best solid state combo around $500?

bluesboy

• Members

Im looking to sell off some of my gear and buy a solid state combo (preferrably 2X12, but not totally necessary) for around $500. I dont want alot of built in effects and fluff. I play mostly modern rock with some classic rock mixed in... i play distorted about 90% of the time. Any suggestions?

• Members

im looking for solid state because they're cheaper than tube amps... im trying to conserve money by buying cheaper stuff and selling my more expensive stuff. Im looking for a hard rock sound, like stone temple pilots, lenny kravits, etc. what about line 6 stuff?

• Members

There's this one (doesn't match all your requirements, but it is cheaper)

marhsall_front.jpg

Marshall 5210 combo

2 channels, spring reverb, 50Watts output with a single 12" speaker. Gets a pretty decent Marshall tone, but all solid state.

OBDISCLAIMER: I'm selling mine, and I live within driving distance if you are interested.

If you don't mind tube, you might be able to get a small Boogie for under $500. I recently picked up a .50 Caliber + for less than that (and that's why I'm selling the Marshall). Although I don't think it's quite the vintage tone.

• Members
Originally posted by hoerni

There's this one (doesn't match all your requirements, but it is cheaper)

marhsall_front.jpg

Marshall 5210 combo

2 channels, spring reverb, 50Watts output with a single 12" speaker. Gets a pretty decent Marshall tone, but all solid state.

OBDISCLAIMER: I'm selling mine, and I live within driving distance if you are interested.

If you don't mind tube, you might be able to get a small Boogie for under $500. I recently picked up a .50 Caliber + for less than that (and that's why I'm selling the Marshall). Although I don't think it's quite the vintage tone.

OMG!!! I have that very same model amp. I bought it new in 1986 and I still have it to this day!

Great amp for a 50Watt solid state! I don't use it as my main amp anymore but I will never part with it cause it sounds so good!

• Members

about 5 years or so back i had a fender stage 100... i remember wiht medium gain (like 4) and medium EQ settings (everything around 4-6) I got some killer rock sounds with my les paul. I think i may pick up that amp again

• Members

Bluesboy i have a Ampeg 150R S.S. head im very close to selling! a 2 channel awesome amp! take a few mins + read the reviews on the head and combo's (very impressive) scores well over 9 across the board!

Would you have any interest in that?

• Members

Originally posted by ***1776***

Bluesboy i have a Ampeg 150R S.S. head im very close to selling! a 2 channel awesome amp! take a few mins + read the reviews on the head and combo's (very impressive) scores well over 9 across the board!

Would you have any interest in that?

how much would you sell it for? I would have to get a cab for it too, which might be a pain in tukus

• Members

Originally posted by bluesboy

how much would you sell it for? I would have to get a cab for it too, which might be a pain in tukus

Its in my sig, you can get a decent lil cabinet for a few bucks more but youll have a nice setup! Im sure someone hear can sell u a cab on the cheap lol..

Did you REALLY read the reviews/scores on those amps? (both combo + head) IMPRESSIVE and mine sounds great! Im not "selling" you (well kinda lol) but take 5 mins and read the reviews on them!!

Its 2 channel, very EQ responsive (turn a knob and u have a different sound), reverb and loud as hell! You cant go wrong with it and the clean channel is as good as ANY S.S clean sound and the distortion is AWESOME!

Archived