Carvin Legacy owners...

lespaul6

• Members

Originally posted by lespaul6

I've seen more than a few comments stating the overdrive channel is too smooth to play rhythm....is there any truth to this?

What does that even mean?

if you like Vai, you'd probably like the legacy.

If you are a classic rock guy, just get a marshall or something.

• Members

It does rhythm fine.
Mids are your friend...and the Legacy has nice phat lower mids.
It's got quite a bit of gain, but it's still touch responsive.
If you like really high gain and compression (like a 5150) it may not be your thing...it has more of an old Marshall type of feel.

• Members

Originally posted by Randy Van Sykes

It does rhythm fine.

Mids are your friend...and the Legacy has nice phat lower mids.

It's got quite a bit of gain, but it's still touch responsive.

If you like really high gain and compression (like a 5150) it may not be your thing...it has more of an old Marshall type of feel.

That is really what I'm looking for...big open punchy tone with string to string separation and sustain with little compression... I use lower gain PAF humbuckers and like to get my distortion from the amp.

thanks for the input.

• Members

I had one for a while and I wish that I would have kept it. Anyway, I have pretty much always played with brighter amps dialed in for a darker tone and when I got the Legacy, it took some getting used to. Lots of lower mids and it was very smooth. Rhythm riffing sounded huge but not quite as cutting as I was used to. I added an EQ and that changed the whole world of tone for me. Again, I should have kept it.

• Members

my main amp is a 2555SL slash Marshall....and I think I know what you are referring to as dark. I played my slash marshall next to a soldano slo and the slo had a brighter top to it...the marshall did not have that bright sheen that sort of laid on top of things...if that makes any sense. Ive also owned a Splawn Quickrod and the drive also sounded darker. So far nothing compares to my Slash head for punch and authority and for getting that pushed plexi sound with the option of a footswitchable clean. Its loud as hell though...only draw back if playing out.

• Members

vai pretty much sounds the same regardless of the amp he is using: Laney, Marshall, Egnator, Bogner, or Carvin...his sound is very affected- I just plug straight in and I forbid my right hand from touching the fretboard, mainly because thats his thing (and Eddies). Hopefully I'll just sound like me- which is usually the case regardless of what amp I play through. I do notice that lower gain marshalls force me to play differently, especially solos...I play more like I would on an acoustic guitar with the marshalls.

Archived