Just found out what my speakers actually are (Irony content)

Mind Riot

• Members

I fired off an e-mail to Eminence to make sure that the speakers I have in my 4x12 are actually what the guy selling them to me said they were since I need a replacement for one of them that's blown. They're Legends, so they don't have a name on them or anything, just a serial number and I couldn't ID them on the Eminence site just from that.

The Eminence tech confirmed what the seller told me, that they're Legend M12's, and that they're discontinued. Groovy, now at least I know what I'm looking for. He also said they're an OEM product.

I asked him who they made them for, and said if he couldn't tell me then I'd understand. He tells me that they made them for Soldano. :thu:

I don't know specifically what amp or cab Soldano put them in, but this is cool for a couple of reasons.

I run a PODxt through a clean power amp into my 4x12 with these speakers. The funny thing is that I use Soldano models for all of my distorted sounds, the SLO model and the X88 preamp model. They've always sounded the best to me out of all the models in the PODxt, even with the Metal Shop pack.

So it's kind of poetic and ironic that I end up with a 4x12 cab that's loaded with speakers that are OEM for Soldano when I use the Soldano models almost exclusively in the PODxt. I had no idea these speakers were in any way related to Soldano when I bought the cab.

It's like I've inadvertantly built myself a "genuine virtual fake" Soldano rig, without even knowing it. :D Soldano model into clean power amp into 4x12 loaded with OEM Soldano speakers.

Does anyone else find this funny but me?

• Members
Originally posted by vrm

sounds like some tone karma came your way! hopefully your quest will be rewarded with the utmost uproximation of X-88!

My goodness that model is badass. I can only imagine how cool the real thing must be. It may just dethrone the SLO model as my distorted sound of choice. :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by Gaindrain

That's bizar
:)

And SOT: what clean power amp might that be? (Building a similar setup)

It's a Carvin DCM 150. I use it to power my studio monitors and take it out when I need to jam with the 4x12. It's a solid little amp, and keeps up fine with a hard hitting drummer, but I wouldn't mind having more power. This cab with these speakers can handle 480 watts, it would be nice to have a bigger amp that I wouldn't have to push as hard. But it works great, a solid workhorse. :thu:

Archived