Pulling the trigger on Kurzy PC3.... Should I?

Thorhead

• Members

Well, I have been pondering for past couple of months (in the sonikmatter forum) if I should buy the PC3 for my basic band board. It is pretty good upgrade for my Fantom/srx-06 really. Sounds better in pretty much every category (leave brass) to be honest and is also very playable.

Should I pull the trigger on this thing or still consider something else.

Yes this is a topic where I want to only hear good reviews and stuff to be sure that I make the right purchase :facepalm:

Does it keep your gas down too? Cause I have been horribly gassy lately:facepalm:

I mainly play the heavier stuff, so perhaps I should consider korg, but somehow I dont like the korgs so much ... Though the hapsicord is better.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have one and its the best sounding Rompler type of synth I have ever used (best VA too). Sounds fantastic through a PA, seems very reliable. I'd hold out for the PC3K though if you can wait until Sept/Oct and can afford the extra $$$ (giving you the sampling addition).

• Members

I have one and its the best sounding Rompler type of synth I have ever used (best VA too). Sounds fantastic through a PA, seems very reliable. I'd hold out for the PC3K though if you can wait until Sept/Oct and can afford the extra $$$ (giving you the sampling addition).

I dont really have any samples, though I do sample the roland hapsicord in it for sure. But this doesnt really warrant the extra 1000 price tag soo....

• Members

This is a great sounding board and probably for sound design the best in many respects. There are some known bugs. I'm waiting on the K to see what street prices do but either way I think you'll be happy.

You KNOW I'm gonna say: DO IT FAGGOT
:cop:

:facepalm:

• Members

I bought a PC361 three weeks ago and have been happy with my purchase. It sounds great and has excellent controller possibilities. It is not the easiest board to use (you must read the manual) but it can do pretty much anything you can expect from a synth. It seems to have killed my gas completely, I don't need or even want another synth anymore.

However, I've had some little problems with it. When I got it, there was a loose screw inside and it felt like something inside was moving when I tilted the synth. I didn't feel like sending my brand new instrument back immediately, so I opened it to see what was wrong (and possibly also voided my warranty).

The power supply was connected to the case with only one screw, so it was moving a bit. So I used the loose screw to connect it more securely, reassembled the instrument and had no more problems. Not until the display contrast knob broke. It was annoying, whenever I touched the knob the display could go completely blank and couldn't get it back to readable again.

Had to open the PC361 again and get the knob out (it was almost loose). I can't adjust the contrast anymore, but luckily the contrast is ok. I'm just waiting for the brightness knob to break next...

However, the PC361 does feel very solidly built otherwise. Maybe even too solid, because it is so heavy. I don't have a car, so I ride my bike to band rehearsals and get some extra exercise from carrying a 14 kg instrument with me. Luckily I don't have the 88 key version :lol:

• Members

I don't have a car, so I ride my bike to band rehearsals and get some extra exercise from carrying a 14 kg instrument with me. Luckily I don't have the 88 key version
:lol:

Slightly OT, but you carry the 14kg on your bike/back? Impressing! What gigbag are you using that has shoulder straps cause I am looking in getting one to cary on the back even though I fear ruining my back carrying a KB on the back...but happy to hear it is feasible...

And I agree on the build quality regarding the PC3! Definitively a GAS worthy board until I have the money...

• Members

Slightly OT, but you carry the 14kg on your bike/back? Impressing! What gigbag are you using that has shoulder straps cause I am looking in getting one to cary on the back even though I fear ruining my back carrying a KB on the back...but happy to hear it is feasible...

It is possible but not too comfortable :) I'm using a standard keyboard bag from www.thomann.de. Not the best solution, a backpack-style gigbag would be better but I haven't come across any. Anyway, I can rest the bag on the rear rack of my bike so it takes some weight off my back. But it's still somewhat awkward. I have to be careful when I'm passing pedestrians so I don't knock them out with my bag.

But whenever I'm cycling with my PC361 I miss the Korg X50 that I used to have...at 4.5 kg it was light as a feather and easy to carry. Otherwise I do prefer the Kurz. :)

• Members

It is possible but not too comfortable
:)
I'm using a standard keyboard bag from
www.thomann.de
. Not the best solution, a backpack-style gigbag would be better but I haven't come across any.)

I have two of those, one for my Ne3-73 and one for my NL2x. You might want to check the dimensions, maybe your kurz will fit in the 73-key bag.

• Members

To the OP:

I have had a PC3X since March, 2008 (one of the first 65 in the US), and have liked it well enough to buy a PC3 eleven months later. As others have mentioned, VAST is deep to program, but the factory sounds can also be modified slightly without a deep knowledge of VAST. Also, there are a lot of sound files on the SonikMatter forum that have been posted by users.

The PC3 is my main gigging board (except for when I get lazy and only carry my 18.5 pound Nord Electro 3). The two boards complement each other nicely. Some patches cut through nicely with the band(s), others work well for solo work. There are even a few on there just for the times that you want to solo over the top of the lead guitarist with the Marshall stack.

• Members

The kurzweil is in many respects the best board I have. I do have the k2661 with sampling. The only thing that has kept me from the pc3 are some of the limitations with putting in aiff or wav etc and the lack of K series sounds being interchangeable. But it is by all measures a superior sounding board, with more flexibility, a software editor and improved VAST. I'm hoping for a rack version so that I can add it to the K. Many have asked for one and hopefully they will make a limited run.

To Evildragon. I know you didn't mean it seriously, and I don't mean to act as thought or word police. I don't mean to be political either but as a gay person trust me it is usually an ugly word that often times you hear just walking down the street. We put up with enough sh*t day in and day out just for being, it sucks to visit music forums sharing in the synthesis we all love and to read put downs in intent or just sarcastic language of gay people. And really it gets tiresome having to be the person who says "hey totally uncool really" but I would more bothered if I said nothing.

There I've said my peace and that is all I'm gonna say. Everyone please carry on.. sorry about being a harpie in this instance. I'm usually really F'in fun and can take a joke.

Archived