What Marshall for straight up kickA$$ Tone???

zakkfaerum

• Members

Originally posted by adiohead

i really don't understand why people don't like marshall. they're amazing amps!

one of my favourite musicians, matt bellemy, has gone from using 6100/DSL's to diezel vh-4's and his tone has suffered dramatically.

People probably don't like Marshall because they were top dog for so long and people still look at them as the amp of the Hair Metal scene. Plus, Marshall has given up some of their quality for mass production. Still, they make some really good amps.

• Members
Originally posted by adiohead

i really don't understand why people don't like marshall. they're amazing amps!

one of my favourite musicians, matt bellemy, has gone from using 6100/DSL's to diezel vh-4's and his tone has suffered dramatically.

Because there are quite a few jackasses on here that are tone deaf. They also primarily play metal and dont understand concepts like dynamics. And hell, throw "phrasing" in there as well. :rolleyes::p

• Members
Originally posted by rememberduane

He didn't ask what current production Marshall.

And you said you like JCM900s. Those are collectively described as the worst Marshalls pre-JCM2000. And I have to say I agree. Buzz machines.
:rolleyes:

If you know how to dial in a 900 they can sound great. How many have you owned?

• Members

Pretty much anything made pre- JCM900 for me. I just never use the other channels. They have too much gain for a good rock crunch. Metal heads will disagree, but hey, jmho.

Master Volume:
JMP 2203
JCM800

Non-Master:
JTM 45
Super lead/bass

Any of those plus a good TS type OD will cover an ass load of ground.

Tim

• Members
Originally posted by rememberduane

He didn't ask what current production Marshall.

And you said you like JCM900s. Those are collectively described as the worst Marshalls pre-JCM2000. And I have to say I agree. Buzz machines.
:rolleyes:

Depends on the amp setup. The EL34 900s with proper bias is smooth.

• Members

Originally posted by thermionic geek

6l6's and 5881's are the same tube with minor mostly cosmetic differences.

The 5881 is the same type of valve as the 6L6 but with slightly higher output The bias would need to be set depending whether you are using 5881 or 6L6 as they need different bias levels. All work of this nature must be carried out by a qualified engineer.

swapping out the sovtek 5881's for SED =C= 6L6GC's was the best thing i ever did to that amp.

joe satriani copied me!

Archived