OT - UPS no longer insuring my packages for damage

k2500x

• Members

I pack my own packages, double-box - floating the inner box in foam peanuts, and ship fully insured

This is the best advice one can use for shipping. I also like to take pictures of different stages of the packing process as proof.

+1 on UPS.

• Members

Do you actually double box brand new keyboards in their original packaging? The box and internal packing (which I added extra) are pretty heavy duty. It would take a massive fall or slice from a samurai sword to actually damage the thing. (knocking on wood right now)

• Members

Do you actually double box brand new keyboards in their original packaging? The box and internal packing (which I added extra) are pretty heavy duty. It would take a massive fall or slice from a samurai sword to actually damage the thing. (knocking on wood right now)

It depends on the quality and packing material the manufacturer used. If I'm shipping a large ticket item I have to protect myself against any negatives the insurer may try to use to decline a claim.

I think all keyboards should be double-boxed from the manufacturer, something many of them do not do. If I remember correctly only my Voyager and Andromeda have been double-boxed(I could look in the basement but I'm too lazy today).

Oh and a note to manufacturers, please don't print what item I have all over the outer box, I don't like people all along the shipping food chain to know what's inside.

An online or catalog retailer has a better chance of recouping damages than us lowly periodic shippers because they have large accounts. So, it's best to do whatever you can to protect yourself and if that means spending an extra 40-50 dollars it's worth it in the long run.

Again, I stress the importance of taking pictures to back up your claim of using peanuts and double-boxing.

If your using ebay or something similar you can always factor in the additional cost and explain it in your auction.

Besides protecting yourself, who wants to see a nice piece of gear get damaged anyway.

• Members
People in this thread have mentioned FedEx as a viable alternative.
:facepalm:

FedEx is the
worst
...at least in my area. My
last three
experiences with them were
very
similar to this woman's:

(snip)

UPS is fine...never had a problem with them in two decades. I pack my own packages, double-box - floating the inner box in foam peanuts, and ship fully insured from the UPS counter at my local Office Depot.

I have an office buddy who had a similar issue with DHL and Dell. I don't think that Dell uses DHL anymore (or if DHL are in business anymore). If I was the woman with the laptop issue I would have canceled the credit card payment and stated that the item was never delivered as promised. I think it is funny how she uses "would of" instead of "would have" in several places; that is a colloquialism used in spoken communication in my home town. I have noticed it creeping into written communication on Facebook by people from my high school.

• Members

DHL is horrible, I don't see how they can be in business anymore. Every driver I've seen hasn't worn an official uniform and several times I've caught drivers throwing packages from the front walk up to the front door.

I guess that's the third place difference.

• Members
People in this thread have mentioned FedEx as a viable alternative.
:facepalm:

FedEx is the
worst
...at least in my area. My
last three
experiences with them were
very
similar to this woman's:

I have never had any problem with either UPS or FedEx Ground and I have shipped a number of packages. When using FedEx Ground I would normally go to my local Kinko's.

Archived