Peavey Classic 50 clip

guitarbilly74

• Members

Yeah, that's a nice clip and good tone. A little misleading because most classic 50's do not sound like that unless you crank them like you did and add some studio magic. The average guy with just his classic 50 and guitar isn't going to get that tone right out of the amp.

• Members

Originally posted by Mr. Brady

most classic 50's do not sound like that unless you crank them like you did and add some studio magic.

I agree with you to an extent but I think that's true for any tube amp: you have to really crank it up to get the best out of it.

I think the average guy with a good guitar and the classic CAN get this tonec IF he can crank the master volume past 10.

The EL84 overdrive is a big part of the amp's tone and the sweet spot for power tube overdrive on this amp is around 10-12. It really makes the amp sound twice as thick and creamy after that point. The problem is, unless you use an attenuator, that volume level at that point would be overkill for most situations.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Originally posted by blima

Sure, here we go:

Guitar: stock SG std.

Tubes: Groove Tubes

Speaker, mic etc: Well I am actually running the amp through a home made attenuator/load box and an Ultra G speaker emulator straight into the mixer.
:cool:

EQ settings:

Pre 10

Post 8

Bass 8

Mids 5

Treble 6

Master 11 (
:D
)

Presence 9

FX: Vox V830 Distortion/booster with the Gain, Tone and Level all set at 12 o' clock. (for faster parts only)

The delay is a factory preset on the g-major.

That's it
:)

So I'm interested in hearing more about your home made attenuator/load box.

• Members

man I don't know any of the technical specs.. all I know is it works :D but it was actually built by a fellow HC forum member, musicdog400.

It sounds great and works flawlessly.. I do loose a little bit of high end with the attenuator, but that's what the amp EQ knobs are for ...

hey Musicdog400, if you read this.. give some tech info about the attenuator

Archived