My Grandfather's Homemade Amp---Pics. Inside and Out.................................

c2dzmm

• Members

Originally posted by c2dzmm

I guess I had better take it to a tech before I use this head again---it just makes me feel bad to have to replace any parts----especially when it was working fine the last time I used it.

If it was working fine (except the speaker), then by all means, leave the guts alone.

I'd just get the powercord replaced with a newfangled safe one. I don't think Dad or Gramps would mind you making a simple change for safety's sake. It ain't the fifties anymore:D

• Members

that cap looks "leaky" in several senses of the word!

have a tech reform the caps on a variac.

you ever shoot a .22 in your bedroom? thats what a cap blowing will (not would) sound like.

Other than that...replace the cord with a 3 prong and you should be G2G!!!

COOL!!!:thu:

• Members

Bump so our amp tech/builders can spec this hottie out:love: :love: :love: !

I love {censored} like this. So many amp builders got their original designs from the project schematics tube makers used to publish to promote their wares. Used to be people - especially ex-military types with electronics exprience - could get an RCA manual and build all sorts of stuff.

• Members

awesome pics. Man I bet that thing sounds noice. I'll agree with several other posters. Be carefull when plugging it in and take it to a real good tech to correct that cap and give it a look over.

Again sweet amp bro. Don't ever get rid of it man, thats an heirloom you've got there.:thu:

• Members

Looks like it uses 6V6's in the power section which to me sound like glass breaking. Those things are seriously sharp. And Octal preamp tubes.... which were extremely prone to microphonics because of the larger plate. You can find some Octal preamp tubes that are strong as hell, but given the age of that thing's tubes, I'm betting it's going to hum and ring like crazy.

I'm guessing it might not exactly be my cup of tea by the looks of it.

• Members

That looks cool as hell. Terrific that it is still working.

If it were mine (and built by my grandfather) this is what I'd do:

1) Replace the power cord with a 3 prong/grounded cord.
2) Replace the electrolytic capacitors. They aren't designed to live forever. Many function just fine for a lot longer than they were designed to live (back then 15-20 years) but if one fails in your amp there is a good chance it would take out a transformer (a far more expensive part).
3) Replace any other capacitors that are getting "lumpy".
4) Clean any scratchy pots with electrical contact cleaner. Replace any that won't "unscratch" or that "pop" or "thump" when you turn them.
5) Get a set of replacement tubes. Chances are good that the ones in the amp are still ok, but the only reliable way to know (that I know of) is to compare to known good tubes. Its a good idea to have spares on hand anyway.

None of these suggestions have any bearing on the quality of the original build. Some parts just wear out & replacing them before they fail is just good maintenance. Good luck & enjoy.

• Members

Originally posted by RupertB

That looks cool as hell. Terrific that it is still working.

If it were mine (and built by my grandfather) this is what I'd do:

1) Replace the power cord with a 3 prong/grounded cord.

2) Replace the electrolytic capacitors. They aren't designed to live forever. Many function just fine for a lot longer than they were designed to live (back then 15-20 years) but if one fails in your amp there is a good chance it would take out a transformer (a far more expensive part).

3) Replace any other capacitors that are getting "lumpy".

4) Clean any scratchy pots with electrical contact cleaner. Replace any that won't "unscratch" or that "pop" or "thump" when you turn them.

5) Get a set of replacement tubes. Chances are good that the ones in the amp are still ok, but the only reliable way to know (that I know of) is to compare to known good tubes. Its a good idea to have spares on hand anyway.

None of these suggestions have any bearing on the quality of the original build. Some parts just wear out & replacing them before they fail is just good maintenance. Good luck & enjoy.

Great recomendations. Only downside is that he does all that spends for the caps and tubes and 3 prong cord not to mention the pot cleaner and replacement of {censored}ty pots and the amp sounds like total {censored}. Not to mention if he can't do it himself and pays an amp tech 100 bucks or more to do it.

Still if it was my grandfathers design I'd do it just for the fun of him having a rebirth so to speak.

• Members

Just like the others have said, new caps, cord, and a check over and she'll be as good as new. Don't judge a book by its cover, that amp might sound great. I've worked on tons of old amps that looked worse than that and they were some killer amps. They aren't gonna be any good for metal, but they'll make a great blues amp or maybe even classic rock with a tube screamer in front of them.
Jerry

Archived