Ultra synth noob needs synth advice

Taylor704

• Members

Hey guys! 1st post in this past of the forum.

Basically, i've been really getting into general electronic music for a while, leaning towards the trance thing but not limited by much. Some of the string sounds are quite cool as well. Bands that use synths that I love include New Order, Delphic, Faithless, some Bloc Party, Depeche Mode, some Radiohead etc.

What sort of synth (preferably cheap) can I get to have a wideish array of synth tones to cover some of the bands above? Obviously some bands such as New Order have a massive array of synth tones but i'd like something with a nice amount of choice.

My two favourite songs involving synths are probably New Order - Blue Monday and Bloc Party - Flux.

I realise i've just made the most general synth post ever, but if anyone can make sense of it, your help would be much appreciated :wave:

• Members

What does "cheap" mean?

It looks like you play guitar, so "$200" is the wrong answer: synthesizers have a different spending curve. A $200 synth may be like a $50 guitar in some cases.

Do keep in mind that whatever you buy by itself is probably not going to be of a lot of use at all, unless you combine it with more gear. Blue Monday was several synths and a drum machine.

There are two roads to travel: the (virtual) analog and the sample-based. Briefly put: the first is for typical synth sounds (see http://www.synthmania.com/microkorg.htm ) , the last can also do realistic imitations of pianos, brass, strings, etc (and it may have synth sounds, too - just check http://www.synthmania.com/sr-jv80-04.htm ).

You'll most likely need sequencing and recording hard- and software to complete the whole shebang, so if you already have that, it's a plus.

• Members

My $.02

I hate software. Buy an old analogue mono synth off Craigslist. You can luck out cheap. Memorial Day weekend, I got a Crumar Orchestrator and Moog Rogue for $250 each. Software is cool for about 20 minutes. Real analogue hardware sounds better and it's limitations are far more inspiring than a buttload of code on a computer that does anything you want it to do but sounds like crap. Get a basic vintage mono synth with a bunch of knobs and sliders and multitrack the hell out of it. That's how Depeche Mode did it. That's how Stevie Wonder did it. It's still the best way says me.

• Members

They did it because they had to, not because they wanted it so much.

The more people you tell that they too can luck out cheap, the less opportunity they'll have to luck out cheap.

A monosynth is near useless for a beginner; it's something you get when you have other polyphonic infrastructure already in place. In the case of the aforementioned artists, generally a piano of sorts.

• Members

I agree with Yoozer, a mono synth is about useless for a player just starting out unless he is trying to learn the basics of subtractive synthesizers. For MUSIC, you need a polyphonic synth. Buying "cheap" usually means sounding cheap. If you can find a used poly synth that a player outgrew or bought a much more expensive synth and wants to move his old gear out the door, you will be better off. Hardware provides instantaneous satisfaction, music software does not.

Mike T.

• Members

I'd go to the nearest Guitar Center or Best Buy and try their stuff out. You can hang out for hours and get a feel for the instruments on display. They'll probably have Roland Gaia there, which is a heckuva lot of synth for $700. Even if you decide not to buy there, you'll still learn a lot about how a synthesizer works. I learned synthesis by hanging out in a music store and experimenting with their Arps for hours at a time.

• Members

I just don't get some of you guys.

In this thread the names 'craigslist' , 'GC' , & 'Best Buy' have been mentioned,

as have questions/suggestions about how much $$$ to spend (although that is forgivable!)

Taylor clearly states in his sig. that he's from the UK - we don't have such places over here. (or $$$ !!!)

I know you're trying to be helpful, but at least consider that there is a world outside of the US? :lol:

Having said all of that :thu:, I would suggest that Korg's M50 would cover many, if not all,

of the bases the OP is looking for (it does for me, anyway!).

For such a powerful synth at a (relatively) cheap cost, it would seem to fit the bill.

There are second-hand ones starting to appear on ebay now for good prices.

• Members

by Awakened Yeti:

i agree that dedicated hardware synths always sound better than pure software, but that statement is silly as hell

Baloney. Turn a hardware synth on and play it, sounds come out immediately. Buy music software for your computer and prepare to install it. Not immediate. So your point is? :rolleyes:

by jpscoey:

I just don't get some of you guys.

In this thread the names 'craigslist' , 'GC' , & 'Best Buy' have been mentioned,

as have questions/suggestions about how much $$$ to spend (although that is forgivable!)

Taylor clearly states in his sig. that he's from the UK - we don't have such places over here. (or $$$ !!!)

I know you're trying to be helpful, but at least consider that there is a world outside of the US?

He's not missing very much. And those of us that live in the USA certainly know there is a world outside of the US. We are not all elitists, Capitalists, or employed. Welcome to 21st century life in America. We could use some help in taking the time to read the sig to find out where someone is from huh? :)

Mike T.

• Members

"He's not missing very much...

And those of us that live in the USA certainly know there is a world outside of the US....

We could use some help in taking the time to read the sig to find out where someone is from huh?
:)

Mike T.

