Are Celestion AlNiCo blues really worth the $$$?

Deadbeat Son

• Members

I'm about to pick up a 212 cab, and am trying to figure out what to load it with. I'll most likely be running a JMP 2204 with Yellowjackets into it.

I was thinking about just going with Greenbacks, but am curious about the Blues or the Weber equivalents. Do they add a whole lot of chime and sparkle? Are they overly bright?

Thanks for the help!

-JP

• Members

Originally posted by Deadbeat Son

I'm about to pick up a 212 cab, and am trying to figure out what to load it with. I'll most likely be running a JMP 2204 with Yellowjackets into it.

I was thinking about just going with Greenbacks, but am curious about the Blues or the Weber equivalents. Do they add a whole lot of chime and sparkle? Are they overly bright?

Thanks for the help!

-JP

they are very nice - similarish to a greenback but smoother.

well worth it imo

• Members

Originally posted by Big Hair

they are very nice - similarish to a greenback but smoother.

well worth it imo

whoa, when did you get a Komet? have you always had one? and how's your studio comin? Any chance we can get clips of the Komet?

Weber makes some Blue clones, wonder how they are, could be your answer

• Members

well i did record some stuff in the studio with the komet but deleted it because i played it wrong :(

when I re-did it I had forgot to bring the komet so used my plexi :(

I will record some juicy komet clips very soon though - it sounds great

studio is 99.5% finished now :) (at last!)

• Members

Originally posted by Deadbeat Son

Thanks for the replies guys! As I mentioned in the thread, I'm considering the Webers as well. Now I'm wondering if the AlNiCo Blue Dogs are worth $150/pr more than the Ceramic models... Decisions decisions...

-JP

I have no clue how I missed you mentioning it... its what happens when you post late late at night I guess...

• Members

The celestion Alinco Blue is my favorite Celestion speaker.

I have one in my vox AC15TBX. The amp sounds great with the Alinco blue. It also sounds good through a 212 with G12H30's. I like the thump and edge the G12H30's give it for some things.

The weber Alinco blue's are suppose to be just as good if not better than the Celestion Alinco Blues.

For your marshall I would probably go with Greenbacks or G12H30's or maybe one of both:D

• Members

I love Webers, more than celestions. I dont find Alnicos to be better than ceramics (in fact I prefer ceramics for 12's, but I prefer alnico 10's). Its just a matter of preference. Having used the ceramic blue dog I can tell you its an excellent speaker, but I prefer either the Silver Bell alone, or the Silver Bell with the blue dog:)

• Members

Originally posted by Echoes

The Alnico Blue is great in a Vox type amp or for vintage tones...

don't try to do metal or palm mutes with them...

Is this because they fart or because they don't have enough low end? I've got a bandmaster that I've been thinking of getting a special vintagish cab for...

my ideas are either a 1x15 in a vintage styling as opposed to a woofy metal type thing, getting a 2x10 or something with greenbacks or blues... I want jazzy type stuff, so I think ultimately I might go with the 10's but we'll see

I might just do something I've been wanting to do for a long time, which is use a 2x10 cab with a 1x15

• Members

Originally posted by FWAxeIbanez

Is this because they fart or because they don't have enough low end? I've got a bandmaster that I've been thinking of getting a special vintagish cab for...

my ideas are either a 1x15 in a vintage styling as opposed to a woofy metal type thing, getting a 2x10 or something with greenbacks or blues... I want jazzy type stuff, so I think ultimately I might go with the 10's but we'll see

I might just do something I've been wanting to do for a long time, which is use a 2x10 cab
with
a 1x15

actually it is because the TOP end is so 'silky' that it just doesn't want to 'bite' with much intensity...it will do it but not really what ya get a Blue for....

Archived