At the Gates' Amps?

Sonnilon

• Members

Originally posted by Megadeth7684

Oh and for the record, that Peavey Supreme 160 is an awesome amp, and it totally nails that tone, even without the pedals. I had one a while ago, it was only $150.

I checked out the Peavey Supreme, and it actually looks very similar to my Peavey XXL. Since I also have a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, I guess I should be able to get a pretty similar tone with the gear I have already! :D

• Members

Originally posted by Sonnilon

I checked out the Peavey Supreme, and it actually looks very similar to my Peavey XXL. Since I also have a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, I guess I should be able to get a pretty similar tone with the gear I have already!
:D

I actually don't like the XXL at all, but I thought there was one tone that amp did pretty well...At The Gates.

• Members

fredrick nordstrom produced that, so there more studio magic going on than you will EVER hear on any other record. that guy is amazing at making bands sound impossibly good to the point of extreme overproduction.

anyways, he uses engl's almost exclusively now in his studio. while he might not have used them on this CD he's been using them on the majority of his albums since 2000 on.

• Members

Originally posted by jshaft37

fredrick nordstrom produced that, so there more studio magic going on than you will EVER hear on any other record. that guy is amazing at making bands sound impossibly good to the point of extreme overproduction.

anyways, he uses engl's almost exclusively now in his studio. while he might not have used them on this CD he's been using them on the majority of his albums since 2000 on.

That album is not an Engl, at all. It lists the equipment in the cd booklet, exactly what I posted. The guitars were (to my knowledge) an Ibanez Maxxis with EMG81's for Anders and an ESP KH-2 with EMG81's for Martin.

EDIT: And Nordstrom uses the 5150 more than his Savage 120, but those are his two main amps. He also has a Randall RH200 that he uses from time to time as well.

• Members

Originally posted by Megadeth7684

That album is not an Engl, at all. It lists the equipment in the cd booklet, exactly what I posted. The guitars were (to my knowledge) an Ibanez Maxxis with EMG81's for Anders and an ESP KH-2 with EMG81's for Martin.

EDIT: And Nordstrom uses the 5150 more than his Savage 120, but those are his two main amps. He also has a Randall RH200 that he uses from time to time as well.

i know he didnt use engl on that CD, i even said that he DIDNT use them on that CD, but he DOES use them now. to my knowledge, i dont think that engls were around in 1996.

• Members

Originally posted by jshaft37

i know he didnt use engl on that CD, i even said that he DIDNT use them on that CD, but he DOES use them now. to my knowledge, i dont think that engls were around in 1996.

They started way before then.

• 5 years later...
  • Members

It should say something about the tone on this album considering that I decided to look for information on it even now (realizing this is a long dead thread).

I could definitely believe that it was any range of Marshall or Peavey amps. It sounds almost like a tubescreamer pushing at least a Marshall Valvestate, but an EMG-81 into the front of a Marshall can get a similar buzziness.

Studio engineering can do wonders, but, if there is no good source material, the end result won't be good. The engineer had something to work with there that was able to get an excellent end result for that album's guitar tones.

Being that it is 2012 now, I wonder if an older Marshall JCM 900 SLX, Peavy 5150 II, or 6505 would get pretty close to that recorded tone.

• Members

I'm sorry to say that I have no idea what amps they used, but God Damn is that a good album. Really wayyyyy ahead of their time. Every time I think about the production I remind myself and friends that it came out in 1994. '94! And now, almost TWO DECADES later, every metal album sounds like that. One of my all time favorite albums. Period.

• Members

I'm sorry to say that I have no idea what amps they used, but God Damn is that a good album. Really wayyyyy ahead of their time. Every time I think about the production I remind myself and friends that it came out in 1994. '94! And now, almost TWO DECADES later, every metal album sounds like that. One of my all time favorite albums. Period.

Actually it came out in very late 1995.

They were playing ENGL Powerballs at their shows last year, and it sounded like muddy ass. No cut at all.

• Members

If anyone is interested in At The Gates' recording gear on other albums, I asked Anders what the specific gear was. Here was his response:

"The red in the sky...." was recorded with:

BOSS HEAVY METAL PEDAL

VESTER GUITAR w/ EMG 81

MESA BOOGIE 1*12" COMBO (Can't remember the model)

"With fear.......":

Same as Gardens Of Grief I guess.

"Terminal.....":

Ibanez Maxxas

Metal Zone thru PEAVEY SUPREME clean channel ( I think) - Could have been a MARSHALL JCM 900?

Apart from this info, I don't know since I can't remember. I have never been a big guy on tech issues.

My only concern is if it sounds alrite.

And he guessed that Gardens of Grief was recorded with a Peavey Bandit and Boss HM-2, as was the Sunlight Studios norm at the time.

• Members

Indeed, everytime I listen to SOTS I can't believe it's a bunch of {censored}ty amps and pedals with a homemade cab. But then again it's probably like death and early In Flames with their Marshall 8100, or any other band. (studio magic)

It might seem surprising but you're wrong about your 8100 assessment. There's a reason those things are still being used to record with. It's not just "studio magic" - given the choice between a number of amps many engineers (in the more brutal music styles) would still pick that particular amp as one of the layers because they actually just sound really good in their specific way. Layered with a recto for example it's pretty damned amazing.

And FWIW, I do love the Slaughter of the Soul guitar tone and overall production. It's filthy, it crushes, and it was recorded with subjectively {censored} gear and people using their ears. Its the classic brutal album that says "maybe you don't need to lay out 4K for a Herbert to record a classic".

All that being said I'd still get a 6505 before an 8100 or a supreme and a HM-2, because it's just more of that whole sound at once. And the SotS album bores me to tears after the first three or four songs 'cause there's just not enough variety :)

• Members

Lol just re-affirming...

I wish I caught them on their reunion tour...
:mad:

You missed nothing! I loved them when I saw them in the 90s, punchy and heavy as {censored}. The reunion show I caught, they sounded quite flabby and didn't play it as technically proficient as they did in the 90s. It's like they got slower and flabbier. Did not like. Kinda wish they'd left it alone so their awesomeness had remained.

• Members

You missed nothing! I loved them when I saw them in the 90s, punchy and heavy as {censored}. The reunion show I caught, they sounded quite flabby and didn't play it as technically proficient as they did in the 90s. It's like they got slower and flabbier. Did not like. Kinda wish they'd left it alone so their awesomeness had remained.

That's a damn shame - they were incredible at Graspop 2008, I was really happy to have caught them because I'd never seen them live before.

• Members

doesnt matter! still would have loved to hear Need and Blinded by Fear live!

Archived