Recommend a Combo

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

Small is good, its replacing my beloved little marshall valvestate 30... my first amp is dying. 1x12 is perfect, its primarily for practicing volumes, getting up and over a drummer isn't an issue.

I don't mind if its tube or solidstate, but if its solidstate I don't really want it to be one of those modellers or "tube fakers" you know? I plan on using this for practicing jazz, since the only time I really do is in front of my computer to my Jamey Aebersold backing tracks, hahaha... anyway, thats the reason I'm not sure if I want tube or solidstate, because call me crazy, but I really like SS cleans for jazz...

I would prefer to have it get heavy at least with a boost, because my main bands are heavy and I would like to practice that stuff with it.. I also want it to take pedals well, a loop is a plus, but not a deal breaker.

-I'm considering those Music Man heads I keep hearing about, the hybrid amps, but I'm not familiar with model numbers.

-I'd like to look into Ampeg as well, but I only really know about the reverb rocket and stuff, other models I'm clueless on

-The newer Traynor combos have my interest pique'd, but are they jazz worthy???

-Engl Thunder and Screamer also have my interest pique'd but I really didn't want to spend that much... I really want to keep it as close to 400-500 dollars as possible with up to 800 as a possibility

You guys rock at finding things I forgot about, am I missing some wonder amp? I have had a lot of fun lately with the old and semi obscure stuff...

• Members

I have to say that, although it takes a boost to get heavy, I am loving my VHT Super Thirty. 1x12, light, covers blues, rock, pop and Jazz without any help, great reverb, and takes pedals really well, and is a loud ass 30 watts. More rock than an AC30 but just as chimey, it is a tone machine for days.

I would also look into the Pittbull 45, and some of the Rivera combos - the Clubster and the Chubbster.

There aren't a lot of high gain combos that I am aware of - other than the 5150 (6505) combo, which, IMHO sounds better than the head (and has reverb!), or XXX combo. But that's a 2x12 I believe.

• Members

XXX does come in a 1x12, and I think it sounds a million times better than the head... My buddy owns a 1x12 and the 2x12 version, and if the head could make those sounds I'd be all over it...

How much could I expect to pay for the super 30? I am slightly considering going all out, but in the interest of timeframe, I would prefer to get something close to 500 dollars or so... I could probably stretch it to 800, but that would be the max. If I can manage to wait till around christmas time, the Engl or one of those Rivera's would be first choice... Unless that VHT is a hell of a deal...

What do used Rivera combos go for these days? Time to fire up ebay I guess...

Also, are all of the Tech 21 mostly budget oriented? Or do they have some genuinely neat tones? Forgive my ignorance, I've only untill recently been aware of these as viable solutions

• Members

Oh yeah, some of the cheaper Mesa offerings got my attention too...

Dc-5, among others... any have a standout jazzy clean? I actually really liked the cleans on my 3ch Dual recto, so use that as a basis

I would love a mark combo, but I would be giving preference to gain in that one, and If I really gotta have a good heavy practice tone I'll bring in the 2x12 and the attenuator.

• Members

I hate posting three times in a row, but there is a Mesa Studio .22 about 5 hours away for 400 dollars... Is this something to jump at? Is this gonna get me where I wanna be?

Its not the 22+ and it doesn't have the graphic EQ

400 dollars plus gas for potentially an all day drive, just over 300 miles... 400 bucks sounds way worth it, but the gas money could push it over

picture looks like good condition

I think this might be my answer, any naysayers?

• Members

hey man, i have the studio22+..without the graphic

i mostly play hard-rock/metal but this amp has probably the most beautiful clean i have ever heard... but to it doesn't sound half as good without the graphic eq.. so i put a boss ge-7 in loop and that's it, perfect... the clean channel starts to break up at some point, but if your guitar has lower-output pup's and you put some lower-gain tube in the preamp i guess you could have clean at all levels.. it also depends on "volume" level which is sort of a gain/volume control..

sorry i couldn't help some more...

• Members

Originally posted by warplanegrey

traynor yvc50 blue

mesa f50 combo

ampeg rocketreverb

How much are the rocketreverbs going for? These are all tube aren't they? I have heard jazz guys dig the ampeg "reverb" series, so I'll keep an eye out for them, but which ones were the hybrid amps?

• Members

Originally posted by Mrmot

hey man, i have the studio22+..without the graphic

i mostly play hard-rock/metal but this amp has probably the most beautiful clean i have ever heard... but to it doesn't sound half as good without the graphic eq.. so i put a boss ge-7 in loop and that's it, perfect... the clean channel starts to break up at some point, but if your guitar has lower-output pup's and you put some lower-gain tube in the preamp i guess you could have clean at all levels.. it also depends on "volume" level which is sort of a gain/volume control..

sorry i couldn't help some more...

is 400 dollars a good price? for a non + model with no graphic eq?

what are the differences between the + model and the regular .22? can it be modded to + specs?

• Members

Originally posted by warplanegrey

i live in canada, so the ampeg's are more expensive here. call your local guitar centre, or see if mucians friend has them.

the yorkvilles, however, are much cheaper here. :]

scott.

Oh, hahaha, no I meant used... I forgot they were still being made, or reissued or whatever it is. Thanks man, I'll bring up musicians friend right now

• Members

Originally posted by FWAxeIbanez

is 400 dollars a good price? for a non + model with no graphic eq?

what are the differences between the + model and the regular .22? can it be modded to + specs?

i dunno man, really, I'm from Croatia..

the difference between "+" and non"+" is that the "+" has the "lead master", volume control for lead channel.. i read on the reviews page that the mod can be done...

• Members

Originally posted by Mrmot

i dunno man, really, I'm from Croatia..

the difference between "+" and non"+" is that the "+" has the "lead master", volume control for lead channel.. i read on the reviews page that the mod can be done...

right on... I feel like 400 is a good price, I think I might jump on this, can anybody in america comment?

• Members

Did you jump on the Mesa??

I just got a mint condition Mesa Subway Rocket with a Weber Chicago speaker in it, and a 1x12 cab with an Eminence Tonker, man this little thing simply rocks and screams with inspiration! This thing simply humiliates my Traynor and my Vox and my Fender. I cant imagine the Mesa 22 would be a let down...... with the right speakers, I think these Mesa's are the best sounding used amps I've ever played....

• Members

Originally posted by Hulston Prickle

I know it's a "modeller", but word on the street is that jazz guys have started using Roland Cube 60s at gigs if you want to go SS.

I could see that actually... hmmm, I'm waiting on an e-mail from the dude with the .22 combo tho, I'd love to have a mesa again. We are supposed to meet up tomorrow and he stopped responding like 2 days ago, I hope its still on

shoot, its too bad you can't get any gain on it whatsoever or else I'd go jazz all the way and get a polytone

the idea has crossed my mind :idea::love:

• Members

Originally posted by phatster

Thats a reasonable price on the messa.....I would consider the OLD traynors' personally.Still a bargain!!

which old traynors are worth playing and come in a combo? I'm kinda on eggshells with traynor's because I hear some of them are real stinkers. I have a yba-1 that I love to death

Archived