Setting for Metal Zone used as clean boost?

nick fury

• Members

Ehh...I tried using one as a clean boost and the EQ is still too nasally to be used like one.

Also, it never really gets very clean, even with the gain all the way down.

I've got a Rocktron Metal Planet which is similar to a modded Metal Zone, and it's got a lot flatter EQ than the Metal Zone. It still doesn't do a clean boost very well.

Get a Bad Monkey :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Jarick

Ehh...I tried using one as a clean boost and the EQ is still too nasally to be used like one.

I've got a Rocktron Metal Planet which is similar to a modded Metal Zone, and it's got a lot flatter EQ than the Metal Zone. It still doesn't do a clean boost very well.

Get a Bad Monkey
:thu:

I know some people use it as a clean (as if) boost with success (Cannibal Corpse, Pig Destroyer). Since my friend has one lying around, I thought I'd give it a shot.

I agree about the Metal Planet, I had it briefly, but returned it because I needed money for something else. But yeah, if the 'experiment' was succesful, that's probably what I'd go for.

• Members
Originally posted by nick fury

Any suggestions? How are people using one as a boost? I just need a starting point, I'll be borrowing one to see how it works in such scenario.

Same as any overdrive/distortion pedal. Level high,gain low. Am I missing something here?

• Members

Originally posted by HottKarl

Level - nearly cranked.

Low - around 9:00

High - noon

Mid & Mid Freq - 2:00

Dist - off

Mine is the Keeley modded version. I run it into the high gain channel of my VH140.

Dying Fetus tone.....

Which mode did you have it set to?

• Members

Center position, ultra tube mode.

I've been using my keeley mt-2 to boost my Marshall 3203, but I keep running into a problem whenever I use the two other modes than stock. It seems to be causing the SS preamp on my amp to "clip" it sounds like. I try remedying this by loweing the volume on the pedal in conjunction with lowering the pre volume on the amp, but I can't get it to go away. When I use it in regular mode (all the way left) it sounds pretty cool.

• Members

Originally posted by diocide

I've been using my keeley mt-2 to boost my Marshall 3203, but I keep running into a problem whenever I use the two other modes than stock. It seems to be causing the SS preamp on my amp to "clip" it sounds like. I try remedying this by loweing the volume on the pedal in conjunction with lowering the pre volume on the amp, but I can't get it to go away. When I use it in regular mode (all the way left) it sounds pretty cool.

I think that's the stock MT-2 setting. Go figure.

Yeah, there is a little clipping on mine as well but not so much that you'd notice. I mean for god's sake I'm using a complete SS rig so I'm not getting a lot of "warm tube-driven tones" out of my setup anyways. ;) I do adjust thel level back slightly....too high and you just introduce static/clipping into the signal.

And I just looked at my pedal to double check and I do have distortion up around 8 - 8:30....just slightly on, to color the tone a little.

• Members

I think that's the stock MT-2 setting. Go figure.

Yeah, there is a little clipping on mine as well but not so much that you'd notice. I mean for god's sake I'm using a complete SS rig so I'm not getting a lot of "warm tube-driven tones" out of my setup anyways.
;)
I do adjust thel level back slightly....too high and you just introduce static/clipping into the signal.

And I just looked at my pedal to double check and I do have distortion up around 8 - 8:30....just slightly on, to color the tone a little.

Yeah, the Marshall has a SS pre with a tube power section. Heres my setting just for fun;

Pedal-

Level 4:00

All EQ's- Right around 12:00

Distortion- All the way down

Mode- Stock MT-2 mode

Amp-

Pre Vol- 4

Tone- 4 (That's right, just a tone knob:D )

Gain- 7

Post Vol- 8

• Members

For metal settings....the MT-2 is a decent cheap alternative. It just gets such a bad rap here....which I'm OK with. It ain't the tone for everyone. An MT-2 into a Recto is a GREAT death metal tone....used to run that before I sold my Triple.

• Members

For metal settings....the MT-2 is a decent cheap alternative. It just gets such a bad rap here....which I'm OK with. It ain't the tone for everyone. An MT-2 into a Recto is a GREAT death metal tone....used to run that before I sold my Triple.

It's definetly not everyones cup of tea. I used to use mine as my main sound and then stopped using it once I got my Marshall and a Bad Monkey. I've recently started using it again though, and I like it a lot. It has a kind of raspiness that the BM doesn't have.

• Members

I know some people use it as a clean (as if) boost with success (Cannibal Corpse, Pig Destroyer). Since my friend has one lying around, I thought I'd give it a shot.

I agree about the Metal Planet, I had it briefly, but returned it because I needed money for something else. But yeah, if the 'experiment' was succesful, that's probably what I'd go for.

I hear you...and I've heard they work well for that purpose. But you HAVE to want that notched sound.

If you do want a Metal Planet, I'm selling mine for pretty cheap ($60 shipped with original box)...I'm trying to fund some BYOC pedals...as well as get my dog spayed and buy furniture and put down a rent deposit :p

Anyways, watch the SPAM thread or PM me. I'm going to have a TON of stuff up tonight with pics...

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

Yes,I'm well aware of that. Set those to taste.

Since it has two shelving eq's and a parametric mid eq, it's a little less obvious than just a tone knob. I just curious if people use it to boost the mids, cut the mids, any specific freq etc.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.

• Members

Since it has two shelving eq's and a parametric mid eq, it's a little less obvious than just a tone knob. I just curious if people use it to boost the mids, cut the mids, any specific freq etc.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.

I see.

• Members

Originally posted by Jarick

Get a Bad Monkey

I tried one the other day at a shop with the intention of using it as a clean boost. So I set it Level max, mids & bass flat, a touch of highs and gain off. Wasn't "clean" really. Also sounded like a cocked wah. Couldn't get rid of it either. Messing with the mids, I could still hear a nasalness underneath everything. I'm glad i went to a store to try it right away rather than sending away, waiting anticipating...

• Members

Originally posted by Matter-Eater Lad

I tried one the other day at a shop with the intention of using it as a clean boost. So I set it Level max, mids & bass flat, a touch of highs and gain off. Wasn't "clean" really. Also sounded like a cocked wah. Couldn't get rid of it either. Messing with the mids, I could still hear a nasalness underneath everything. I'm glad i went to a store to try it right away rather than sending away, waiting anticipating...

So you weren't even able to dial it out with the mids cut completely and the right frequency?

Archived