Nevermore/Jeff Loomis (best ever) deserves more credit

Wizard7

• Members

Originally posted by fistertain

I think saying he is just "good" is an understatement. We all have opinions and all, but I find it hard to believe you can sit there listen to it and call him simply "good." C'mon, he's at least "pretty damned good" to "quite awesome." I'm not saying he's anywhere near the innovator Yngwie was, but I think it's pretty clear that not only could he play anything Yngwie could, he could top it and play it cleaner and with better phrasing to boot. Not knocking Yngwie, he opened a lot of doors for lead guitar and he came from a time when it was hard to believe anyone could top Van Halen's lead guitar, but times change and shredders get better ... technique-wise anyway.

I like Loomis and i think he rips. I just don't like the songs they write and the singer did get old really fast for me. BUT, when you say he plays cleaner than Yngwie, well like Kage said, you're nuts!

If you think Loomis plays cleaner why does he have to use a TON more gain than Yngwie ever uses? PLUS, Yngwie uses single coil pickups and a scalloped fretboard and old 70's marshalls that don't have half the gain that a Recto or Krank has. PLUS, Yngwie is the only guitar player when he plays live so you're going to hear him more clearly than if there was a rhythm player. I mean, come on, it's not even close and i can't believe some of you are actually comparing Loomis to Yngwie from this standpoint. Loomis would be the first one to tell you to shut up!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah saying Lomis is a cleaner player than Yngwie is a stretch. I just think he can hang with him.

I do think Loomis has more tricks up his sleeve arsenal wise.

But take the 2 players, put them in front of 10 different styles of guitar, amps, styles and axes and I think Loomis would be the most consistent out of the 2.

Yngwie does one thing better than Loomis. He can play cleaner and perhaps a little faster.

But Yngwie peaked a long long long time ago. And Loomis is still young. Remember..Loomis was a vurtuoso too.

He was flown in by Megadeth by Mustaine to audition when he was like 17! Mega Dave was into his heroin then and he was like...You are good enough..But too young!

• Members

Originally posted by STEEL KAGE

Youll just have to take his word for it( and mine too for that matter) Maybe you should get out more as well...

Seriously, Loomis isnt a bad player, he just isnt the God that you make him out to be...

Regarding this matter, your word doesn't mean {censored} to me. As far as getting out more, maybe you should get out of the 80s, you geezer.

I don't worship any God, let alone a mortal man such as Jeff Loomis. Show me a post where my adulation was so strong that I elevate Loomis to "Godlike" status. I just like his playing and thats it. Got that straight, son?

• Members

if anything, usually more gain would cover up one's sloppy playing, but in Loomis' case I think you would really see just how accurate his picking was if there wasn't so much gain muddling things up.

And i wonder how many people would pick up Yngwies guitar and plug into his rig and {censored} thier pants because it's not easy at all to play on.

Recognize bitches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzW8fi8z5C8

• Members

if anything, usually more gain would cover up one's sloppy playing, but in Loomis' case I think you would really see just how accurate his picking was if there wasn't so much gain muddling things up.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=search_videos&search_sort=relevance&search_query=+Jeff+Loomis&search=Search

You don;t know anything IMO. He is a flawless player...You know he does stuff on Baritone and 7 strings that normal shredders can do on a six string right?

• Members

Originally posted by danyeo

And i wonder how many people would pick up Yngwies guitar and plug into his rig and {censored} thier pants because it's not easy at all to play on.

Recognize bitches.

But his guitars are designed to go faster. Almost a cheat. He uses gain and a boost, scalloped frets. Its not like he is playing a steel strung acoustic guitars.

Scalopped frets are a bitch to learn but once you master it you dont have to use as much effort finger wise.

• Members
Originally posted by thegame

Regarding this matter, your word doesn't mean {censored} to me. As far as getting out more, maybe you should get out of the 80s, you geezer.

I don't worship any God, let alone a mortal man such as Jeff Loomis. Show me a post where my adulation was so strong that I elevate Loomis to "Godlike" status. I just like his playing and thats it. Got that straight, son?

