Egnator's Rocktron Vendetta Head? Advice wanted.

JoshuaLogan

• Members

Hey, everyone. I'm new to the forum... just registered.

Anyways, I've been looking at the Rocktron Vendetta head and have heard many good things, but I would like to run the decision by all you gear junkies first.

I'm into a lot of different kinds of music: post-hardcore, screamo/grind, crust punk/thrash, indie, post-rock, dreamy ambient stuff, etc.

I am looking for a versatile tube head with a lot of tone. I need high gain for a lot of the more aggressive genres, but I am not into the buzzy toneless sound of mesa rectos. I like thick, hot, ballsy tones. there are other amps that offer this, but most of them have weak clean channels. The vendetta head has 4 channels, gain stacking there... 1 is super clean, 2 is slighty breaking up and overdriven, 3 is thick and crunchy overdrive perfect for rhythm, and 4 has more gain on top of that... hot leads and such. The power amp tubes are EL34's and that's the kind of distortion tone I like...

This amp was designed by bruce egnator, a boutique amp designer, and is supposed to be really nice. I can get one for about $650 at the moment, and they run $1200 new...

However, I have never played one before, and I don't have the chance to before buying. Do you think I should go for it?

If anyone owns it/have played it, I'd really appreciate it what you have to say about it. All of the reviews I've read have been praised it, but this is still a lot of money for me to spend so I want to make sure I'll be happy with it.

Thanks.

• Members

I had one briefly. I thought it was okay but nothing special. It didn't have as much usable gain as I wanted and I don't play metal. The amp might actually be too smooth kind of like a Carvin Legacy. The clean channel was really nice, Channel 2 was pretty useless, channel 3 was the best channel as I recall and channel 4 was good but needed more ass.

For the record, I sold it after a month and don't regret it. Currently I'm playing a JSX which is FAR superior to the Vendetta.

• Members

Originally posted by LithiumZero

Too smooth for me. I like a little more aggresive tone than I could get from it. Honestly a JSX would be perfect. It does everything pretty well from super clean to classic rock to heavier stuff. They can be found for around $750 used.

I played a JSX the other day and it was really alot better than I had expected it to be. I would have no problems getting a great tone out of that amp for Rock or Metal. The only Issue I have with it is the way it looks. It's just hideous....:freak: But then again My Brother thinks it looks good...He also still watches PRO Wrestling though.

• Members

I'm a huge Bruce Egnater fan and I use the Randall MTS stuff. Having said that I would probably choose the JSX over the Vendetta as well. The Vendetta is a great amp but it has some issues as far as the relative volumes between channels which makes it tricky to tame when switching between tones in a live situation. If I were really in the market for an amp head, I would look for a Randall RM100 on ebay or even consider a new Egnater MOD 50 head. The MOD 50 uses the dual channel modules so you would get four tones from it. It's around 2K new but it would be the last amp you would ever need. Ever. Listen to the video/sound clips HERE and you will see what I mean.

aeg017.jpg

• Members

Hey JoshuaLogan,

I just bought a used Rocktron Vendetta amp head with a head roadcase for $700.00. That's a totally killer deal!! My amp was modded by Bruce Egnater himself. He modded channel 4 to improve its tone. This is one versatile amp head. You can get the Fender clean, Vox, & Marshall tones out of this amp. I use mine with a Rocktron Replifex and have a DMC Ground Control v2.4 to switch the effects & channels via MIDI. It's a totally pro setup for me. Like any other amp that you are trying out, be sure to bring your own guitar and guitar cabinet to play it through before putting your money down on it. $650.00 is a good deal and be sure you get the 4 channel footswitch to go with it. Too bad you didn't get a free amp head roadcase like me.:cool:

Guitar George

Archived