Getcha Mike :)

I wasn't trying to be offensive to the guys or anything,

it's just that sometimes people don't even bother to say where they're from, & just assume everyone is from the US.

This probably isn't apparent to most folks, as most on this forum ARE from the US!!!

But there are those of us out there who are not!

Why isn't it compulsary to put your country of location before you're allowed to post?

At least that way we'd all be clear (assuming folks could be bothered to read it in the first place :facepalm:)

• Members

I'll try to help our foreign friends.

My point proved in one arrogant, condescending (& not in the slightest funny) post.

Where are you from Bro? - it's not in your sig.

Outer Mongolia, maybe???

• Members

...You do know how to find used gear in your country, right?....

even if they didn't pick up on the country of origin?

I'm sorry to take you up on this - but you do come across as condescending on this,

which, in its own way makes you look not only ignorant, but a smart-ass too.

Of course people aren't daft - each country has it's own 'second-hand' sources.

To exclusively quote only stores that are available in your own country, rather than give generic advice,

is inconsiderate to the people from around the globe who are looking for honest opinions.

I've tried to make this point - but it doesn't seem to be getting through, does it?

(Does that make me a bad communicator, or you a bad listener?)

This is a worldwide forum - not exclusively American.

PS: you still haven't put on your sig. where you are actually from - although we can probably guess.

• Members

My point proved in one arrogant, condescending (& not in the slightest funny) post.

It was funny as hell and made his point very clear. You will find abundant evidence everywhere if are searching for proof that people on Internet forums don't care where fellow posters are from. Why? Because it isn't as important as you pretend. You have stores with new and used gear, and have avenues for advertising items for sale. I'm positive the original poster knows of GC and Craigslist and can adapt the advice to fit his own situation.

Have a nail-crunching good time if you want to step on your own toes. But don't use other people's feet in the process.

• Members

Doctor Tooth is fighting with himself! Mayhem! Electric!

:D

Roland sh-201 looks like a good beginner's synth to me.

I think it's best to start with a synth that has a lot of knobs. Otherwise I would recommend something (very cheap) like the Alesis Micron.

• Members

This thread is now a muppet fight! Who would have thought?

I think I have to agree that the soft synth suggestion would be more recommended in the OPs case. I think it's best to learn first how to put a song together using a DAW and soft synths, than to work on individual sounds. Once the OP has done some songs in the box, and he wants to start creating his own sounds instead of using/tweaking presets, then knobby synths would keep adding on the experience. I've seen some young people do things this way and they've become quite good at it. While people who only focused on sounds and programming, didn't get a whole lot done in terms of achieving something.

• Members

The problem with the soft synths is the whole laptop thing on stage with a band.

This would be my criteria for going hardware or software. Do you plan to play out, on stage, with a band? Or are you planning to stay at home and work on your own productions?

The software route is cheaper. A lot of modern synthpop bands *do* use a lot of software; it's not like you have to go out and buy an ancient Roland Jupiter 8 to do synthpop. Software works easier with DAWs. If you are wanting to record music at home, a DAW, some software (free software even works), and a controller will get you far.

However, the laptop route just isn't so great live. Sure, I've seen some bands do it -- but you are taking more crap with you (one keyboard vs. a laptop, an interface, and a controller), it's more likely to crash, it's more fragile, and the controllers just aren't as inviting. If you were planning to play out live with a band, I'd look for some of the first-generation VAs (eg an older Access Virus, Nord Lead, JP8000, etc.) first. They are pretty reasonably priced these days. Of course, these type of synths don't do realistic type sounds at all, so another question would be whether or not the OP *only* wanted to do synthpop-type stuff...

• Members

please don't hate on the laptops .. :lol: they come with kensignton cable locks. use them. people perform on them live all the time..

if you're only doing one duty, get a keyboard. if you're playing back samples, synths and backing tracks, get laptop.. the right tool for the job..

• Members

I suggested soft synths because the OP sounded like he wants to get his feet wet first and work on songs that are based on the influences he mentioned. He doesn't mention live playing anywhere and he doesn't mention this is for a band... it seems like it's for his own musical experiments.

But yeah if he does play live then I'd go hardware, even though there's some people out there who are going software these days even for live concerts.

• Members

I think software instruments are a great option. They're inexpensive, and 99.9% of the general public couldn't tell the difference between a soft synth and a hardware synth. And in a blind listening test, many of the people on this forum (including me) probably couldn't either.

I think most reasonably intelligent people could recognize any potential "risks" with using a laptop live. But I tell you, if my work situation changes and I start gigging again, I will either 1) use softsynths ONLY on my Macbook with a couple of lightweight controllers, or 2) Get a Yamaha M06 and a Gaia (gobs of sounds in lightweight, inexpensive boards).

Maybe I am just getting up in years but I have zero interest in schlepping around heavy, expensive keyboards to gigs, unless I have roadies and/or I am opening for the Rolling Stones. And vintage gear? That makes no sense to me at all, but for those that get off on it, knock yourselves out. :)

Archived