At the Gates' Amps?

Sonnilon

• Members

What you gotta bear in mind that like it or not, the individual tone on SOTS is {censored}!!! It really is. Its the layering, studio techniques and mastering that make that record sound absolutely {censored}ing awesome.

I would advise you go get a peavey 5150. You will be more than happy I promise!

Jon

• Members

Originally posted by satannica

What you gotta bear in mind that like it or not, the individual tone on SOTS is {censored}!!! It really is. Its the layering, studio techniques and mastering that make that record sound absolutely {censored}ing awesome.

I would advise you go get a peavey 5150. You will be more than happy I promise!

Jon

Tone is subjective, and personally I love the tone on Slaughter of the Soul. People get on my ass all the time on here for liking unconventional tones, but people have to remember that tone is a very personal thing. I think Burzum had some of the best tone I've ever heard on Det Som Engang Var even though most people would prefer, say, Mark Knopfler's tone (which is by far the weakest, {censored}tiest tone I can possibly imagine). Whether a tone is good or not is up to the listener; tone is not measurable.

• Members

Originally posted by OneArmedScissors

Do you guys really think it sounds that great? I just don't get it.
:confused:

I think its just one of those albums where the songwriting totally outweighs the production! Albums like that have a knack of automatically "sounding good".

I still stand by its an excellent album by an excellent band, but the guitar sound is still {censored}e.

Jon

• Members

Originally posted by Sonnilon

Tone is subjective, and personally I love the tone on Slaughter of the Soul. People get on my ass all the time on here for liking unconventional tones, but people have to remember that tone is a very personal thing. I think Burzum had some of the best tone I've ever heard on Det Som Engang Var even though most people would prefer, say, Mark Knopfler's tone (which is by far the weakest, {censored}tiest tone I can possibly imagine). Whether a tone is good or not is up to the listener; tone is not measurable.

Agree for the most part!

• Members

I think its just one of those albums where the songwriting totally outweighs the production! Albums like that have a knack of automatically "sounding good".

That's not what I'm talking about, but that's the idea I get from people who say it sounds good. There was a thread a while back where where a guy was asking for metal CDs with good production to set up his nice speakers with. Some people said Slaughter Of The Soul, and I was just like, no, that is just not good for that. Then someone was trying to tell me how it was a definitive melodic death metal CD, as if that somehow automatically meant it had amazing production and was good as a reference for setting up expensive equipment. :freak:

Personally, I think the production isn't so hot, and I really don't see how it could stand to stick out. It's not so god awful that you remember it, but it just doesn't seem to be anything special, either. :confused:

• Members

Well make no mistake, it is a difinitive death metal CD! Its definately up there with the greats that's for damn sure.

Actually, part of my job used to be setting up reference monitors and setting up my own. Best CD to set up for reference? Linkin Park's first CD. Its the ONLY reason I own a copy. Becuase the production is superbly clean and it has the full gammut of what could be used on a metal CD, from guitars - drums - occasional screams.

Don't get me wrong, I think Linkin Park suck monkey balls in a big way, but for setting up reference monitors - best thing you can use!

Jon

• Members

Well make no mistake, it is a difinitive death metal CD! Its definately up there with the greats that's for damn sure.

Actually, part of my job used to be setting up reference monitors and setting up my own. Best CD to set up for reference? Linkin Park's first CD. Its the ONLY reason I own a copy. Becuase the production is superbly clean and it has the full gammut of what could be used on a metal CD, from guitars - drums - occasional screams.

Don't get me wrong, I think Linkin Park suck monkey balls in a big way, but for setting up reference monitors - best thing you can use!

Jon

Makes sense, really, all that pop metal stuff always has awesome production.

I agree that At the Gates are definitely one of the definitive death metal bands too, by the way.

• Members

Originally posted by The Idiot

The guy uses a 5150 now so that will tell you something.

Yeah, Bjorler used 5150IIs for awhile in The Haunted. Now I believe they use Kranks.

I think I remember him saying that he would use two 5150IIs on one stereo cab. He then dialed in each head differently.

• Members

Originally posted by TomLionheart

ENGLS

Actually, I just took a peek at their website and it looks like they are still using the 5150IIs live, they are sitting in the backline in all the photos. The most current photo I found though was from 2005 though.

Hmmmm...

• Members

Originally posted by Megadeth7684

I do. Tone and production are perfect for that style of music. One of the best metal albums ever.

:thu: i agree. i'm not even a fan of death metal (melodic?) but i love listening to this record. it sounds amazing. it is the next generation reign in blood.

why didn't you keep the amp?

• Members

Originally posted by drs448

:thu:
i agree. i'm not even a fan of death metal (melodic?) but i love listening to this record. it sounds amazing. it is the next generation reign in blood.

why didn't you keep the amp?

It was cool, but I sold it off to fund some other gear since I like my 5150 more.

Archived