Looks Like a hit a nerve;) :D Could you be anymore Transparent? What does the 80's have to do with anything? Because I think YJM and Gilbert are much better than Loomis, thats the best you can do? Call me a geezer? LMAO!!! Boy are you a douche!!!

AS far as the God thing, it was a figure of speech, get over it Nancy. Son:rolleyes: Surely you can do better than that you cowardly little Fanbitch?

If you like his playing , then enjoy it without talking stupid {censored} about legendary players. Im not a fan of Loomis at all but you dont see me knocking him , do you?

• Members

Originally posted by danyeo

Recognize bitches.

This video is a perfect example of how one-dimensional he is.

lets hear him write some metal riffs, use a 7 string guitar, or play a solo that isnt demonstrating how fast he can play for once.

This is a real player right here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V42BqMg9kZ0

When his solo album comes out, i bet a lot of you will be changing your opinions on him. Besides, you even said you have 1 Nevermore CD, TGE, and that's not their best, nor is it a fair way to form an opinion on him.

• Members

Originally posted by thefyn

But his guitars are designed to go faster. Almost a cheat. He uses gain and a boost, scalloped frets. Its not like he is playing a steel strung acoustic guitars.

Scalopped frets are a bitch to learn but once you master it you dont have to use as much effort finger wise.

So you have mastered playing on one of those necks? Clips? Vibrato is easier but IMHO that's about it. And IMHO Fender strats are harder to play than Ibanez, Caparison, or whatever Loomis uses. And while Yngwie uses a boost his tone is still a lot cleaner and clearer than most others.

• Members

Originally posted by Wizard7

This video is a perfect example of how one-dimensional he is.

lets hear him write some metal riffs, or play a solo that isnt demonstrating how fast he can play for once.

This is a real player right here

When his solo album comes out, i bet a lot of you will be changing your opinions on him. Besides, you even said you have 1 Nevermore CD, TGE, and that's not their best, nor is it a fair way to form an opinion on him.

Yngwie has been writing metal riffs on how many albums now? And doesn't he play rock, classical, and bluesy elements in his music. PLus you're looking at an instructional video for LEAD GUITAR there. What do you want to do, play lounge jazz just so you can hear how diverse he is?

• Members

Originally posted by STEEL KAGE

! Boy are you a douche!!!

AS far as the God thing, it was a figure of speech, get over it Nancy. Son:rolleyes: Surely you can do better than that you cowardly little Fanbitch?

Your language is a little juvenile for an almost 50 yr old man. Did you and Wizard of Oz go to the same etiquette school?

• Members
Originally posted by thegame

Your language is a little juvenile for an almost 50 yr old man. Did you and Wizard of Oz go to the same etiquette school?

Says the guy talking {censored} out of the gate because someone disagreed with his hero...

:confused: Im 43 and in better shape than you LOL!!!!

Come back when you have some better material and for the love of God, stop being so sensitive
:rolleyes:

• Members

Jeff Loomis is rad. Nevermore is pretty good at writing riffs for the whole band and the singer. I think we forget that it's music and especially metal. There are so many different flavors of metal nowadays that there is something for everyone.

Personally, Jeff can shred and he does so in a song context, that is great for me. But, I don't think I've ever heard his playing on par with that of Gilberts or Vai's etc. I just think that some of the great shred masters have more physical control over the instrument than him, thats all.

That being said, I think Loomis is doing more with his music than any of the big name shredders, and thats what really counts.

• Members

Van Halen > Malmsteen

Friedman > Skolnick

Dimebag > Petrucci

Loomis > Romeo

phrasing, riffs, songwriting, shredding, taste ... it's gotta be a whole package which makes the trully GREAT guitarists. None of the shredders really write songs/riffs worth anything. That's including skolnick, peterson wrote all of Testament's riffs.

Nope you're wrong sir Malmsteen> VH , you are correct on friedman> skolnick, Petrucci > dimebag no offense I liked dime's playing and was a great guy but nope and for me Loomis and romeo is a toss up !

Archived