Got my SPLAWN QUICKROD!!!! review inside!!!

guitarist17

• Members

Originally posted by Urban Ghandi

The QR Clean channel is really not as bad as people are making it out to be!

I guess it depends on "what year your QR was made?"

Certainly there are amps with better clean channels...everyone points to Fender amps and with good reason.

The QR is not as chimmy as the Fender cleans but it's more alive than a Dual Rectifier...by far. I have these amps side by side with a Tonebone amp switcher...I can say this with authority.

I use the clean channel on about 5 songs out of a 38 song set list each night we play...at loud volumes it sounds very good.

The clean isn't that bad, but it's still missing something for me. I can't really put my finger on it. It just seems kind of lifeless/one dimensional. I like rolling my volume back on the gain channel better...seems to have more body to it.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Urban Ghandi

The QR is not as chimmy as the Fender cleans but it's more alive than a Dual Rectifier...by far. I have these amps side by side with a Tonebone amp switcher...I can say this with authority.

I use the clean channel on about 5 songs out of a 38 song set list each night we play...at loud volumes it sounds very good.

All I needed to hear. I was fine with my dual recto's cleans so if the splawns are more alive, then {censored} yea....Now...KT88's or EL34s?

Puncky, big bottom end...a sevendust type of sound, but more marshally...any suggestions on wich one?

• Members

Originally posted by ZielGuitarist

All I needed to hear. I was fine with my dual recto's cleans so if the splawns are more alive, then {censored} yea....Now...KT88's or EL34s?

Puncky, big bottom end...a sevendust type of sound, but more marshally...any suggestions on wich one?

I'm getting KT-88s with mine after hearing dropthisd's clips.

• Members
Originally posted by guitarded_1

The clean isn't that bad, but it's still missing something for me. I can't really put my finger on it. It just seems kind of lifeless/one dimensional. I like rolling my volume back on the gain channel better...seems to have more body to it.

My worst fear :o

• Members
Originally posted by Megadeth7684

Make some clips bitch!!! I've yet to hear any high gain metal clips of this amp, which makes me not care about it. Prove me wrong.
:thu:

I kinda feel the same way, except I really do care... I have found that I love big loose loud angry amps, and I'm thinkin a splawn or an engl would be a good way to go... not that it can replace the Uber, but it'd be fun to have around...

so anyway, yeah, post some high gain stuff man, I'd love to hear it cover that kind of ground

• Members

Originally posted by guitarded_1

I kinda always feel that way about marshally cleans... I'm always rollin back on the gain channel for cleans, even on the uber which has cleans I really like

• Members

Originally posted by FWAxeIbanez

I kinda feel the same way, except I really do care... I have found that I love big loose loud angry amps, and I'm thinkin a splawn or an engl would be a good way to go... not that it can replace the Uber, but it'd be fun to have around...

so anyway, yeah, post some high gain stuff man, I'd love to hear it cover that kind of ground

big loose angry amps? engl and splawn is the opposite man, as far as bottom end tightness is concerned

• Members
Originally posted by Megadeth7684

Make some clips bitch!!! I've yet to hear any high gain metal clips of this amp, which makes me not care about it. Prove me wrong.

no high gain metal clips? lol...maybe no arch enemy clips, but plenty of metal clips to be had ;)

• Members

glad you're diggin' your new toy, man!

ran mine through teh greenies at decent volumes last night and the night before...

bogner user came up to me last night and was tellin' me how much he was diggin' it...he heard OF splawn but never heard one in person....

metal!!! =)

Archived