to do same key tapping with weighted keyboard fast, cause the key doesnt come up fast enough - and it is harder to play with weighted fast... So how weighted are the semi weighted keys exactly?

Damn I must find a store with the kurzes inside to test one I guess... I want to use the AT when soloing so using the korg is not an option, and I do like to have couple extra keys...

Let's just say that if you practice a bit and do the key repetition on a weighted keyboard as fast as you play them now on an unweighted keybed, you could do them twice as fast (on unweighted keys). Weighted keys are only going to improve your technique.

• Members

Let's just say that if you practice a bit and do the key repetition on a weighted keyboard as fast as you play them now on an unweighted keybed, you could do them twice as fast (on unweighted keys). Weighted keys are only going to improve your technique.

My speed is already 100%, and I often practice with an old super weighted digital piano :lol:.

I dont want a practice board but a live board.

BTW is the PC3x going to get discontinued when PC3K comes, and is there ANY word on the expansions?

• Members

My speed is already 100%, and I often practice with an old super weighted digital piano
:lol:

I dont want a practice board but a live board.

BTW is the PC3x going to get discontinued when PC3K comes, and is there ANY word on the expansions?

You're never on 100%. People like Rudess and Hiromi Uehara or Yuya Wang constantly prove this :p

PC3x won't get discontinued. In fact, Dave Weiser said that whichever OS update PC3K gets, PC3 will get it too (if it's not sampler related).

If you're on Sonikmatter, then you should've catched Dave's post about expansions which said "summer seems about right. If there are some changes I'll notify you of course". :thu:

• Members

BTW the PC3k has new keymaps (or old really) that PC3x doesnt have right?

Anyway, I am kind of thinking about waiting for the PC3k, cause it might dump the price of PC3x a bit.

On the other hand with the current market, I think the price might rise...

I should ask dave about this :mad: But what do you think is going to happen to the price on summer, when 3K comes out?

(On side note PC3x is already cheaper in the EU, and roland just lifted prices in similar situation, SRX crap cards cost 500!!! here, cheaper to order from US straight).

Archived