line out into a cabinet?

chinmie

• Members

Hello

I've bought an used crate vintage club 20 combo amp recently (no Manual), and I was wondering, can I use the amp's output into an 8 ohm cabinet? (the line out says 16 ohm, the internal speaker also have the same rating). if its not safe, is there a way to connect them?

• Members

I don't have that particular amp...maybe someone who does can chime in.. It sounds odd that a combo would have a 16 ohm output.

Just to be clear:

Generally a "line out" is a non-powered signal. You could, for the sake of clarity, say "speaker output".

I think it is accepted that you can go from an 8 ohm speaker output to a 4 ohm cab with low risk, but not vice versa.

So higher to lower?

Someone correct me?

• Members
Originally posted by chinmie

Hello

I've bought an used crate vintage club 20 combo amp recently (no Manual), and I was wondering, can I use the amp's output into an 8 ohm cabinet? (the line out says 16 ohm, the internal speaker also have the same rating). if its not safe, is there a way to connect them?

A line out is not powered and will give you nothing. You want to use a speaker out. And I would certainly stick with what the amp is designed for. You'd be flirting with an opened up tranny otherwise.

• Members

my mistake 17 tubes, it's the ext. speaker out, just like you said. it also has a headphone out jack. this amp is a tube based 12 inch combo, similar to a fender blues junior..

the speaker is wired to the amp. so I guess it's not safe to connect them? is there another way to do it?

Another question guys: can I use the headphone out to go direct to P.A mixer? or will I damage the amp also?

Archived